Paris Olympics, 2024

We’re just 10 weeks out from the games and I don’t think there’s a thread yet on Paris 2024.

From an Irish standpoint, I can’t remember ever having this many medal prospects going into a games:

• On the athletics side, Adeleke and Mageean could be reasonably expected to challenge for podiums, and both the 4X400 relay teams (depending on what Adeleke runs) are also in the shakeup. Mawdsley might do some damage if she can keep her run of form going but realistically, a final is her target

• There are already an unprecedented SIX boats qualified for the rowing – with the possibility of 0, 1, 2 or 3 more over the coming days as the “Regatta of Death” in Luzern continues through the semi-final and final stages. O’Donovan and McCarthy are clearly the main contenders but at least three of the other boats are definitely in the podium mix

• In gymnastics, Rhys McLenaghan is world champion on the pommel – you can’t ask for a stronger entry ticket than that

• Meanwhile, in the pool, Daniel Wiffen is the standout chance for an Irish medal - in both 800 and 1500m – with Mona McSharry hopefully making a final and Ellen Walshe making an impression too

• I’m not that strong on the boxing but Kellie Harrington is defending champion, albeit that she’s having a patchy season and spends a lot of time in the media in the non-sports sections. Presumably there are other strong boxers too?

• Sailing and equestrian produces the odd contender – don’t know how we’re rated there this time

Outside of that you have stuff like Hockey or Rugby sevens where we may make an impression. Either way it’s going to be epic stuff – and with TV3 covering the Diamond League meets through June and July, the buildup will be excellent.

• There are already an unprecedented SIX boats qualified for the rowing – with the possibility of 0, 1, 2 or 3 more over the coming days as the “Regatta of Death” in Luzern continues through the semi-final and final stages. O’Donovan and McCarthy are clearly the main contenders but at least three of the other boats are definitely in the podium

Worth mentioning here the Mens 4- is 100% produced from Cork City Clubs

Jack Dorney is Shandon BC but i think he learned to row in Pres currently at Harvard

Andew Sheehan is Lee RC currently at UCC RC

John Kearney I think is from Ballinhassig but came up through Cork Boat Club Currently at UCCRC

Ronan Byrne is Shandon BC

yer man Fionnán McQuillan posted that he was out of the boat about a month ago after posting a 5:47 Erg, so either he is a complete duffer in the boat or the rest of them are flying. They're not qualified yet though

I think that's this weekend right?

To the best of my knowledge the IV- aren't in the mix GuapoY - they'll have to row on and build within the squad over the coming years
Ha! Whadda Langer. i should have checked who is it so? Sanita, The Womens Four and who else?

Edit: Sculler Konan Pazzaia from Queens..no fawking idea who he is to be honest

You're dead right, BT. We've usually had one star who was a very good medal chance and a few you'd be hoping would do well. Even the likes of Carruth was not even on the radar for the general sporting public.

Ha! Whadda Langer. i should have checked who is it so? Sanita, The Womens Four and who else?

Edit: Sculler Konan Pazzaia from Queens..no fawking idea who he is to be honest
Pazzaia is Swiss - rowed there as a kid and represented them in underage competition.

He came to QUB to study science and got pulled into the rowing club and then the Ireland High Performance program. He won a bronze and a gold in the double in the world U23 in the green singlet. He was also in the senior quad at Belgrade last year but they didn't medal.

Apparently he is going very well this season but it's going to be a seriously tall order to make Paris. There are four rounds of competition in Luzern and you need to be top 2 in the final to get on the plane.

The WIV- is the best chance from Luzern

You're dead right, BT. We've usually had one star who was a very good medal chance and a few you'd be hoping would do well. Even the likes of Carruth was not even on the radar for the general sporting public.
Yeah, there is always a chance of some stardust.

I remember the Kayack Slalom fella Eoin Reinish? finishing 4th after going off first or second in the final an posting the time of his life and only getting shunted out of Bronze on the last run of 12 or 15 athletes. There is always a chance like.

AFAIK Jack Wooley the Tawkwondo fella is good. Underperformed in Tokyo and is a European medalist. And the Badminton fella Nhat Nguyn has shot up the rankings but is against a deep deep pool of Asian talent

Yeah, there is always a chance of some stardust.

I remember the Kayack Slalom fella Eoin Reinish? finishing 4th after going off first or second in the final an posting the time of his life and only getting shunted out of Bronze on the last run of 12 or 15 athletes. There is always a chance like.

AFAIK Jack Wooley the Tawkwondo fella is good. Underperformed in Tokyo and is a European medalist. And the Badminton fella Nhat Nguyn has shot up the rankings but is against a deep deep pool of Asian talent
He was fierce close, and not even our best ever chance at a medal in slalom. That was Ian Wiley, who was probably the most technically skilled in the world at the time, but he just didn't have the raw power for how they used to set up the Olympics courses then. Then he got done by an incorrect call for a miss rather than a touch. Wouldn't happen today.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

18th Sep 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy (Crystal Bar)

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼