RTE: Radio, Telefis, Empty pockets

I see RTE are advertising another doc about the Kerry Babies saga, it's just endlessly recycling the same old material over and over.

If you saw this week's RTE schedule and one from 10 years ago, it would be near identical.
Repeats
Fair City (who actually watches this?)
Poor homemade copies of other successful formats
Angelus
Old shows from the Lidl bargain bin
Nationwide
Movies so old they're buying their first car

I see RTE are advertising another doc about the Kerry Babies saga, it's just endlessly recycling the same old material over and over.
To be fair, it's a series and last week's one on the Salins train robbery and how the Gardaí tortured false confessions out of three fellas was very good. I'd never heard of it. Shocking stuff altogether including one judge of three who was asleep for most of the proceedings in the special criminal court. There wasn't a shred of evidence against them bar the signed confessions and two doctors verified they were tortured but the judges still found the lads guilty.

Lyric is RTÉ'S saving grace, 2fm is an abomination but getting rid of Lyric would be an ignorant step.

Only a philistine would suggest selling it.
I agree
Which is why it should be sold off.
Not as you say “got rid of.”

But RTÉ is a behemoth and in my view it is incapable of running a classic fm clone in an efficient way.

Lyric has adverts: let a commercial operator run it.

Lyric is RTÉ'S saving grace, 2fm is an abomination but getting rid of Lyric would be an ignorant step.

Only a philistine would suggest selling it.
Lyric is only a retirement home for the older leeches. If people want to listen to classical music it shouldn't be at the tax payers expense. This is niche interest not public service broadcasting. Its like having an entire TV station dedicated to showing James Bond films.

Lyric is only a retirement home for the older leeches. If people want to listen to classical music it shouldn't be at the tax payers expense. This is niche interest not public service broadcasting. Its like having an entire TV station dedicated to showing James Bond films.
Public service broadcasting is not playing a load of muck that's being promoted by PR companies. That's nearly all 2fm is now. 95% of their output it geared towards people that hate music. There's already loads of stations around the country that cater for these people. There's no other classical station.

There's barely any alternative music on FM in Ireland. It would be great if 8radio got a permanent licence.

Dave Fannings weekend shows are very good.
move it to rte1 - listening to 2fm at work a few questions are raised - why does the breakfast show need 3 people on probably high salaries and one (doireann) has been given show after show that fails....Jennifer Zamperellis show is just her rabbiting on about sex like a randy teenager whose never got any, Every hour they have Gerry Ryan's useless daughter on 80grand a year just to read celeb mags and regurgitate what happened on some lame reality show/kardashian crap (couldnt they get an intern or a news reader to do that) and the rest of the shows are the same thing as what you'd get on today fm/redfm etc just a generic presenter with an american twang to their accenent.

RTE should be cut to 1 channel/1 Radio station with only focus on news/current affairs/sport relating to this country ie GAA, Hurling, Irish Soccer/Rugby teams,/irish music/irish movies and programming....RTE 2 is not needed as you can get your simpsons/big bang theory/other american shows fix on Channel4/Sky Disney Plus etc....A cap of 100grand for the actually highest wage you can get in the company, I hardly believe Tubbs/Darcy/Doireann Garrity/Lottie Ryan are being coveted by BBC/C4/ITV/America...whomever negotiates their contracts must have had a lobotomy...if they claim to be wanted by them, let them go, dont fall for their bluff.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼