Our roads are lagging behind...

Dolphin75

Seriously, look at the bloody awful traffic in and around the city these days. :(

Cork got a fair amount of roads investment in the 90s with the N40 south ring, the N8, N25, Jack Lynch tunnel but apart from the M8 to Dumpland, it's basically been crumbs from the table since then.

The M28 to Ringaskiddy is urgently needed, as is the M20 to Limerick to replace the existing death trap goat track. Macroom is a nightmare to drive through and the N71 needs much more dualling. I'm not even mentioning the North Ring motorway which is also needed in the medium-term.

Meanwhile, the rest of the country gets mega roads projects galore. What are our politcos doing about this? Coveney? Mehole? Buttface et al?

It's holding the city and the county back.

Plus the city needs a tram running East-West from Mahon Point via the city centre serving the docklands, UCC, the Regional Hospital to Ballincollig...

Thoughts? Are we falling behind when it comes to transport?

Last edited:
You have a very good point there, just 2 things come to mind.
The M28 motorway to Ringaskiddy was given the go ahead but thanks to some NIMBY people in Rochestown that is now delayed while they attempt a judicial review.
If it was not for these idiots this would be under construction now.

The free flow project for Dunkettle is beginning by Sisk at the start of 2019.

But I believe that politicians should have no say in the provision of national roads, I think that should be up to TII.

And the Macroom bypass is being worked on.

You have a very good point there, just 2 things come to mind.
The M28 motorway to Ringaskiddy was given the go ahead but thanks to some NIMBY people in Rochestown that is now delayed while they attempt a judicial review.
If it was not for these idiots this would be under construction now.

The free flow project for Dunkettle is beginning by Sisk at the start of 2019.

But I believe that politicians should have no say in the provision of national roads, I think that should be up to TII.

And the Macroom bypass is being worked on.

Do we actually need politicians? What do they actually do.what purpose do they serve?

giphy.gif

Seriously, look at the bloody awful traffic in and around the city these days. :(

Cork got a fair amount of roads investment in the 90s with the N40 south ring, the N8, N25, Jack Lynch tunnel but apart from the M8 to Dumpland, it's basically been crumbs from the table since then.

The M28 to Ringaskiddy is urgently needed, as is the M20 to Limerick to replace the existing death trap goat track. Macroom is a nightmare to drive through and the N71 needs much more dualling. I'm not even mentioning the North Ring motorway which is also needed in the medium-term.

Meanwhile, the rest of the country gets mega roads projects galore. What are our politcos doing about this? Coveney? Mehole? Buttface et al?

It's holding the city and the county back.

Plus the city needs a tram running East-West from Mahon Point via the city centre serving the docklands, UCC, the Regional Hospital to Ballincollig...

Thoughts? Are we falling behind when it comes to transport?

We are falling way behind. As previous poster says politicians should have no say in what roads get approved and prioritised but reality is that they do. Unfortunately, Coveney here in Cork is a disaster at playing the game and getting his own area looked after. He can't even get the relatively small few quid for the event sorted not to mind big road projects. Cork Limerick motorway is unlikely to see a sod turned before 2025 and Dunkettle interchange upgrade has been deferred time and time again.
In fairness to Creed in Cork NW he has at least used his cabinet position to move Macroom bypass further up the priority list but Cork City and surrounds are being shafted. The M28 had outline approval in 2011 and took until 2017 to get to final step in process and is now being blocked by nimby element which I'd say everyone except Coveney had foreseen happening.

The length of road from the top of Donnybrook hill, all along the South Douglas Road and right into Turners Cross past the church is an absolute disgrace. It should have been done years ago.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Fist Of Pure Emotion - Spring Fling!

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼