public sector vs private sector

Bottom line, the drain on the country's finances by the Public sector wage bill is unsustainable.

The Unions can stamp their feet and gnash their teeth all they like, it's only a case of when and not if.

I'd like to see the money the likes of those glorified chancers Begg and O'Connor are on.

This Govt, didn't have the balls to stand upto the unions last time out and now they're reaping the dividends.

It's not rocket science.

Political appointees like O'Connor have had their head in the trough for so long that they are completely detatched from reality.

Calling for pay increases when the country is teetering on bankruptcy would be funny if they wern't actually serious.

Leave the arseholes strike til they're blue in the faces, see where it gets them.
It's a soft line on Unions has this country in the state it's in.

It's extraordinary how that old British empire strategy of divide and rule still works its magic on paddy. If, as may well happen, public sector workers bend over and take more cuts to pay, then all those savings will go to feed the monster that is nama. Everybody knows this deep down, yet they get some kind of atavistic pleasure from bashing public service unions as if they are somehow holding the country to ransom, not the snake trilogy of FF, Developers and Bankers whose actions will bring this country to its knees for at least 25 years.

FAS Board of Management: Public Sector. DCC: Private sector. Irish Rail: Public sector. Anglo Irish (formerly), BofI and AIB: Private sector. Brian Cowen, Rody Molloy, Patrick Neary: Public sector. Michael Fingleton, Liam Carroll, Jim Flavin: Private Sector.

What do all these people/institutions have in common? They are all guilty of running the country into the ground. What else have they in common? They all run the country, one way or the other. What else have they in common? They all have a vested interest in setting ordinary people against one another, the better to distract them from the real causes of the state we are in.

PS rebelicecreamman, every public service pay cut will mean less discretionary spending, which means less money on icecream for the kids.

They put motor tax renewal online. This meant that most people now renew their motor tax online at home.

They automated the process.

Meanwhile they hired more people to work in the motor tax office out by the county hall.

There was an explosion in planning applications because of the property bubble. They hired more planning officers.

The bubble imploded.

All the additional planning officers are still in County Hall twiddling their thumbs in full time permanent pensionable employment.

They signed a lease to move the library from the top of Shandon Street to a new building in Blackpool Shopping centre.

The councillors on City Council voted against it on Monday night. The City Council now has to pay the developer who owns Blackpool Shopping Centre €400,000 in "penalty fees" for cancelling a lease on a property that nobody wants.

€400,000 could go a long way towards funding an anti-heroin project.

:sad:

They put motor tax renewal online. This meant that most people now renew their motor tax online at home.

They automated the process.

Meanwhile they hired more people to work in the motor tax office out by the county hall.

There was an explosion in planning applications because of the property bubble. They hired more planning officers.

The bubble imploded.

All the additional planning officers are still in County Hall twiddling their thumbs in full time permanent pensionable employment.

They signed a lease to move the library from the top of Shandon Street to a new building in Blackpool Shopping centre.

The councillors on City Council voted against it on Monday night. The City Council now has to pay the developer who owns Blackpool Shopping Centre €400,000 in "penalty fees" for cancelling a lease on a property that nobody wants.

€400,000 could go a long way towards funding an anti-heroin project.

:sad:

Jesus wept.

Time to park gravy train boys.

It's extraordinary how that old British empire strategy of divide and rule still works its magic on paddy. If, as may well happen, public sector workers bend over and take more cuts to pay, then all those savings will go to feed the monster that is nama. Everybody knows this deep down, yet they get some kind of atavistic pleasure from bashing public service unions as if they are somehow holding the country to ransom, not the snake trilogy of FF, Developers and Bankers whose actions will bring this country to its knees for at least 25 years.

FAS Board of Management: Public Sector. DCC: Private sector. Irish Rail: Public sector. Anglo Irish (formerly), BofI and AIB: Private sector. Brian Cowen, Rody Molloy, Patrick Neary: Public sector. Michael Fingleton, Liam Carroll, Jim Flavin: Private Sector.

What do all these people/institutions have in common? They are all guilty of running the country into the ground. What else have they in common? They all run the country, one way or the other. What else have they in common? They all have a vested interest in setting ordinary people against one another, the better to distract them from the real causes of the state we are in.

PS rebelicecreamman, every public service pay cut will mean less discretionary spending, which means less money on icecream for the kids.

Banging on about 'de builders and de bankers' isn't going to solve the problem of an unsustainable public sector wage bill.

The sums don't add up Corky.

Not only is there a need for pay cuts, jobs need to go as well. We have approx 300,000 public service workers in a country of 4 million. Insane and unsustainable. Also we need a public service that is giving us value for money.
Everyone should work a 40 hour week and the timekeeping needs to be implimented. Job protection should only be applied to those who perform above a certain standard. Expenses need to be cut back drastically. Maybe then things will level out.

Long-term, huge areas of the public sector need a major overhaul. This is where large savings with improved services can be obtained. Less pen-pushing chiefs in the health service, for example, and more frontline staff. Less waste, more flexible management thinking and a more adaptable workforce within our public sector needs to be achieved.

Whilst I agree that Nama is a financial scandal and will probably be a millstone around our necks for generations, the reality is everyday public spending has spiraled out of control. This is an issue that needs to be tackled with a sense of urgency, in its own right. Short term solutions are paycuts or redundancies. Redundancies would lead to a further erosion of state services,and a greater strain on the exchequer. That leaves paycuts as the only viable option. Those cuts should, of course,begin at the top, starting with politicians, who are meant to be public servants, afterall.

Corky, I am well aware of the impact that less money in the economy has on discretionary spending. I'm there already, and I don't expect it to get any better any time soon. To compound this, my better half works in the public sector, so when I advocate public spending cuts, I do so fully aware of the impact on the net income of my household. Equally, without a properly functioning banking system, my business and its six employees are toast. We can argue all day about how best to restore the banking system, but the reality is that NAMA gives us a reasonable chance of doing so over time with little or no net cost to the taxpayer. The money raised for NAMA is not on the current side and would not be available to us for current spending. Those who allow people to think that it would are behaving irresponsibly and to their own ends.

So, we are left with the original equation. Current spending: 53million odd. Current revenues: 33million odd. Thats borrowing 400 million euro a week to pay the public service. Unsustainable. And when I agree that the spending must be cut I do NOT do so glibly, and I do so in full realisation of the impact on my own circumstances. I'm angry as hell about it. I've never voted for FF and that entitles me to say none of this is my fault, but we are where we are now, and the realities must be dealt with. Bellyaching about builders, bankers, and politicians will get us nowhere.

So,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Dirty Circus
The Pav, Careys Lane

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼