Lord Of The Rings vs. Game Of Thrones

There can be only one

• Total voters
I think LOTR is a far superior work, but I enjoyed reading A Song of Ice and Fire more.....

Torn....
Torn I am,
I feel like Gollum and Smeagol.......
Like a brother of the night's watch whose family are in trouble....

It's LOTR Mick. The seminal work of the genre. They guy made up an actual language, as well as inventing a much richer history of the world. The history of GOT is essentially English history with the names changed. Replace the Normans with the Targaryens and that's it.

If that's the benchmark then Star Trek must blow your mind.

Picky, NME, very picky. Poor Mick. They probably didn't have LOTR in Meath when he was growing up and so he's all excited by ice and fire.

It's an important point though. I don't think you can compare the two without knowing how the climax* of each series compares. Half the fascination of ASOIAF is wondering how GRRM is going to bring his dozens of storylines together in the final books.

*Not that kind of climax. Although there's plenty of those in ASOIAF, says you.

Bad form NME, you know exactly what I meant. :mad:
Polliver, Raff the Sweetling. The Tickler and the Hound. Ser Gregor, Ser Armory, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Northmallexile, King Joffrey, Queen Cersei.

It's an important point though. I don't think you can compare the two without knowing how the climax* of each series compares. Half the fascination of ASOIAF is wondering how GRRM is going to bring his dozens of storylines together in the final books.

*Not that kind of climax. Although there's plenty of those in ASOIAF, says you.

I'll give you that.

* Indeed I do.

If that's the benchmark then Star Trek must blow your mind.

Star Trek is good.

My point about the language(s - sorry Dory for being so INACCURATE) was to illustrate how rich the world created by Tolkien is, compared to George.

By the way, is George' R.R. in deference to Tolkien's R.R?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed LOTR immensely, but let's face it, at NO STAGE did you think any of the central characters were going to be killed.
It didn't matter how many orcs, trolls, goblins, balrogs, wargs etc they were faced with.
The one central character that did die was brought back to life ffs.
It's essentially a fairytale.
The great thing about ASoIaF is ANYONE can get it (and IT) at any time.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival : Susan O' Neill

Coughlan's, Today @ 7:30pm

More events ▼