Pound Sterling R.I.P?

I can see the pound at parity (or worse for a short time) with the Euro, but I don't think they'll join the Euro. The dollar will probably also plummet late next year/2010

The brits won't be joining the euro any time soon, and the pound will suffer for it. The British are just too proud of losing their pound. I can see the € levelling against the £, then this will cause a crisis in Britain and may force a general election.

ah thats the brits problem not ours ur right they are too proud to enter the euro
fuck them we are gaining from it:D

That's a tricky one to say. It does mean that our assets are worth more, but it also makes our exports are more expensive.

More importantly, it would mean that our nearest neighbour and largest trading partner would become steadily less wealthy and that's not in our interest.

Would you like some more stones to lob from the battlements of our glasshouse then?

I have properties over there so council taxes & charges are going to cost me a whole lot less next year as a result.

They will have to consider joining the Euro and get over their "little Englander" mentality as long term the dollar & Sterling are in trouble.

The Germans stuck it to them last night quite well I thought.

I'm just grateful that we are in the Euro. I do a bit of business in the UK, and I increased my charges by 10% last week in the wake of the weakness of their currency. Luckily I am in a very niche high tech market so I can get away with it, but I wouldn't like to be exporting "commodities" over there as it were.

The UK cut their VAT rates in order to stimulate consumer spending which is what got them into this mess in the first place. A French analyst yesterday said that they would not follow that course of action, as that would mean that French consumers would "just buy more Chinese television sets."

Instead, they are going to spend more on capital infrastructural projects like more railways, motorways and school building in order to keep the money in France. So are Germany. And funnily enough, little old Ireland is maintaining it's capital infrastructural investment programme for next year and has increased VAT rates. Our capital spending for next year will be 6% of GDP, whereas the French and Germans are increasing their spending to 1.5% of GDP in order to stimulate their economies.

We are repairing an infrastructure deficit, granted, but we would be much worse off if we cancelled all capital infrastructure investment and were outside the Eurozone.

We should count ourselves very lucky that we are in Euro-land, we would be crushed by now but there's strength in numbers!

Ireland will vote Yes to Lisbon in light of recent issues and the scaremongering of LIEbertaS will be ignored next time round!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Noughty Club Night

The Pavilion, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼