Pubs reopening June 29th

Funnily enough - there's a chap in work who lives on High St. He said to me yesterday that he was in Fionnbarra's twice and Coughlan's for a few pints over Easter.

I asked him if he went to The Hyde Out.

"Nope. Can't trust the stout in there. I'm getting on but I'm not at the happily shitting my keks stage of life yet."

See it's not just me, the stout really is dodgy in there. It tastes watered down or something, and they're serving it far too cold so the head dies before you even take a sip

See it's not just me, the stout really is dodgy in there. It tastes watered down or something, and they're serving it far too cold so the head dies before you even take a sip
A guy who works for the brewery told us before that with modern lines and taps etc it should be extremely rare to get a pint that makes you sick.

You can still get a badly poured pint of course...I've gotten plenty of those myself...but something else is going wrong if its making people sick I'd say.

Maybe it's temp as you say or some contamination of the lines etc.

A guy who works for the brewery told us before that with modern lines and taps etc it should be extremely rare to get a pint that makes you sick.

You can still get a badly poured pint of course...I've gotten plenty of those myself...but something else is going wrong if its making people sick I'd say.

Maybe it's temp as you say or some contamination of the lines etc.

Or as Benny previously said here it could be something to do with the way the glasses are being cleaned. Not sure they do food in the Hyde Out and have problems with fats, but maybe something as simple as changing whatever cleaning agent in the glass washer might have a positive effect.

The girl Triona was very loyal, she worked the last night last night and was very upset. Very hard to find another full time bar job in Cork at the moment, which is crazy as a year ago places were crying put for staff.

The pub trade is in the eye of a storm and I'm not sure that a lot of people realise it, even those who are in the trade themselves. Stormy seas ahead.

I resent your comment about the man on Douglas Street being a knob though. He's a lovely man and now that he's able to fully focus on the Hyde Out I think he's going to do really well.
As it happens I have one full time post in a renowned racing pub ,I’ll fill it this week ,ask her to contact if she wants ,
On the staff situation what a great time to be a teenager ,living at home earning 300 e plus tips a week for partime work ,the amount of people looking for weekend shifts far outweighs available positions ,
15 e an hour January 2024 ,I don’t think this is what the LPC envisaged overall -middle class teens earning beer money while living at home as opposed to actual working families,
This was best sorted through taxation rather that supplementing the better off homes but of course what would I know .im the meantime a post covid issue solved ,ive been saying this for a number of years ,now its gone to pass but hats off to the youngsters coming through .

Or as Benny previously said here it could be something to do with the way the glasses are being cleaned. Not sure they do food in the Hyde Out and have problems with fats, but maybe something as simple as changing whatever cleaning agent in the glass washer might have a positive effect.

No they don't do food, but they have an excellent deal with nearby Novecento Pizza.

You can get any pizza and a pint for €20. Given that some of the pizzas are €17.50, that's a very good deal.

Available Sunday to Thursday from 4pm til close. Just order at the bar and take a seat, and your pizza will be delivered directly to your table along with some complementary napkins.

I’ve a theory on the ph value of north side and south side water as well in the cleaning process

Apparently yer man who owns the Southern Salmon is taking Barbarella

If he does half as good a job on The Gateway as he did on The Southern Star it'll be a very good bar imho. Think it's got great potential (now that the all pervading smell that blighted it years ago is gone) and I hope it reverts to its old name - as it's the oldest bar in the city and one of the oldest in the country.

If he does half as good a job on The Gateway as he did on The Southern Star it'll be a very good bar imho. Think it's got great potential (now that the all pervading smell that blighted it years ago is gone) and I hope it reverts to its old name - as it's the oldest bar in the city and one of the oldest in the country.

It'll be a very different operation I'd imagine. Both the Salmon and the Star benefit from being located in affluent areas, where as Barrack Street is essentially a student infested working class slum

It'll be a very different operation I'd imagine. Both the Salmon and the Star benefit from being located in affluent areas, where as Barrack Street is essentially a student infested working class slum

I think the guy knows how to run a decent pub properly. He'll change things that need to be changed and hold his nerve while the potential customers might take time to see the benefit. I'll be surprised if he doesn't make a good fist of it tbh.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cork Pride Parade
Grand Parade, Cork

4th Aug 2024 @ 2:00 pm
More info..

Route66

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼