Official Republic of Ireland 2022 World Cup Thread

The Dublin and District Schoolboys League (DDSL), founded in 1943, is affiliated with more than 200 clubs and operates divisions from boys and girls under 7 right up to under 18s.

Couldn't find numbers for other areas, but Football is the biggest participatory sport in the country.

I refuse to believe the talent isn't there to give us a much better class of player for our national team. I also know there will be peaks and troughs, but how bad it is right now is a right royal fuck up.

Couldn't find numbers for other areas, but Football is the biggest participatory sport in the country.

I refuse to believe the talent isn't there to give us a much better class of player for our national team. I also know there will be peaks and troughs, but how bad it is right now is a right royal fuck up.
The FAI thought that the supply of players from here to the best clubs in England would be a never ending conveyer belt. It served us well for 30-40 years but we're goosed now that the PL is so global.

The FAI thought that the supply of players from here to the best clubs in England would be a never ending conveyer belt. It served us well for 30-40 years but we're goosed now that the PL is so global.

Aye.

Now we have to start developing our own talent.

But we really should be able to. The country is football mad

The rugby lads manage to produce a few top class players every few years from a much smaller talent pool.

Aye.

Now we have to start developing our own talent.

But we really should be able to. The country is football mad

The rugby lads manage to produce a few top class players every few years from a much smaller talent pool.
Rugby has a domestic product that can compete with the best in Europe. Soccer is lost at sea in that respect.

If there's going to be no effort from the FAI to properly support and promote a domestic league that can be somewhat competitive then I'd like our players to spread themselves around Europe and try their hand with Sporting Lisbon, Olympiakos or the mighty Dinamo Zagreb rather than taking the cash to sit on a bench or play for Burnley or Stoke.

Rugby has a domestic product that can compete with the best in Europe. Soccer is lost at sea in that respect.

If there's going to be no effort from the FAI to properly support and promote a domestic league that can be somewhat competitive then I'd like our players to spread themselves around Europe and try their hand with Sporting Lisbon, Olympiakos or the mighty Dinamo Zagreb rather than taking the cash to sit on a bench or play for Burnley or Stoke.

yup, pointless to compare with rugby

Been saying it for nearly 2 decades, Ireland's fortunes will turn once the young promising players are sent to the continent to polish their 'football education'

Doherty and Coleman are both going to start apparently which will be interesting. Possibly Doherty in midfield or else a 3/5 at the back with Coleman as a right sided CB and Doherty RWB.

Either way I like that both are starting as they’re two of our better players.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 5:30pm

More events ▼