Pubs reopening June 29th

I always thought to myself, if the one big brewery puts up the prices, wouldn't it be a smart move from the other brewery not to raise the price?
That way the second brewery may get a bit more business from being cheaper.

On the other hand, just pure fuckin greed, and gouging is all the rage these days.

How much money do these benders need to make like? It's not as if they are going out of business..

I spoke with a pub owner just last night about the Diageo increases. He actually had planned not to raise his prices but his accountant sat him down and showed him how much he'd be down over the course of a year if he didn't increase them in line with his competitors. So it was nothing to do with "needing" to increase his prices to survive, this was purely a case of preserving his profit margin.

Makes me wonder how many of the publicans saying they can't afford to pass increase onto consumers are actually doing grand, but want to make sure its the customers pocket who is hit and not their own.

Publicans know that Irish people will always find the cash for pints, and really is someone going to stay at home for the sake of an extra 20c.

If you're already absolutely bananas enough to pay nearly €7 for a pint of Moretti, an extra 20c isn't going to stop you.

Agreed on the breweries though. This is no longer about rising costs, this is pure greed driven.

I spoke with a pub owner just last night about the Diageo increases. He actually had planned not to raise his prices but his accountant sat him down and showed him how much he'd be down over the course of a year if he didn't increase them in line with his competitors. So it was nothing to do with "needing" to increase his prices to survive, this was purely a case of preserving his profit margin.

Makes me wonder how many of the publicans saying they can't afford to pass increase onto consumers are actually doing grand, but want to make sure its the customers pocket who is hit and not their own.

Publicans know that Irish people will always find the cash for pints, and really is someone going to stay at home for the sake of an extra 20c.

If you're already absolutely bananas enough to pay nearly €7 for a pint of Moretti, an extra 20c isn't going to stop you.

Agreed on the breweries though. This is no longer about rising costs, this is pure greed driven.
You're spot on there..
Definitely want it their owns pockets, not the customers. Greed/Gouging.

Might only be 20c, but all those 20c add up over time, and be a good total at the end of the year.

And think of all those 20c, multiply by the amount of drinkers in the Country, and there's no fuckin way any brewery cost has increased that much.

Haven't energy costs come down?? When are the brewery's going to pass that reduction on??

Greed/Gouging...

You're spot on there..
Definitely want it their owns pockets, not the customers. Greed/Gouging.

Might only be 20c, but all those 20c add up over time, and be a good total at the end of the year.

And think of all those 20c, multiply by the amount of drinkers in the Country, and there's no fuckin way any brewery cost has increased that much.

Haven't energy costs come down?? When are the brewery's going to pass that reduction on??

Greed/Gouging...

Like ultimately publicans are the ones who are paying the increased prices to the breweries, but they often talk about the consumer.

If you don't like the price that your supplier is charging, don't buy it.

No pub is being forced to sell Guinness or Heinomyte.

I'd say as well though that a lot of pubs are caught by the balls with things like sponsorship, and the jazz etc. If you start dropping Diageo products, good luck getting a cent out of them when the Jazz comes along.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against publicans and I have nothing but the upmost respect for the likes of King Benny, the aforementioned Stephen in the Liberty, Tom in Freds Zeppelin, or that fella who runs Original 7.

But some of the crap that other, lesser publicans come out with is just nauseating and scarcely believable.

Like ultimately publicans are the ones who are paying the increased prices to the breweries, but they often talk about the consumer.

If you don't like the price that your supplier is charging, don't buy it.

No pub is being forced to sell Guinness or Heinomyte.

I'd say as well though that a lot of pubs are caught by the balls with things like sponsorship, and the jazz etc. If you start dropping Diageo products, good luck getting a cent out of them when the Jazz comes along.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against publicans and I have nothing but the upmost respect for the likes of King Benny, the aforementioned Stephen in the Liberty, Tom in Freds Zeppelin, or that fella who runs Original 7.

But some of the crap that other, lesser publicans come out with is just nauseating and scarcely believable.
That jazz thing is a load of bollocks. Not everyone likes it. Personally I detest it.

Plenty go to town just for the atmosphere. And plenty bars have music, but no jazz shite.

We'll call him Prince Benny for now. I'm pm'd him during the week and he never got back. King me hole..🤣🤣

Some publicans are a laugh, make you fookin sick with the shite they spew.

That jazz thing is a load of bollocks. Not everyone likes it. Personally I detest it.

Plenty go to town just for the atmosphere. And plenty bars have music, but no jazz shite.

We'll call him Prince Benny for now. I'm pm'd him during the week and he never got back. King me hole..🤣🤣

Some publicans are a laugh, make you fookin sick with the shite they spew.

He's a busy man, people of his stature have lots of fans to reply to so can't get to everyone. I messaged Taylor Swift on Instagram around a year ago and never heard back, similar kind of story.

I actually like the jazz because neither of the pubs near me are on the trail and they look after regulars all weekend. One of the pubs reserves two tables for regulars and local people so no matter how mental it gets, regulars will have a spot to sit down or put their pint in comfort.

I'd have absolutely no interest in jazz either. A load of wankers in waistcoats all playing the wrong notes at the same time. One of the best things to happen in recent years is major non jazz acts coming to Cork that weekend. Last year we had Tony Hadley and the Charletans, and a few years ago even the mighty Mos Def came to town before deciding he didn't like the place and fucked off without singing a note.

The City Hall is a great venue now for gigs, hopefully there are a few there again this jazz weekend. Personally I'd like to see AC/DC or Peter Andre.

Congratulations to Stephen and all @ The Liberty Bar for winning Best Cork VFI pub 👏 A fantastic achievement from a small independent pub 🍻
Thanks MOE, We're absolutely delighted 😊 (and shocked 😁)

If you're about town call in and enjoy a pint of our new collaboration with the lads in Original7 (On us of course 😊) Or a nice Creamy Beamish, still only €4.90 👊

1000022249.jpg

He's a busy man, people of his stature have lots of fans to reply to so can't get to everyone. I messaged Taylor Swift on Instagram around a year ago and never heard back, similar kind of story.

I actually like the jazz because neither of the pubs near me are on the trail and they look after regulars all weekend. One of the pubs reserves two tables for regulars and local people so no matter how mental it gets, regulars will have a spot to sit down or put their pint in comfort.

I'd have absolutely no interest in jazz either. A load of wankers in waistcoats all playing the wrong notes at the same time. One of the best things to happen in recent years is major non jazz acts coming to Cork that weekend. Last year we had Tony Hadley and the Charletans, and a few years ago even the mighty Mos Def came to town before deciding he didn't like the place and fucked off without singing a note.

The City Hall is a great venue now for gigs, hopefully there are a few there again this jazz weekend. Personally I'd like to see AC/DC or Peter Andre.
Mos Def... Another fookin overrated clown who's so vain he manages to walk around all day with his own head up his own arse.

Waste of a sperm.

Thanks MOE, We're absolutely delighted 😊 (and shocked 😁)

If you're about town call in and enjoy a pint of our new collaboration with the lads in Original7 (On us of course 😊) Or a nice Creamy Beamish, still only €4.90 👊

View attachment 31862

I actually saw the Original 7 collaboration on Facebook, is that Nirvana inspired?

Great to see them doing beers for local pubs. The Shelbourne Bar up in the VQ had one as well, and they might even still have it.

Thanks for the warm invitation, I won't be having a Beamish as I don't drink third world stouts, but a pint of Nevermind might be nice.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼