No Parking = No City

Isn't it interesting how the City Council changed its approach to outdoor dining - now encouraging it.

For years, they actively discouraged the practice - by imposing a huge annual licencing fee on anybody who dared to put a table on the footpath outside their café/bar/restaurant.

Good to see that they can reverse decisions. They also seemed to have loosened up planning for office & hotels etc. I wonder have there been changes in the senior management at City Hall in recent times.

Isn't it interesting how the City Council changed its approach to outdoor dining - now encouraging it.

For years, they actively discouraged the practice - by imposing a huge annual licencing fee on anybody who dared to put a table on the footpath outside their café/bar/restaurant.

Good to see that they can reverse decisions. They also seemed to have loosened up planning for office & hotels etc. I wonder have there been changes in the senior management at City Hall in recent times.

They had to move with the times and just C-19 accelerated that.

They could have a city centre choked with traffic, parking and pollution dedicated to traffic movement and all day car storage or a thriving vibrant city where people could relax, eat out and have a drink and browse the streets etc without having to dodge cars and have active mobility.Bars and restaurants etc also pay big rates and if they go under then the city would die.

They had to make the city more attractive as if you want car dependent shopping just head to all the big free car parking joyless shopping centres.
New offices/hotels/apartments will only add to the vibrancy long term.

The senior management at City Hall also travel all over Europe and they can see what is being done to enhance and revitalize cities after decades of car dominance.

Princes St was pedestrianised 50 years ago.

Besides the retail closures on Patrick St, which were inevitable anyway, the city centre has come on leaps and bounds since I arrived back home in 2017. I remember walking down Pana and Oliver Plunkett St one Wednesday morning around 10am in September that year and the place was absolutely dead, I'd say we passed 5 people.

Now I am not exactly sure what it is like now on a weekday morning at 10am but any evening I have been in town recently it has been buzzing and I think that is only going to get better as offices open up and the new offices get fitted out. Also I do think Pana will fill in up in the next 12 to 18 months with possibly the exception of the Roches building due to its size.

Besides the retail closures on Patrick St, which were inevitable anyway, the city centre has come on leaps and bounds since I arrived back home in 2017. I remember walking down Pana and Oliver Plunkett St one Wednesday morning around 10am in September that year and the place was absolutely dead, I'd say we passed 5 people.

Now I am not exactly sure what it is like now on a weekday morning at 10am but any evening I have been in town recently it has been buzzing and I think that is only going to get better as offices open up and the new offices get fitted out. Also I do think Pana will fill in up in the next 12 to 18 months with possibly the exception of the Roches building due to its size.

I was in the city centre the past 2 nights and the place was very busy which you would never see before during mid-week.

The main streets are very busy on Saturdays now again.

Retail will take time to come back and you do see an awful lot of new businesses opening up.

It's a Hard

A normal week night. I ordered a West Cork Burger, drove in to town to pick it up. I could find nowhere to set down or park until close to St. Finbarres.
There is a kind of delusional euphoria regarding the outdoor life we had this summer. Diners will go indoors. Rocketing Heating costs and the cost of 24/7 Security will see those Umbrellas and Out/Indoor nonsense fail. Town will be like pre C19 but this time with half the Parking gone. Already the Centre, the Quays and spreading outwards, are almost stalled during the day. The roads are now the Parking. A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall.
Stalky, your duty is to reply immediately, it doesn't matter if you have anything to contribute, just reply, now, quickly, don't think.

A normal week night. I ordered a West Cork Burger, drove in to town to pick it up. I could find nowhere to set down or park until close to St. Finbarres.
There is a kind of delusional euphoria regarding the outdoor life we had this summer. Diners will go indoors. Rocketing Heating costs and the cost of 24/7 Security will see those Umbrellas and Out/Indoor nonsense fail. Town will be like pre C19 but this time with half the Parking gone. Already the Centre, the Quays and spreading outwards, are almost stalled during the day. The roads are now the Parking.

Drives all the way into the city centre for a burger?

Wants to be able to park outside burger joint for 10 minutes on Washington Street when there is a multi-storey Car Park and a surface level car park on Grand Parade and another multi-story one at Crawford Hall and another on North Main Street all 5 minutes away?

Get the Just Eat or Diliveroo App tc and get the food delivered free to your front door instead of being Vicktor Meldrew driving around a city saying "I could park anywhere I wanted back in 1986"

Complains about "traffic" while not realising that he is "traffic"

Stalking Live

Well Stalky, you are consistent. You cannot leave a post of mine without an answer from you, no matter how trite.

The West Cork Burger Company make a far better product than anyone else. At the times I go there, no traffic at all.
I would never order from Deliveroo. These dangerous underpaid jobs with no rights are equivalent to the way America uses Mexicans. Close to Slavery. Shame on you.

Well Stalky, you are consistent. You cannot leave a post of mine without an answer from you, no matter how trite.

The West Cork Burger Company make a far better product than anyone else. At the times I go there, no traffic at all.
I would never order from Deliveroo. These dangerous underpaid jobs with no rights are equivalent to the way America uses Mexicans. Close to Slavery. Shame on you.

Do you know what an INTERNET talk page is?

It is always 1982 in your world of cars and car parking.

Welcome to the future where you cannot just park outside every shop or restaurant that you choose to patronise occassionally.

There is a kind of delusional euphoria regarding the outdoor life we had this summer. Diners will go indoors. Rocketing Heating costs and the cost of 24/7 Security will see those Umbrellas and Out/Indoor nonsense fail. Town will be like pre C19 but this time with half the Parking gone. Already the Centre, the Quays and spreading outwards, are almost stalled during the day. The roads are now the Parking. A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall.
Stalky, your duty is to reply immediately, it doesn't matter if you have anything to contribute, just reply, now, quickly, don't think.

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

1st Jun 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 4pm

More events ▼