RIP Andy Rourke

No question The Smiths have stood the test of time. Morrissey / Marr yet another all time classic English genius songwriting duo.
Was home alone for a day last month and played Strangeways end-to-end at strong volume - epic, they really went out at the top.

When they were recording their later albums, Marr used to work during the day with Joyce and Rourke. They’d put down riffs, piano, strings and solos and put structure on the pieces of music. Then Morrissey would come in at night and lay down vocals over the lads’ work. Next day, the three boys would gather to listen to the combined end product. The studio team were regularly blown away by what Mozzer could do with the music (apparently the whole place was in tears the morning they all heard “Last night I dreamt” for the first time).
Often what Marr had intended to be the verse, Morrisey used for the chorus and vice-versa. It all sounds very disjointed but the lads got on fine and their last two albums were epic. They only broke up because Mozzer wouldn’t agree to hiring a manager and Marr just couldn’t handle it any more.

Rourke was a classy bassist - and his passing is another part of the golden era of our youth gone forever. However, without the two boys, especially Johnny Marr, he probably would never have scaled the heights he did. Still, he played a big part on some of the greatest records ever made.

Great tributes from both Morrissey and Marr today. What a buzz it must have been to be in the Smiths - to be that tight with the rest of the lads in an era-defining group.

RIP

IMG_8490.jpeg

Both him and the drummer were suing Marr/Morrissey over royalties. Rourke settled out of court and there wasn't any hard feelings over it. The drummer had his day in court and won. Morrissey actively tells people not to buy their records because the drummer will be getting a big chunk of the royalties.
I'd say Andy was hard up for cash and settled for 80,000 sterling. Joyce stuck to his guns and got a £1 million pay out and 25% of any future royalties.

I'd say Andy was hard up for cash and settled for 80,000 sterling. Joyce stuck to his guns and got a £1 million pay out and 25% of any future royalties.
Listening back to the music Rourke was far more deserving of a share of the royalties, his bass guitar lines are an essential part of the songs, he wasn't a run of the mill musician, and his playing totally complements Marr's own genius.

We don't need attention seekers on twitter to point out to us how good a musician he was.

I hope Marr helped him out financially in his later years.

He was touring upto recently and doing gigs in New York. Plus Joyces action got him 25% of Smiths royalties. I doubt he needed handouts.

That Twitter jibe had better not be aimed at me m8 or youre getting a serious smackdown.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Terry Alderton and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼