Official VAR thread

IMHO VAR was brought in, at least in part, to ensure the results match more close who "should have won" (typically, the bigger/richer sides).

The 2 correct, but marginal, offside goals disallowed for Argentina are a more rare example where it can give the underdog a chance.

They played a high line, pressed aggressively, relied on VAR to bail them out on some big offside calls...took their two ~5% xG chances and battled hard for the win.

What we are losing from the game is not worth it imo.

The spontaneity, the joy, the getting on with the game after a decision is made is gone.

And when the goals are disallowed it kills it. I can live with a few marginal calls being wrong to not disrupt the game the way this technology is doing tbphwy.

And we are still getting highly dubious decisions anyway. The Argentina penalty for one. The penalty at OT against Bruno another that wasn't reversed etc etc etc

What is the fucking point of the technology that was supposed to eradicate these decisions, giving a dubious decision, and not reversing a dubious decision in the other case. Football was grand before it came along and would be grand again if we dropped it.

Kick VAR out of football.

I was for VAR in principle & do think that we all generally disregard the benefit of the countless VAR-assisted correct decisions and focus only on the unintuitive/wrong ones.

But I'm at a point now where I'm very weary at not feeling able to properly celebrate a goal, as there's always a background thought that it'll get chalked off.

Many of us didn't consider how important it is for fans to live "in the moment"...and arguably it trumps "getting a higher proportion of decisions right'.

In short, I see the upsides of VAR more than most...but I'd still bin it now if I could.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers’ Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼