Premier Intermediate hurling 2021

Castlelyons must have a mental block about winning this championship. All the hard work done again and couldn't see it over the line

Up 1-16 to 0-14 after 18 mins in the driving seat. Courceys then with 1-5 without reply

Courceys out worked them big time, castlelyons seem to lack that fight for the battle. Brilliant when ahead but crumble when the pressure comes on late in a game

Madness I think playing Niall o Leary in forwards, himself and colm Spillane had little impact on game. Nearly better off playing them both in their best positions.

Castlelyons must have a mental block about winning this championship. All the hard work done again and couldn't see it over the line

Up 1-16 to 0-14 after 18 mins in the driving seat. Courceys then with 1-5 without reply

Courceys out worked them big time, castlelyons seem to lack that fight for the battle. Brilliant when ahead but crumble when the pressure comes on late in a game

Madness I think playing Niall o Leary in forwards, himself and colm Spillane had little impact on game. Nearly better off playing them both in their best positions.
Spot on with that post. They really just pulled up the closer the finish line came within sight. They still don’t know where to place their best players and in the end got caught.

Spot on with that post. They really just pulled up the closer the finish line came within sight. They still don’t know where to place their best players and in the end got caught.
100%
They hit great scores all game but nobody stood up in the last 5 mins when the need was greatest. Surely it would have made sense to put back Spillane for the final quarter and shore up things in defense.

Castlelyons should be back but I guess nothing is guaranteed. Each year they shoot the lights out in group stages and get talked up but really seem to lack a bit of resilience when things get difficult. Even last year, Spillane got injured first minute and some players almost threw in the towel immediately
They definitely have the players and skill but I think it's a mental thing at this stage with them

Spillane has been playing in the forwards the last two years for them besides that, Colm Barry is as good if not better FB

Complete lack of leaders in that Castlelyons team. Where were Niall O'Leary and Colm Spillane when their need was greatest? At this level an intercounty player should be able to impact regardless of position. The two lads were well and truly AWOL in tonight's game and last 15 mins in particular. Well done to Courceys but imo the East Cork side should be winning that game tonight and the reason they didn't is because their big players didn't turn up.
100%
They hit great scores all game but nobody stood up in the last 5 mins when the need was greatest. Surely it would have made sense to put back Spillane for the final quarter and shore up things in defense.

Castlelyons should be back but I guess nothing is guaranteed. Each year they shoot the lights out in group stages and get talked up but really seem to lack a bit of resilience when things get difficult. Even last year, Spillane got injured first minute and some players almost threw in the towel immediately
They definitely have the players and skill but I think it's a mental thing at this stage with them

The thing about Spillane and NOL is that they have both been known to be markers for Cork so it’s strange they’d be used as forwards for their club.

One of them would ideally be centre back but if they wanted to give both a chance to be influential on the game then they should just both be midfield.

Well done to Courcey Rovers on a great win last night! Down 8 points on the 35th minute. They found themselves only down 2 points at the final water break. But you could sense from the team huddles at that final water break that Courceys were gonna push on. The Courceys players and management were pumped up to the last whereas Castlelyons looked flat.

I have to echo the comments on Castlelyons already. Tactically they lined up all wrong. Having two intercounty defenders up in the forward line for the whole hour while being non existent up there and Jerry O' Neill and Seán Twomey causing havoc for Courceys at the other side of the pitch. It was mind boggling really. Castlelyons also don't seem to have the stomach for battle when it is put up to them. They totally lost their way. A trait that has been associated with them before.

Just a word on Seán Twomey. I thought he was absolutely outstanding last night. He is big and agile and has a good ball winning ability. But it was his sheer power which stood out to me the most. He was able to physically take on 3 to 4 defenders at a time and still break the line and subsequently get pulled down to win frees. Seán Twomey is a guy I'd love to see start for Cork in the league next year.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jack L
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Gerald Ahern

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼