Qatar 2022..

But what can they actually do? Just like with Ireland feeling cheated out of a place in the South Africa world cup there was a big campaign to get something done but FIFA didn't give a shit. Listening to Blatter early it's clear he doesn't give a shit now either. These guys answer to nobody.
Well, if there's a case for proving fraud then surely it can be brought to a court, no?

I know what you're saying but did the same people not vote on both?

The Russians wouldn't exactly be the most honest, sporting nation that ever walked the land. I'm pretty sure paying money to win wouldn't be an issue to them...

True.

To be fair, I was confident Russia would get vote as its part of FIFAs 'expansion' (ie new markets) programme..this was signalled fairly early. Spain could have similar grievences to England

The Qatar vote was a disgrace - they used to have criteria about a minimum no of host cities,distances apart and stadia etc. Oz would have been the obvious option I would have thought.

But what can they actually do? Just like with Ireland feeling cheated out of a place in the South Africa world cup there was a big campaign to get something done but FIFA didn't give a shit. Listening to Blatter early it's clear he doesn't give a shit now either. These guys answer to nobody.

Edit: Only the losers complain. If Ireland had got to SA with a dodgy handball nobody here would be complaining. Had England got the 2018 bid would they be investigating corruption???
Bit of a difference between a referee making a mistake that may or may not have caused us not to qualify and a potential world cup host bribing FIFA delegates.

Bit of a difference between a referee making a mistake that may or may not have caused us not to qualify and a potential world cup host bribing FIFA delegates.

Indeed, however my point that FIFA, Blatter in particular, don't give a shite about anyone, including England. Any decision they make is soley motivated by money. I can't see anything being done about it.

In wouldn't blame him for refereeing screw ups.

I would blame him for being one of the most despicable individuals at the top of any sport in the world at the moment (and sports administration seems to attract some real arseholes). Anyone who thinks he doesn't implicitly give his blessing to all the dirty shite that goes on in FIFA is living in dreamland. Even looking at him gives me the creeps. Being head of a the organisation that controls football competitions across the globe is one of the greatest jobs in the world and he has repeatedly disgraced the position.

Now, I'm perfectly willing to admit I have no clue about the history of people who've had his job. Maybe they were all as bad. I hope not.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Funny Fridays Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Listen To The Birds: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼