RIP Andy Rourke

Hard to believe the Smiths were only together for four years , one of the most influential outfits of the last 50 years.

Rourke played with Badly Drawn Boy for 2 years so may have seen him play. Cant tie down the dates.

Decent tribute here which bears out what I was saying earlier about Rourke's musical ability.

Rourke was as gifted a bass player as Marr was a guitarist: when fabled session bassist Guy Pratt was drafted into rehearsals following the drug bust, he arrived assuming no one would notice Rourke’s absence (“let’s face it,” he later wrote, “how many people would be bothered?”) but found himself marvelling at the “sophistication” of what he was expected to learn. In Pratt’s retelling, the general sigh of relief when it becomes apparent that Rourke’s arrest won’t stop him touring the US is almost palpable.

Listen closely to the Smiths’ records and the evidence is there. Rourke developed a complex but fluid style of playing, he said, to “overcompensate” for the fact that the band only had one guitarist. On 1984’s Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now or the following year’s The Headmaster Ritual, his bass and Marr’s guitar weave around each other with quite astonishing dexterity. On This Charming Man, meanwhile, Rourke works in perfect tandem with one of the most famous guitar riffs in the history of alternative rock, driving the song along in the process. If you tended to a romantic view of things, you might suggest the sound Marr and Rourke made together was evidence of their longstanding personal closeness.

Yeah he made a couple of comments about having a sensible approach to immigration and now he's a Nazi, far right, etc.

A man can't even have an opinion these days without being called a cunt by the peanut gallery.
Never knew anything about his political views tbh, it's just stories over the years of how he treats people.

A bit like Steve Jobs. A genius of a business man, and he's wrote some of the most inspirational texts I've ever read, and then you hear about how he was a fucking tyrant to work for.

I'm of to twitter now to post a heartfelt tribute to a man I didn't know from Adam (Clayton) to see if I can get some likes and retweets.

C u ltr.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th Apr 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼