Russia's unjustifiable war of aggression in Ukraine

Interesting to see Putin apologists blame Russia’s behavior before 1989 as “the Soviets done it”. When the USSR broke up, Russia (successfully) pushed hard the claim that Russia and only Russia was the successor state to the Soviet Union and that this is why they deserved to keep ALL the nukes, the seat on the UN Security Council, the former Soviet embassies, the foreign assets, etc etc. if they now say that the USSR was some former unrelated country, maybe these questions should be revisited...

Sevastopol, the fuel storage is on fire. At least 6-7 tanks burning there too, and the fire is visible from 60km distance.

it allegedly took only one kamikadze drone to create those fireworks

1682762180522.png

1682748501919-png.5043915

most likely it was the below:

Fu2kZR6WwAUgviV

one more photo:

b3d53f49f8e5ce8af24b5113be8de5b1.png

and here is the cherry on the cake! The same time in russian state tv:

Przechwytywanie.jpg

Are you ready for a holiday season on Crimea?

PS. I wish to go there one day, the place is really amazing!

a gentle advise from PL on how to deal with russian pigs (re: Mr. Finbar Cafferkey and russian embassy statement)

It says:
Representatives of the Warsaw mayor's office, accompanied by police, arrived at the school building at the Russian embassy and began breaking down the door after russians refusing to open it.

HERE is the link to it as PROC is keep on not displaying some of TT entries.

a second TT:

Some context:
orcs took over all former USSR buildings in Warsaw after the collapse of USSR. Many of which were never "theirs" legally due to the fact, that when Soviets were occupying Central and Eastern Europe they were doing what they wanted. This issue was a big thing for a long time, non-stop in courts, valid court rulings were ignored by the pigs etc. Thanks to russian invasion of Ukraine, things sped up a little. Orcs are forced to return illegally occupied buildings, they already lost so-called Szpiegowo (Spyville) - an apartment complex in the city centre used to spy on everyone and hosting embassy staff with their families. They also had to return "the recreational complex" just outside Warsaw, which was situated just right next to PL military complex and counter-espionage training grounds.
Simply they never bothered to pay any rent etc. They never had legal rights to be there. Those morons were trying few years back to retaliate in St. Pete's by changing the locks in Polish diplomatic buildings which caused a huge diplomatic scandal because... Polish buildings have established all legal matters for using it and as such are exterritorial to RF.

and here is an article from one of the main polish papers:

1682768090540.png

In an interview with the Russian propaganda news agency RIA Novosti, Andrei Ordash said that employees of the school at the Russian Embassy in Warsaw were ordered to leave the building. - Currently, they are walking around the facility, describing the property. School employees were told that they had to leave the building by 6:00 p.m. (Polish time - ed.), an adviser to the envoy of the Russian embassy in Poland reported.

Police in front of the building of the school operating at the Russian Embassy in Warsaw​

The portal tvp.info.pl reports that on Saturday, April 29 in the morning in front of the building at ul. Kielecka 45 in Warsaw, police officers appeared. This is where the secondary school is located , attended by the children of Russian diplomats and military men.

Saturday's activities are related to the enforcement proceedings conducted by the capital city hall. This information was confirmed in an interview with Onet journalists by the spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Łukasz Jasina.

The school at Kielecka and the buildings at Sobieskiego "should be handed over by court judgments"​

Information on this matter appeared on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in early March. The announcement concerned the "fastest takeover" of the school at ul. Kielecka, as well as real estate located at Sobieskiego Street in Warsaw. Both properties, pursuant to court judgments, should be transferred to the Polish State Treasury. - There are already all court judgments on the basis of which Warsaw can take over these buildings. We will try to do it as soon as possible - said the mayor of the capital, Rafał Trzaskowski, a month ago.

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs informs that the MFA has applied to the competent public administration authorities recommending the initiation of enforcement proceedings regarding two properties not used for diplomatic and consular purposes and illegally owned by the Russian Federation, i.e. properties located at ul. Sobieskiego 100 and ul. Kielecka 45 in Warsaw," reads the March announcement.

Russian high school and "espionage" in Warsaw​

Building at ul. Kielecka 45 was nationalized and then handed over to the Soviet side in 1945. A little later, in 1953, a Secondary School at the Embassy of the USSR was opened in this place. At that time, children of diplomats and military men from the USSR, as well as children of diplomats from Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary, studied at the facility. After the outbreak of war in Ukraine, the school was temporarily closed.

The buildings at 100 Sobieskiego Street in Warsaw's Mokotów district were built in the 1970s and, in accordance with international agreements, were to remain under the management of the USSR. Soviet diplomats, embassy employees and people associated with other Russian institutions and their families lived in two interconnected apartment buildings in the times of the People's Republic of Poland (the so-called "Spyville"). These people have moved out and the building has emptied, as you can see in the photos in the article shared above.

Here is one of the photo of the Spyville:

z28327346IH,-Szpiegowo--odzyskane-z-rak-Rosjan.jpg

Here is another interesting article from the polish press. Weekend edition, so many good articles is on. This one is about Rzeszow airport and the town itself.
For a bit of a context. Rzeszow is a small town between three larger cities: Krakow, Lublin in Poland and Lviv in Ukraine, it is being used as a logistics hub for supplying Ukraine. The number of the operations is massive, I can risk saying it would be similar to the Berlin bridge operation if not larger. The airport itself is very similar to Shannon airport and Rzeszow would be something like Limerick. So now let me cut the talk and go straight to the article (I am using deepl and correct myself) - happy reading!

e092e6c1508fb59a6668f6b6122a7a16.png

Rzeszow, welcome to Polish Ramstein. Where do the spies live? "They probably rent."

Some build apartments for Americans, others sell them strips (fried chicken - catcha) without a receipt. Rzeszow grew like yeast, now it cools in anticipation.

Early April. The Rzeszow market is empty, only in the corner stand green tents. Volunteers are collecting food for needy dogs from Poland and Ukraine. For now, the animals, which have been tied to their necks with colorful ribbons, are napping on concrete slabs, but in a few hours they are expected to give a demonstration of training and agility. The president will come and bring them food. People are still procrastinating, it snowed yesterday. It's after noon, but the city is sleeping.

I. Noise
Residents of Rzeszow heard the noise as Vladimir Putin announced the start of a "special operation" on February 24, 2022. Every three minutes, with a watch in hand, a fighter jet took off, landed, flew by, like a Chinese torture drop hitting the forehead.

The whole city in one big noise for two-three months. Even when Biden flew in recently, it was quieter.

Throughout that year, questions were raised. Is another Ramstein just being built here? West Berlin? A war hub? A small Brussels? Poland's second most important city? The world's gateway to Ukraine?

Where do spies drink coffee? Why do two-footed men pretend to be from aid organizations?

Why do boys in their thirties drive around the city in expensive cars with Ukrainian plates, while a man fleeing Lviv on foot with his wife and child is expected to return by footsteps in the snow?

Why did the state take credit for itself, boasting left and right, even though it only had a can of peaches for the refugees to begin with?

Will Rzeszow benefit from all this? In the name of what did the city sacrifice sacred peace?

z29700953IDR.jpg

II. Shiver
Diana Sarna, architect: - Our house is located higher up, for a year the planes have been close, coming up to land. We have a shiver on our backs, we know what they are flying with, it doesn't let you breathe. In other parts of Poland a person can forget that this is happening, here it is impossible.

Konrad Fijołek, President of Rzeszów: - On February 24, I was awakened by fighter jets. I thought, Putin will not win this war. We here know the Ukrainians, we have our historical past, they are a nation with character.

Pawel Preisner, developer, hotel owner: - I was sitting at the airport, my wife called, war broke out, what to do, come back. I've been in the business for 22 years, but in no time the earlier confidence that I had chosen well disappeared. I began to think: maybe it's time to leave? We tried to get used to the fighters. They circled day and night. It sits on your head. You feel that you are on the training ground. You don't know what the next day will bring and whether there will be any tomorrow at all.

Andrzej Ozga, pharmaceutical representative: - I didn't have a plan B and I don't continue to have one. If the Russians come in, I'll tell the kids to pack up. My wife and I will stay. The presence of the Americans reassures us.

III. Kebab keeps the secret
One kilometer to the base. They call, order three chicken salads, three times fries. Three Cokes are waiting for them free of charge. Regular customers, they do not carry rifles, civilians working for the army. They have the private number of Klaudia, the owner of a kebab container near Jasionka airport.

It's early April in Rzeszow, snow is falling, but you can walk in the container in short shorts. - We're getting warm from the chickens," states a woman with a reddish mohawk, cutting flaps from a meat roller.

Klaudia calculates: they used to pay 40 zlotys for a bottle of gas, now 80, for electricity a thousand, today 6 thousand. In the previous year they had to raise prices four times. Nevertheless, in the first six months of the war they made up for the losses of a year and a half.

- How about you Americans here?

- Workers may not speak English freely, but what they don't say, they will show you by sign. Polish hospitality, where will they be better off? - Klaudia laughs.

Some Americans tell them their stories. He lived with his parents, it became unpleasant, his grandmother took him, then his father, but it did not improve, the old man told him to move out. After two years on the streets of Florida he began to have problems with his eyesight, he was doing drugs, the army rescued him, he rented an apartment for the draft, they sent him to Rzeszow. Some have already returned to the States, but they remember, write, call on birthdays.

Americans are not stupid, although many at first thought they couldn't count. When the war broke out, chicken stalls were set up at the G2 Arena, an exhibition and convention center. The American staff was stationed there, and Duda met with Joe Biden, Anthony Blinken and Lloyd Austin.

- It happened that in other booths they did not give receipts to Americans, the latter got upset. They told us that they didn't know what they were paying for. Besides, it's expensive there, five strips and fries for 40 zloty, at my place they get a salad and a Coke, all for 26 zloty.

z29700845IDR.jpg

The door opens, several dark-skinned men enter.

- What you doin', bro? Where is your press card? asks the American, picking up the salads.

Neither he nor his colleagues smile, the container is silent, they legitimize the photojournalist with whom we came to Rzeszow. They top up their sauces, leave.

Maybe they thought they had hit on spies. Two weeks earlier, the ABW had detained six Russians; they were reportedly mounting cameras along the tracks. City Hall says they fell in because they were looking for some strange equipment and didn't want to issue an invoice.

They also had their spy in the kebab shop, but Klaudia asks that this not be described. Counterintelligence doesn't want it.

- Here we have a window on the whole world, we can see exactly what, when and where it is going. People have already learned that it's confidential. We keep the secret," says Klaudia

Behind the kebab, a block of flats is being built for American families. Before the war ar cost 8-9 thousand zlotys in Jasionka, now 20 thousand no one is surprised. A nice four-room terraced house can be rented near the airport for 15 thousand zlotys. In a lower standard, prices start at 5 thousand.

- There are more smiles on the street, we have somewhat forgotten that we are in the front line of fire. We try not to think about it," Klaudia pauses. - Let's not be charmed, they won't defend us all. But maybe nothing will happen?

- And how about those Ukrainians?

- There are different attitudes, many people are fed up with this aid.

A customer waiting to order listens to our conversation.

- I hear from companies that Ukrainians are protected more than Poles, they don't want to work nights, and employers go along with it because they get bonuses when they hire refugees," he says.

- Whose fault is this? - I ask.

- The state, it created the problem.

to be continued

Last edited:
IV. City of spies
Several-story apartments stand alone in the fields, two kilometers we drive in 40 minutes, there is no way to escape the traffic jam. A concrete skeleton towers over the river. You can see it from the empty market, people have buried themselves somewhere, there are no gardens yet.

Over the bustling intersection hangs a futuristic footbridge, under it in the middle of the sidewalk someone parked a car, fit perfectly under the steps, the concrete almost touches the roof of the car. The bus station looks like it did 20 years ago, the benches are wrinkling from the old blue paint, the only changes are digital timetables and USB ports for charging cell phones.

4c3baa674bc8f4a0fd3da39ccccc96eb.png

The train station is guarded by a tin fence, one walks as if in a maze, renovations are underway, passengers have escaped the cold into containers that make for a waiting room. A Georgian bakery is operating next door, a few kebab and hot dog stalls, you can sit under a plastic tent on a plastic chair, take a better look at the hundreds of billboards, recall the buildings you pass along the way. Each from a different fairy tale, in a different style, made of different material, and certainly in a different color. Every thirty meters a different Rzeszow.

In the city hall, empty corridors. English can be heard from behind tall wooden doors. The meeting is prolonged, and finally Mayor Konrad Fijołek asks to go inside, apologizes for being late, jokes that he has had to refresh his dusty language over the past year.

- Are you tired?

- I have been asked over and over again by foreign media, only they don't exactly mean me, but the people of Rzeszow," he replies.

He then explains to them that the opposite is true. Rzeszow residents are aware that it is necessary to help, because people are still dying there, fighting for freedom and peace, not only their own.

- We are playing the role of a military hub, which is not comfortable, but socially acceptable. It's better to help Ukraine in the war than to wait for recalcitrant Russian soldiers, who may fire something after three promos," says Fijolek.

He became mayor in mid-2021, when Tadeusz Ferenc, who had ruled the city continuously since 2002, stepped down from the post.

- My party is Rzeszow," Ferenc used to say. For some, he was a man who would be useful in wartime ("he would prove himself with his authoritarianism") - he was able to arrange everything, with one phone call push through issues that today are the subject of months of negotiations and disputes, the city during his term of office changed beyond recognition, in terms of area it grew twice, in terms of budget it grew six times, and the water from the tap began to be drinkable.

Others say that although he was once in the Polish United Workers' Party and then in the Democratic Left Alliance (SLD), towards the end of his life he turned to the right, anointed Marcin Warchol of Solidarna Polska as his successor, and put the city at the mercy of developers who put blocks of flats where they shouldn't. He died a year ago, with the prosecutor's office refusing to investigate whether he abused his power in construction matters.

Fijołek, who took over the city after Ferenc, has had a difficult tenure: pandemics, the Polish Deal, Putin, the energy crisis, inflation, infiltration.

- This is a city of spies. I can't tell everything, but sometimes I get signals: strange people show up, ask questions, try to go somewhere, see somewhere, hire someone for some activity," says Fijolek

He says the city's ticketing system was recently attacked by Russian hackers. He hired an outside IT company to defend it. - They haven't seen something like this before. We are being infiltrated, the Russians are looking into how to destabilize us and thus threaten the main aid corridor, he adds.

Alexander Sarna runs a design office with his wife, carrying out interior designs. - Near our office there is a parking lot, wide-shouldered men got out, said they were from aid organizations. Who would believe that? We often talk about Russian spies, but who will count how many spies from NATO and neutral countries are here? In Rzeszow, various countries obtain economic information and spy on each other.

3c5c90b62edb4761a6588ac3fab01c1e.png

Fijolek: - A certain European country sends two tanks, the ambassador arrives, with him embassy staff, followed by servants. The two tanks are driven away by 50 people. It's hard to get caught up in it. Where to meet a spy? American ones live in Bristol, others I don't know, Airbnb they probably rent.

Ambassadors he still recognizes, but only the more important ones. The mayor of New York invited him to visit, he asked how Rzeszow was dealing with refugees. The mayor of Taipei welcomed him to Taiwan, asked him what it was like to be "that city on the border with Ukraine."

From local business, someone had a cooperation with Saudi Arabia, the sheik called him and says: "Listen, I need to invest something in you, I think, because Biden has already been to you twice."

Word on the town is that Fijolek seems tired, this is not the term he set out for, and it's unclear whether he will run in the next election. - I start life at dawn, I finish work after 9pm, sometimes later, because I still have to go to some dinner," he says.

When he was awakened by fighter jets on February 24, 2022, he began to wonder what would happen to refugees. He was getting estimates that 5 million people would enter Rzeszow on a good day. A general friend gave him a piece of advice: help must be organized right away. It was Fat Thursday, he went to the train station, arranged for tea, sandwiches and doughnuts, and greeted the first trains overloaded with people from the East.

Luck in misfortune - the station had previously been prepared for renovation, many rooms were empty.

- How did Rzeszow residents know how to help? Maybe it was taught to us by Owsiak (a well renowned fundraiser - catcha)? - Fijołek wonders. - It turned out that we had not wasted the last years of building civil society. We weren't afraid to invite strangers into our homes. We used to say, after all, that we are not a society unfit for peacetime. We fulfill ourselves by charging at the tank with a saber.

7f52366d43baaa833e9fa13e204cdf39.png

Even at City Hall they don't know how many refugees there are in Rzeszow. 30, maybe 40 thousand.

- What does that take away? - I ask.

- Living on the sidelines, on the periphery. And that's a good thing," says Fijolek.

- What does it give?

- We come into contact with different cultures. It will become normal for children to have a friend from Ukraine, and see a black child on the street. We open ourselves to the world.

There are still Americans. At least 10 thousand, for how long? Officially, they don't say anything, but City Hall is working with a company serving NATO troops. The contract has been extended to 10 years. What will Rzeszow be like after that time?

- Little Brussels. A strategic bi-national city, crucial to Ukraine's integration into the European Union. With international institutions, the Americans, NATO.

- Where will these Americans live?

- Officer cadre in houses and row houses 15 minutes from the base. The rest 30 minutes away. Perhaps a small Ramstein will be built here. They are already walking around, asking for acres. Developers boast that they have preliminary contracts.

- Investments?

- Boeing is moving its research and development center from Moscow to Rzeszow. Engineers will work with us on engine solutions. I also know of more things, companies are standing in the door.

- Who exactly?

- I can't reveal yet. But there is movement everywhere," says President Fijołek.

He lists places full of traffic: his deputy sits at the gym, Americans enter, after a while there's nothing to grab for, hotels are occupied, apartments over-rented, pubs booked.

- Ordinary residents are not outraged? Prices went up, it got crowded.

- We need to find our opportunity in this, our answer, turn the downside into an upside.

Andrew, pharmaceutical representative: - There were drones flying over the border with cigarettes. Entire families, towns were living off the smuggling. It ended.

Liquor store owner: - Someone from the Americans came, bought so much whiskey that I never issued such an invoice at one time in my life.

Ula, IT worker: - Americans drink in the market, pack girls into cabs, want to get married.

Kinga, kebab owner: - Girls seek out Americans for themselves, it's a ticket to a better world for them. And soldiers benefit from the fact that tattoos are cheaper with us.

to be continued

Last edited:
V. A field of opportunity

- I was reasonably prepared for the war," says Stanislaw Mazur.

His Presidential Hotel stands in the center of the city. He has another one, the Ostoya Mansion, with an inn and a swimming pool, right next to the airport. He rents it out to Americans and tries to persuade them to eat prosciutto burgers. It's a local specialty - instead of a bun, flour patties with baking soda are used.

He begins the conversation by explaining what Galicia was. - We are a relatively poor region, but 150 years ago our ancestors had a pull to leave, mainly for America. Some of them returned. When Gierek came, again people were going to the States, drawn by their families. In such Kolbuszowa, there was hardly anyone who didn't have someone there.

That's where the knowledge that there was another world came from, Mazur adds, as well as the money to invest.

He himself provides an example. In 1988, he went to visit his family in New York. A doorman position at an apartment building owned by the Trump family had just become vacant. One of the first people he met was Trump senior - Fred. - He wanted to give me a tip, 20 bucks. In Poland, I earned 12 for a month. I defended myself, and finally he told me to accept for luck," he says.

z29700874IDR.jpg

Mazur greeted guests, cleaned, changed light bulbs and showed apartments for rent. At Trump's, he worked until 4pm, then saw patients as a doctor for three hours, and on weekends, he made money at an electronics store. - A total of 102 hours a week. I went for three months, came back after a year and a half. I probably earned three times more than other Poles," he recalls.

Upon his return, he reportedly bought the most modern ultrasound machine in the entire Rzeszow province. He then founded the Medyk chain of private medical clinics. Today he is one of the largest employers in the region, employing 1,200 people. Plus another 150 in hotels. During the pandemic, Mazur was called the king of vaccines. He is said to have vaccinated a third of the province. In 2019, his company had a 4 million zloty profit.

In the US, he also met Fred Trump's son Donald, the future US president. According to him, it was thanks to those acquaintances that he knew about the war a dozen days before it broke out.

- In mid-February 2021, I was in Miami, at Donald Trump's summer residence. Someone asked him if there would be a war. At that time he expressed that there would rather be. When? Rather soon," says Mazur

Even before that trip to the US, he had worked with the Americans setting up a base in Rzeszow. They showed up a month before the Russian aggression in Ukraine. Mazur's company prepared food for them.

After that evening in Florida, he wrote to his employees on WhatsApp to be prepared for war.

His wife wrote back: "Stupid, don't scare people."

Mazur's employees bought a thousand beds, hundreds of sets of bedding, blankets, pillows, sleeping bags, a full car of bandage medicines, food products with long expiration dates. They recalled what first aid is, received psychological training. In three days they organized a refugee center. - The city didn't have such fast execution capabilities," Mazur says.

He estimates that 40,000 people passed through his refugee center. They kept doctors, about 50 in total. - Genetically we are close, they come to us like we used to come to Germany, only there we were always the black sheep. We made them meet with police officers so they would know that in our country no bribes are given or taken," says Mazur.

008370e51ba50d4a88b7e5628e4229e8.png

He recalls how 150 Americans descended on the Bristol Hotel in Rzeszow in March. They were debating the reconstruction of Ukraine. - When we start asking to be included in it, they are already making plans where new airports will be built, where roads will be built, where something can be mined," Mazur says.

He heralds an acceleration. - The Adriatic, the Baltic, the Black Sea - what's in between? Rzeszow. We have a unique mission ahead of us, thousands of Americans need infrastructure, several thousand hectares under lease, apartments, houses, food. That's why I want everyone in my company to speak good English. We can be like South Korea, which grew thanks to the US. In the beginning they gave them plush toys to produce, today they are a technological superpower. We should function under the aegis of the Americans here.

Rzeszow's strengths according to Mazur? Traditional Polish family, traditional values. He pauses, takes a look, describes our Polishness: pronounced supraorbital shafts, spiky end of the nose, more plump calves in women. - Rzeszow has had a record low number of murders for years, he continues. - This gives the way of upbringing, the lack of a negative immigrant element like in London or Paris. There will never be few thieves there, there always will be, we don't have the exotic mix in Rzeszow as we do in the West.

z29700936IDR.jpg

Mazur runs medical care for the Americans - mostly civilians ("soldiers are healthy") -, persuades employees to learn English, gives bonuses for it, works with companies that back up the military, and helps find land for investment. He has just built 14 apartments for the Americans, there will be 28 in a block of apartments, on top of which he wants to erect five-story houses with a base of 35 meters for them.

- I go to the conservationist - it's possible, to the president - it's possible, to the starost - it's possible, to the head of the municipality - it's possible. Here things are possible that are not possible in Warsaw," says Mazur.

VI. Tight
Who is making money off of Rzeszow's new residents?

Tomasz, 50, in Rzeszow since birth: - Further family in Nike worked. Record turnover, Ukrainians bought everything out.

Bartosz, 40, in Rzeszow since birth: - My friend knows the owner of the exchange office, fat money they exchange, a million euros, 500 thousand dollars. There used to be no such thing.

And who doesn't make money?

Diana and Aleksander Sarn were born in Rzeszow, and run a design office here that carries out interior design projects in Poland and abroad.

Diana: - We worked on the project of a cosmetics factory. It did not come into being as it was planned at the beginning, the building stood, but the investor decided to finish the interiors on a smaller scale. And the factory itself has not yet started up.

Alexander: - We lost 60 percent of local projects. People don't invest in home furnishings as much as they used to. Businesses are drifting away, but the fear hasn't gone away. We know some who packed their suitcases and made their Dubai resident cards last March. They remained in permanent readiness to leave.

z29700904IDR.jpg

So are the houses close to where the Sarns live. They were built quickly, but stand empty waiting for more certain times. - I spoke with a concrete producer recently, he froze business for a while, now he mixes concrete further, but only for investments started before the war. He is not working on anything new. We are also thinking about it ourselves, we are not investing, we are watching," says Diana.

Andrzej Ozga, pharmaceutical representative, born in 1973, all his life in Rzeszow: - My family has not been affected in any way.

Ozga drives us to the airport, slowly, we stand a lot, the snake of cars barely moves.

- In the morning on the access roads cosmic traffic jams. Dozens of trucks, containers, ammunition. The previous president made a mess of construction, blocks of flats were squeezed in without a development plan, wherever possible.

It was possible and on his street, although it is one and a half meters narrow and only houses were put there before.

Diana Sarna: - A bungalow, a terraced house, in a moment big blocks, then a terraced house again. In the worst situation are those who were there first. Sometimes they have lost access to light. There is a lack of development plans and thinking about green areas for all residents of Rzeszow. Why are there construction markets in the city center?

Neither the war nor the big world can be seen in the city, by the airport, yes - cars with diplomatic plates and tinted windows are parked every bit of the way, Patriot batteries stand behind a grid just off the road, and soon it will be possible to get here by train.

- Concrete britches appeared in the city, Ukrainians came with cash, they supposedly bought several apartments for cash each, there are really a lot of them here, somehow they don't particularly bother me," says Ozga

Instead, he is annoyed that the government is credited with helping him. - If it wasn't for the solidarity of the people of Rzeszów, it would have been difficult. The government has failed. I didn't see people camping out in the streets, but that's not PiS's fault, it's ours. Rzeszów residents took in Ukrainians in private homes, it is still like that today. A social act.

z29700916IDR.jpg

What if the war extended to western Ukraine? - If a million come, there will be a problem. People don't want to get so involved anymore. The market has saturated, where will they find work? Here are the wealthier ones who do not require financial assistance. The next millions will need it. How will Rzeszow accommodate them? For now, I see mostly pats on the back. Whether any businesses will spring up remains to be seen. We have good advertising, everyone has already heard about Rzeszow, the US president has been twice. But I don't believe that the current government will be able to capitalize on this.

to be continued

VII. Concrete
A developer blocked off a path over the Vistula River with a tin fence, it was impossible to pass through, another erected an exclusive apartment building with wooden upholstery, the first residents moved in, and then the NSA ruled that there was no valid WZ-etta (planning permission - catcha).

- A couple of decisions were bad, several developers damaged the image of the industry in Rzeszow. True, there were times when someone put a six-story block next to a single-family house," says Pawel Preisner, a large Rzeszow developer.

Besides, he continues, the city has a negligible number of zoning plans, and this is the biggest problem.

- The plans breed public protests, discontent, resentment against the authorities, investors and developers. Meanwhile, they should organize urban order and clearly define the direction of the city's development. And not only in terms of housing, but also transportation, education and recreation," says Preisner.

- Was it easier in the past? - I ask.

- Yes. Procedures have become much longer, in many cases there is a reluctance of entrepreneurs to invest in this city. They choose other locations, places where development is encouraged and given space to create innovative development projects.

- How long does one wait for development conditions?

- I estimate that the process extends up to two years. The number of permits being written out has dropped dramatically. Developers are beginning to withdraw from Rzeszow. Residents don't understand the need for development. They wish nothing would be built, but by doing so they are drastically stopping the city's development and attractiveness. I have the impression that the city has held its breath, large investments are suspended. Not only because of the economic situation, but especially the administrative situation.

Stories about Ukrainians buying apartments for cash? - A rocker. Maybe 2 percent of all apartments we sold this way. There were a lot of transactions for cash, but in Warsaw, Spain, Cyprus, although there are a lot of Russians there. Ukrainians are renting apartments in Rzeszow and waiting to see what will happen next, they are not yet settling here permanently.

Amerykanie szukają działek pod budowę? – Nie spotkałem się z niczym takim. Składaliśmy im kilkukrotnie oferty, ale technicznie był problem, nie mogli kupić, musieliby dostać zgodę od ministra. Stawiają na wynajem nieruchomości, a tych jest już na rynku rzeszowskim niewiele. Nie pomaga temu sytuacja wstrzymywania wydawania pozwoleń.

z29700920IDR.jpg

Preisner is also a hotelier. He put up the Bacówka Radawa & Spa hotel an hour's drive from Rzeszow, 33 kilometers in a straight line from the Ukrainian border. In the first two days of the war, he lost 150 bookings. - Who wants to vacation where fighter jets are flying overhead? At the beginning of the war, tourism in the east was devastated.

Instead, Ukrainians showed up. They wanted to sleep in a safe place close to the border after a hard journey. Reservations were short. Then there were business visitors. Reporters from all over the world were looking for accommodation close to the border. - In March 2022, probably all the TV stations covering the war slept with us. Today the situation is slowly returning to normal, we are used to the war, people are not afraid to come," says Preisner.

VII. Silence
- God, how was it that people were not afraid to take strangers home, and those there were not afraid to come with us? - ponders Ksenia Sztuk, manager of the Kuk Nuk restaurant at the market.

He recalls that international correspondents were shocked when they first arrived in Rzeszow. - They didn't have a chance to show the poverty, the people lying on the streets, crying that they had no place to sleep.

She was born in Lublin, grew up in Kraśnik, lived in Warsaw for 10 years, and has been in Rzeszów since 2018, coming to help her sister. She thought it was more conservative here.

When the war broke out, she took in a family of refugees. They stayed for a while, their destination was Greece. They were among those who couldn't fit their suitcases of possessions onto the train. They arrived with a few nets.

- I looked for clothes for them, the warehouses would be full, I drove all over the city, but I couldn't find anything," says Sztuk.

She finally got a can of peaches and toys for the baby. Then she and her friends decided to open a help desk. People brought clothes, and they hung them up on hangers. In two days they collected hundreds of kilos, on the third they opened, and operated until the end of the year. Anyone could come in and choose something for themselves. Reporters also came in. - Since they couldn't find dramatic pictures, they tried to record anything," he recalls.

c011c5c92185c2db3ad267b05d845185.png

What has changed since then? The menu at Kuk Nuk is the same, they just translated it decently into American English. They are famous for their burgers from the coal-fired grill. They haven't yet recovered from the pandemic. - We do at cost, if we didn't have to compare with the competition, a burger would cost 80 zloty," he says.

It's lunchtime, but the restaurant isn't full at all, and you don't see the diplomats that President Fijolek was talking about. - When the American embassy makes a reservation, there's a 30 percent chance they'll show up. We have the impression that they make many reservations at once, you never know where they will end up," says Sztuk.

When someone important is supposed to show up, first the police arrive and make sure no one stops by the window. Then the security guards come in, check the premises, sometimes they announce themselves, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they are visited by servants, they want recordings of the premises.

Ksenia: - I don't feel that Rzeszow has developed, maybe it takes time. In terms of culture - poverty, you have to go to Krakow to listen to some music. If something has already changed, it's the people and the streets. We are more open, and the city has become congested.

Author: Dominik Szczepanski. Gazeta.pl journalist. Creates the series "Eco-Investigations." Author and co-author of books: "Spod zamarzniętych powiek", "Czapkins. The story of Tomek Mackiewicz", "There is no silence on the ocean", "The Vistula Trail. 1200 km of walking adventure", "Nanga Parbat. Snow, lies and a mountain to liberate". Participant of exploration expeditions to Chiribiquete National Park in Colombia, from the base camp at Nanga Parbat he reported on the first winter ascent to the summit of the Pakistani eight-thousander, aboard the yacht "Selma Expeditions" he visited Antarctica, from where he wrote about climate change.

=======================

I know, a bit lengthy but really worth a read and showing the conflict from the perspective of the busiest place in it. Sorry for spamming! Enjoy!
Excuse any translation errors etc. it was a bit looong one alright!

Interesting to see Putin apologists blame Russia’s behavior before 1989 as “the Soviets done it”. When the USSR broke up, Russia (successfully) pushed hard the claim that Russia and only Russia was the successor state to the Soviet Union and that this is why they deserved to keep ALL the nukes, the seat on the UN Security Council, the former Soviet embassies, the foreign assets, etc etc. if they now say that the USSR was some former unrelated country, maybe these questions should be revisited...
If you want to do that sure do that but why stop there the UN security council is not fit for purpose. It was constructed for a post 1945 world. Britain still had an empire, China was divided between nationalists and communists with no one in control yet. Many countries that are now regional powers like India, Brazil, South Africa, Iran, Turkiye and Saudi Arabia were not at the time. Revisiting the UN make up is actually a good thing.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

1st Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Love Lies Bleeding (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼