Nani, Dani Alaves etc

Lads, these fuckers and their ilk have ruined soccer for me, I reckon its most of the reason I have lost so much of my interest to the point where I dont really watch any bar the 'big' matches like last nights at this stage.

Last week I watched Barca/Shaktar, very enjoyable match and much closer than the scoreline suggests. Barca are probably the best club team ever assembled IMO, although that Milan team were possibly as good. They are blessed with a clutch of the best players on this planet and play football as it should be played, but by the end of the match I was sick of watching them roll around like they have been attacked with a machete every time Shaktar came close. Alaves has to be the worst of the lot, fuckin prick is on the ground holding his head/leg everytime there is any contact at all, and generally got rewarded with a free.

Nani was at it last night as usual, it was ronaldo before him. His theatrics for Ramires second yellow were pathetic, he looked like a fucking fish on dry land. Luckily for him, the only part of his body that didnt go into spasm was the arm he needed to show the ref that he should card Ramires, and sure enough Ramires walked for 2 innocuous challenges, whilst Nani was haring around the pitch again 30 seconds later with no ill effects from the epileptic fit.

I understand that players like these are super fast, and super skillful and become targets for mullackers to simply hack them down. This had to be addressed to protect players, but it has gone way too far. Simulation and acting the prick are as important now as actually playing the game and worse still its rewarded time and time again by the refs.

Worst thing of all for me is that when these lads actually try to stay on their feet and play ball they are the type of lads you want to watch every week. Nani must be the most improved player in the prem over the last 2 seasons, but when he gets a run at goal he is more interested in falling over and getting a man booked than finishing the move and sticking the ball in the net.

Rant over - anybody agree?

Lads, these fuckers and their ilk have ruined soccer for me, I reckon its most of the reason I have lost so much of my interest to the point where I dont really watch any bar the 'big' matches like last nights at this stage.

Last week I watched Barca/Shaktar, very enjoyable match and much closer than the scoreline suggests. Barca are probably the best club team ever assembled IMO, although that Milan team were possibly as good. They are blessed with a clutch of the best players on this planet and play football as it should be played, but by the end of the match I was sick of watching them roll around like they have been attacked with a machete every time Shaktar came close. Alaves has to be the worst of the lot, fuckin prick is on the ground holding his head/leg everytime there is any contact at all, and generally got rewarded with a free.

Nani was at it last night as usual, it was ronaldo before him. His theatrics for Ramires second yellow were pathetic, he looked like a fucking fish on dry land. Luckily for him, the only part of his body that didnt go into spasm was the arm he needed to show the ref that he should card Ramires, and sure enough Ramires walked for 2 innocuous challenges, whilst Nani was haring around the pitch again 30 seconds later with no ill effects from the epileptic fit.

I understand that players like these are super fast, and super skillful and become targets for mullackers to simply hack them down. This had to be addressed to protect players, but it has gone way too far. Simulation and acting the prick are as important now as actually playing the game and worse still its rewarded time and time again by the refs.

Worst thing of all for me is that when these lads actually try to stay on their feet and play ball they are the type of lads you want to watch every week. Nani must be the most improved player in the prem over the last 2 seasons, but when he gets a run at goal he is more interested in falling over and getting a man booked than finishing the move and sticking the ball in the net.

Ice hockey has one of the greatest approaches to this problem.

The referee can send a player to the penalty box for a foul but simultaneously can send the fouled player to the penalty box for 'simulation'

No.

Didn't think they were 'innocuous challenges'.

Two clear yellows all day long. The first was cynical and perhaps necessary for the team, the second was a very poor challenge.

I think you mixed up the second Ramires challenge with the Alex challenge, where nani was waving the fingers.

Spot on.

Physical contact being removed from the game makes it a lesser spectacle.

I watched about 5 mins of these two games. There was a time when I would have watched everything.

No.

Two clear yellows all day long. The first was cynical and perhaps necessary for the team, the second was a very poor challenge.

I think you mixed up the second Ramires challenge with the Alex challenge, where nani was waving the fingers.

In fairness BucksFizz, you're a middle aged man who is big into following manyoo

No.

Nah, its the Ramires second yellow Im talking about. It was a foul but I think Ramires slipped as much as anything and there was absolutely no intent to hurt Nani in any way. I dont think a player should walk for those 2 tackles - its a joke.

That said, its Nanis reaction to the tackle that pissed me off more than anything else - what a prick. You find it hard to get an actor from Hollywood to do a better impression of an epileptic fit. 30 seconds later he hadnt a bother.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

22nd May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼