Pubs reopening June 29th

Yerra the only free houses at the end of the day are the ones that brew their own beer ,the rest are slaves to shareholders of big beer and pension funds ,paradoxically what you prefer is what’s is in effect a tie ,but you and I have been debating this for years

I don't think Joe Public really cares that much if the profits are all going to a local grandee or a dublin or dubai one, just as long as they can get a good consistent pint of their choosing for a reasonable price. Knowing that there is a lot of local employment is a major plus too imho.

I don't think Joe Public really cares that much if the profits are all going to a local grandee or a dublin or dubai one, just as long as they can get a good consistent pint of their choosing for a reasonable price. Knowing that there is a lot of local employment is a major plus too imho.
Yes it’s a sector that will really add jobs locally ,but joe public actually does care where it’s going ,demand for local independent beer is staggering ,in every sense ,I know it comes and goes every few years as some publicans will sacrifice their ciustomers choice for an all ireland ticket or an arse kissing seas down the pairc but the changes coming are transformative and like everything else to do with pubs is customer led ,you won’t be busy if you don’t give them what they want

A pub by its nature can never be part of a chain ,as the pub itself (clue is in the name) transcends the owner at any given time ,it’s almost a soul made of its patrons past present and future therefore you can not have common management or ownership structures ,
Those that tried failed ,it’s simply not a regular business ,note all the folks who tried to play corporate and add “group “ to their name ,they have an uncanny record of going bust a few years later ,loads of examples ,
But to use your logic you could argue that as we exist largely in a duopoly in ireland that every pub that does not brew their own beer is actually part of a chain given the generic offerings and it’s hardly good for business ,It’s like being in the beer version of the matrix,savvy punters know this and vote with their feet ,
I’ll make a bald statement-within five years all the good pubs in ireland will be involved in brewing their own beer ,onlt then will we have truly free houses and only then will that chain be broken,it’s an exciting time for real pubs

How are "all the good pubs in Ireland" going to stop being similarly "tied" if they're all INVOLVED in brewing their own beer - I note you didn't say actually brewing their own beer - many of the best pubs are far too small, or have far too small a turnover, to be actually brewing their own beer.

Changing the main suppliers from Heinekin and Diagio to 7 Sons of the Deer or whatever isn't going to transform the whole landscape that much and certainly wouldn't support "They're not truly free houses now but they will be, and then they'll be "real pubs" :unsure: type claims.

Yes it’s a sector that will really add jobs locally ,but joe public actually does care where it’s going ,demand for local independent beer is staggering ,in every sense ,I know it comes and goes every few years as some publicans will sacrifice their ciustomers choice for an all ireland ticket or an arse kissing seas down the pairc but the changes coming are transformative and like everything else to do with pubs is customer led ,you won’t be busy if you don’t give them what they want

"A good consistent pint of their choosing for a reasonable price" is the thing - though not forgetting a decent ambiance, (and good employer).

How are "all the good pubs in Ireland" going to stop being similarly "tied" if they're all INVOLVED in brewing their own beer - I note you didn't say actually brewing their own beer - many of the best pubs are far too small, or have far too small a turnover, to be actually brewing their own beer.

Changing the main suppliers from Heinekin and Diagio to 7 Sons of the Deer or whatever isn't going to transform the whole landscape that much and certainly wouldn't support "They're not truly free houses now but they will be, and then they'll be "real pubs" :unsure: type claims.
I made a statement ,I’ll stand by it ,all the decent pubs of ireland will brew their own beer .
You seem to be confusing ireland Witt the English model ,
We don’t have tied houses in ireland as tbe duopoply ensures a de facto tie ,this is beyond dispute ,
I’d love to meet you for a pint and a debate .

I made a statement ,I’ll stand by it ,all the decent pubs of ireland will brew their own beer .
You seem to be confusing ireland Witt the English model ,
We don’t have tied houses in ireland as tbe duopoply ensures a de facto tie ,this is beyond dispute ,
I’d love to meet you for a pint and a debate .

I'm not confusing Ireland with the English model - I lived through tied houses, long before microbreweries existed here. It was not as nice an experience as free houses.

The biggest issue was customers/punters/Joe Public/Call them what you will weren't always able to get their favourite tipple in a pub frequented by some of their friends. And alas that lack of choice seems to be returning.

If the microbrewery stuff is every bit as good as Heinekin's or Diagio's offering why not have all three available? Let the customer make his/her own choice rather than being presented with a "drink the stuff I brew or miss out on meeting up with your pals some of whom like my microbrewery offering" choice.

Or is it that the Bar owner knows that there's even more profit to be squeezed out of the punter if he can be cajoled into drinking the microbrewery stuff?

I'm not confusing Ireland with the English model - I lived through tied houses, long before microbreweries existed here. It was not as nice an experience as free houses.

The biggest issue was customers/punters/Joe Public/Call them what you will weren't always able to get their favourite tipple in a pub frequented by some of their friends. And alas that lack of choice seems to be returning.

If the microbrewery stuff is every bit as good as Heinekin's or Diagio's offering why not have all three available? Let the customer make his/her own choice rather than being presented with a "drink the stuff I brew or miss out on meeting up with your pals some of whom like my microbrewery offering" choice.

Or is it that the Bar owner knows that there's even more profit to be squeezed out of the punter if he can be cajoled into drinking the microbrewery stuff?
Yerra soundy I was born in a tied house in Sullivan’s quay ,I’d know a bit about it,the estates no longer needed to be maintained after all the small breweries were bought out and the ultimate supremacy of the duopoly established ,this is a fact .
Only fast moving lines get to stay on the bar so maybe you drink somthing rare or your friends are trying to avoid by frequenting independent pubs ?

Yerra soundy I was born in a tied house in Sullivan’s quay ,I’d know a bit about it,the estates no longer needed to be maintained after all the small breweries were bought out and the ultimate supremacy of the duopoly established ,this is a fact .
Only fast moving lines get to stay on the bar so maybe you drink somthing rare or your friends are trying to avoid by frequenting independent pubs ?

Independent of whom though?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Hot Blooded Animals

Coughlan's, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼