Pubs reopening June 29th

Soho is reopening soon under the name "Seventy Seven", which at the best of times is fairly uninspired and lazy name, but even more so when there's a bar called "No.76" less than a 10 minute walk away

7 seems to be in vogue number in the Cork nightlife industry at the moment, what with the excellent "Original 7" brewing company blazing the trail too

In fact, if you Google "77 Cork", it brings you to Original 7 brewery. 🤣

I'd say the Original 7 lads are delighted with the bit of free publicity from 77 👍🕺

With the minimum wage going up in January, that's obviously going to put pressure on publicans. Will they pass the costs on to the consumer or will they cut staffing hours?

Also will staff who are currently on more than minimum wage expect an increase in line with what current minimum wage employees are getting?

For example if I'm senior staff in a bar and am currently getting paid €15 an hour, will I want a bump when the lad collecting glasses gets moved up to €12.70 an hour?

With the minimum wage going up in January, that's obviously going to put pressure on publicans. Will they pass the costs on to the consumer or will they cut staffing hours?

Also will staff who are currently on more than minimum wage expect an increase in line with what current minimum wage employees are getting?

For example if I'm senior staff in a bar and am currently getting paid €15 an hour, will I want a bump when the lad collecting glasses gets moved up to €12.70 an hour?
22 c a pint moe,and I’d say up to a 50 c rise over 18 mths ,wages have to go up and will have to be passed on .
ireland will be an outlier with inflation next year ,
On the plus side what a time to be a teenager ,the parents are all pushing the kids out to work now as the days of little Johnny getting 50e going out on a thur is gone .
Subsequently the pubs and shops are full of young people spending ,irs like the 80s again ,
These kids have more disposable income every week than their parents have every couple of months ,it’s an extraordinary situation and leading to some very positive outcomes .

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Seán Parnell
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

15th Mar 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

All Eyes On Us

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼