Rome

Heading there for the bones of a week.

I want tips, tricks, insider information, what to see, what not to see, where to eat, where to get good beer.

Get on it.

:cool:
Try to walk as often as possible because on your way to places you'll see streets that are amazing and seem to be bursting with history. Bring a large empty plastic bottle to fill from public water taps. The water is perfectly safe to drink and if you buy it from kioscs you'll get fleeced. I remember that a small bottle of water was more expensive than a large can of Heineken in a kiosc outside the Coloseum.
As for eating, go to Tratoria's rather than Ristorantes which tend to be very expensive. Lots of places do a tourist menu which includes two courses(first one usually spaghetti) and a small garaffe of wine. Usual trick is to see where the locals go. It can save you a fortune.
Have a good trip.

Try to walk as often as possible because on your way to places you'll see streets that are amazing and seem to be bursting with history. Bring a large empty plastic bottle to fill from public water taps. The water is perfectly safe to drink and if you buy it from kioscs you'll get fleeced. I remember that a small bottle of water was more expensive than a large can of Heineken in a kiosc outside the Coloseum.
As for eating, go to Tratoria's rather than Ristorantes which tend to be very expensive. Lots of places do a tourist menu which includes two courses(first one usually spaghetti) and a small garaffe of wine. Usual trick is to see where the locals go. It can save you a fortune.
Have a good trip.

Jesus Christ, that's fucking barbaric.

Watch out for the Thieving Gypsy Bastards M8.

Tivoli Gardens outside the City is well worth a visit.

That's a given wherever I go.

Pompeii is worth going to alright, poor bastards ruined by the wind that particular day, had it blown a different direction they'd be grand.

I stayed on the Amalfi coast and a couple in the hotel said they found the day trip from there to Rome to be too long. Keeping in mind we were about a further 30 mins south of Pompeii from Rome.

Have a good trip.
Agree regarding the spaghetti. Try the shapes rather than hoops.

Trevi fountain is touristy but only cause it's so nice.
Eat in a street off piazza navona rather than on it for much better food and walk in the piazza afterwards.

Skip Pompeii. Too far from Rome and Rome has history on every corner. Spend time in the forum instead.
Eat pizza for lunch. Cheap but possibly the world's best.

Agree regarding the spaghetti. Try the shapes rather than hoops.

Trevi fountain is touristy but only cause it's so nice.
Eat in a street off piazza navona rather than on it for much better food and walk in the piazza afterwards.

Skip Pompeii. Too far from Rome and Rome has history on every corner. Spend time in the forum instead.
Eat pizza for lunch. Cheap but possibly the world's best.

The pizzas in Naples were the best I've ever tasted and Italians, who I know personally, back it up.
Your advice is good.

Some nice restaurants in the old Jewish quarter.
Yup.
There are 4 of them right next to each other. Nonna Betta, Da Giggetto, Il Giardino and the fourth I can't remember. Anyway, all 4 of them are REALLY GOOD and you cannot go wrong.

Do not go to restaurants near Termini station. 99% of them are poor quality tourist traps.

Trastevere has a good selection of restaurants too. Some of them are tourist traps but most are good.

Yup.
There are 4 of them right next to each other. Nonna Betta, Da Giggetto, Il Giardino and the fourth I can't remember. Anyway, all 4 of them are REALLY GOOD and you cannot go wrong.

Do not go to restaurants near Termini station. 99% of them are poor quality tourist traps.

Trastevere has a good selection of restaurants too. Some of them are tourist traps but most are good.

The Bella Carne (Kosher) ???

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Gilbert Steele

The Pav, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼