Paris Olympics, 2024

Our man Pazzaia was in second at half way and faded down the stretch.

Gave it a good whack.

Mens 8+ was a great finish. Ita from Can by inches. Yanks in 1st

Last edited:
Our man Pazzaia wad in second at half way and faded down the stretch.

Gave it a good whack.

Mens 8+ was a great finish. Ita from Can by inches. Yanks in 1st
Must look for the VIIIs race online. Luzern really is desparation stuff, a real last-chance saloon for Olympic hopes (and by extension rowing careers).

It's important to remember though that the makeup and performance of different boats changes over the qualification year. Just because you didn't qualify in Belgrade and had to wait until Luzern doesn't mean you're worse than the boats already qualified - everything is reset to zero in Paris (or Vaires Sur Marne to be precise) in July. Last time around, for example, the New Zealand VIII (eventual gold medal) and the Irish Women's IV- (eventual bronze) qualified at Luzern.

We’re just 10 weeks out from the games and I don’t think there’s a thread yet on Paris 2024.

From an Irish standpoint, I can’t remember ever having this many medal prospects going into a games:

• On the athletics side, Adeleke and Mageean could be reasonably expected to challenge for podiums, and both the 4X400 relay teams (depending on what Adeleke runs) are also in the shakeup. Mawdsley might do some damage if she can keep her run of form going but realistically, a final is her target

• There are already an unprecedented SIX boats qualified for the rowing – with the possibility of 0, 1, 2 or 3 more over the coming days as the “Regatta of Death” in Luzern continues through the semi-final and final stages. O’Donovan and McCarthy are clearly the main contenders but at least three of the other boats are definitely in the podium mix

• In gymnastics, Rhys McLenaghan is world champion on the pommel – you can’t ask for a stronger entry ticket than that

• Meanwhile, in the pool, Daniel Wiffen is the standout chance for an Irish medal - in both 800 and 1500m – with Mona McSharry hopefully making a final and Ellen Walshe making an impression too

• I’m not that strong on the boxing but Kellie Harrington is defending champion, albeit that she’s having a patchy season and spends a lot of time in the media in the non-sports sections. Presumably there are other strong boxers too?

• Sailing and equestrian produces the odd contender – don’t know how we’re rated there this time

Outside of that you have stuff like Hockey or Rugby sevens where we may make an impression. Either way it’s going to be epic stuff – and with TV3 covering the Diamond League meets through June and July, the buildup will be excellent.
I expect Adeleke to medal in the 400 if the relays do not fuck her up, though at 21 she is very young for a 400 runner who peak at about 26. She is the female version of Bolt so the sky is the limit

I expect Adeleke to medal in the 400 if the relays do not fuck her up, though at 21 she is very young for a 400 runner who peak at about 26. She is the female version of Bolt so the sky is the limit
I agree she had a good chance at a medal but the Bolt comparison is a bit off.

He was breaking age grade world records pretty much every year from age 16.

The Bolt equivalent is Sydney McLoughlin Lavrone. Also broke every age grade record from age 15. Went 22.07 over 200m at the weekend. Adeleke's NR is 22.3mid I think, she's run a few European leads but never an area record i think. I'd say SML hasnt run a 200 in years

SML confirmed she's not running the flat 400m so great news for Rashidat.

Adeleke is an absolute sensation but Bolt was a unicorn.

Adeleke can't run the 4x400m heats, its on the morning of the final on 9th Aug. Becker, Mawdsley, Healy and Harrison will need to get it done for her. the Final is on the 10th.

Re: Medleys, i hope she skips the heats of the mixed on the 2nd Greene, Barr, Becker and Mawdsley should have enough. Final is the 3rd,

But the rest of the schedule is good,
Day off on the 4th Aug, Heat on the 5th should be a relative jog. 6th semi, Final on the 9th after 2 days rest

If Mawdsley makes the final of the 400m (not impossible but not likely) the 4x400m chances would take a hammering.

Last edited:
She is a huge talent liathroidY but she is no Bolt - not yet anyway. Bolt slaughtered all around him all the way up, smashing world records along the way. The pic is taken from the Olympic final in Bejing - wins the biggest race in four years by a street, wins it literally pullling up, and destroys the world record while he's at it. He was just 21 - a year younger than Adeleke is now.

1716301241165.png

She is a huge talent liathroidY but she is no Bolt - not yet anyway. Bolt slaughtered all around him all the way up, smashing world records along the way. The pic is taken from the Olympic final in Bejing - wins the biggest race in four years by a street, wins it literally pullling up, and destroys the world record while he's at it. He was just 21 - a year younger than Adeleke is now.

View attachment 33039
Bolt never ran the 400 where the peak is about 26 years. It is the toughest race in athletics and I am sure if Bolt trained for 400 he would have smashed Ml Johnsons record but he never put himself through the pain barrier of 400 training--the 100 and 200 was a lot easier.

Lads, we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves with Mawdsley in an Olympic individual final. Getting to the semis and putting in a decent 50.xx second run would be fantastic. But top 8? Nah. Say one thing though, if both Bol and the Yank do the hurdles and not the flat 4, then Adeleke has a great shout at a medal.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cork Pride Parade
Grand Parade, Cork

4th Aug 2024 @ 2:00 pm
More info..

Chris McGrath

Arty's Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼