Music scene suffers in the second city

RogueC

The Facts are out!:bday:

CORK’S musical arena is now reduced to a learner’s corner or a "glorified" open mic session.

Who, or what, is to blame? As a music student in the ’60s and ’70s and an avid gig-goer all my life, I would like to ask the good people of Cork — what is happening out there? Has some secret blandmeister reined in all local creatives, to the point where competition has ceased, gigs and venues have become like gold dust and are patrolled by a secret intelligence, up-keeping a bland musical orthodoxy? The allotted tastemaker ensures that all those queuing to showcase a song, (regardless of experience or achievement) perform a rite of passage, whereby they firstly must have aged in this town, served one’s time in "the circle" so to speak. Those who are pandering to this "playground" system are standing in the way of real music, real gigs, real venues and paid work for artists.

The only one who benefits is the bar owner.

This a stalemate for Cork’s music scene or what I like to term "Rory Gallagher" syndrome, after an unassuming guy I met way back when. A statue now stands to that young man in a place where once he could not get a gig to save his life.

http://www.examiner.ie/opinion/letters/music-scene-suffers-in-the-second-city-143182.html

I remember scoffing at an Irish Times article recently which proclaimed that the music scene in Cork was flourishing, and then went on to interview a Cork bloke who puts records on a turntable and presses play!

Oh, the ironing.

I remember scoffing at an Irish Times article recently which proclaimed that the music scene in Cork was flourishing, and then went on to interview a Cork bloke who puts records on a turntable and presses play!

Oh, the ironing.

Hate to burst your bitter bubble but here is the said article and you are talking through your hole as usual (it is predominantly about live music)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2010/1015/1224281122994.html

Now continue to shift through this site telling us how shit Cork is from the comfort of another city, but please get your facts right

I would like to ask the good people of Cork — what is happening out there? Has some secret blandmeister reined in all local creatives, to the point where competition has ceased, gigs and venues have become like gold dust and are patrolled by a secret intelligence, up-keeping a bland musical orthodoxy?

they are making electronic music - performing live at a number of venues in the city.

in fact - i would say that the scene is actually very healthy.

haters-gonna-hate-kid.jpg

Facts eh? It might be worth looking into claims that there's not much going on in Cork.
Tonight according to the PROC event guide and leaving out cover acts/bands there's.....

Lynda Cullen in Bradleys, Martina Stafford & Ronan Daly in De Barras (going to this myself),
there's an open mic in The Slate, there's a UCC band showcase in Cyprus Avenue, The Deans (UK)
and Dead School are in An Bróg. That's 5 original gigs. About 15 local acts will perform somewhere tonight.

Now let's look at Dublin tonight gig wise with entertainment.ie:

Leaving out coverbands again...there's a band showcase in Sin É, James McDonald is in the Cuckoo's Nest,
Altan are in Christ Church, Mutefish in Sheebeen Chic. There's also a battle of
the bands
in Citi Bar. That's 5 original gigs and its probably unfair to include Altan as they're from Donegal but as we included the Deans gig above let's bung it in anyway.

The RESULTS

Dublin city & county: 1 gig per 240,000 people (pop 1.2 mil*)
Cork City & County: 1 gig per 96,000 people (pop 480k*)

So for its size Cork is two and a half times more busy with original live music tonight than Dublin. Put that in your drisheen and snort it!

* www.cso.ie

Facts eh? It might be worth looking into claims that there's not much going on in Cork.
Tonight according to the PROC event guide and leaving out cover acts/bands there's.....

Lynda Cullen in Bradleys, Martina Stafford & Ronan Daly in De Barras (going to this myself),
there's an open mic in The Slate, there's a UCC band showcase in Cyprus Avenue, The Deans (UK)
and Dead School are in An Bróg. That's 5 original gigs. About 15 local acts will perform somewhere tonight.

Now let's look at Dublin tonight gig wise with entertainment.ie:

Leaving out coverbands again...there's a band showcase in Sin É, James McDonald is in the Cuckoo's Nest,
Altan are in Christ Church, Mutefish in Sheebeen Chic. There's also a battle of
the bands
in Citi Bar. That's 5 original gigs and its probably unfair to include Altan as they're from Donegal but as we included the Deans gig above let's bung it in anyway.

The RESULTS

Dublin city & county: 1 gig per 240,000 people (pop 1.2 mil*)
Cork City & County: 1 gig per 96,000 people (pop 480k*)

So for its size Cork is two and a half times more busy with original live music tonight than Dublin. Put that in your drisheen and snort it!

* www.cso.ie

Did they all serve their time in the Circle?:bday:

was it your letter?

Try contacting a few people or running your own night rather than moaning and alluding to some far fetched conspiracy theory that doesn't exist

There are very few bars even breaking even so i'm sure loads will be approachable for new ideas

Also, the next time you write in to the paper, maybe offer a few constructive solutions or examples rather than some paranoid ramblings that sound like they are from a KGB movie

best of luck with it if you like your music i'm sure others will

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Polly Barrett
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Perfect Days (Pg)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼