Junior A Hurling Championship 2023

First half of hurling was the best I’ve seen from Ballinora in some time, they’ve been capable of it but have been inconsistent with showing it, was a bit nervous after tough battles with Grenagh and Dripsey but they were on it from the start today and dominated Clon for the first half.

Game petered out a bit in the second half after the first 10 minutes or so, Ballinora were rotating lads at that point and Clon never looked like getting back into it.

Could have had a few more goals but the Clon keeper made a couple of good saves, the chances were there though.

Clon’s main plan seemed to be to feed Mark White, who was being beaten most of the day, got 3 points I think but struggled in large parts to have any impact, Clon struggled with shooting from distance whereas Ballinora hit 1-20 from play.

Not sure how much we learned, but just delighted to have actually won a county game for a change and roll on Nemo!

First half of hurling was the best I’ve seen from Ballinora in some time, they’ve been capable of it but have been inconsistent with showing it, was a bit nervous after tough battles with Grenagh and Dripsey but they were on it from the start today and dominated Clon for the first half.

Game petered out a bit in the second half after the first 10 minutes or so, Ballinora were rotating lads at that point and Clon never looked like getting back into it.

Could have had a few more goals but the Clon keeper made a couple of good saves, the chances were there though.

Clon’s main plan seemed to be to feed Mark White, who was being beaten most of the day, got 3 points I think but struggled in large parts to have any impact, Clon struggled with shooting from distance whereas Ballinora hit 1-20 from play.

Not sure how much we learned, but just delighted to have actually won a county game for a change and roll on Nemo!
Congrats Pat, great result

Harbour Rovers did well to get over Newmarket, bit more experience stood to them. Newmarket puck out was a good source of possession for them but Rovers got on top in the second half. Their half back line played a world of ball. Fogarty did a fine job on Hugh O Connor especially considering the goal scoring threat he carries. Ref made a few questionable calls/non calls that Newmarket were unhappy with. Josh O Keeffe is some size of a young fella, must be 6'6" as he was towering over David Pyne.

Shaping up to be a great championship now. I don't think anyone could confidently predict the winners. You could give all the teams a shot which is great.

Disappointed to see no first team left in the last four in junior B championship, pity but I suppose the bigger clubs have the numbers to put out strong teams in the grade. It's actually not even second choice teams. I think it's the 3rd teams in each of the clubs- killeagh, Douglas, Inniscarra, fermoy.

Last edited:
Shaping up to be a great championship now. I don't think anyone could confidently predict the winners. You could give all the teams a shot which is great.

Disappointed to see no first team left in the last four in junior B championship, pity but I suppose the bigger clubs have the numbers to put out strong teams in the grade. It's actually not even second choice teams. I think it's the 3rd teams in each of the clubs- killeagh, Douglas, Inniscarra, fermoy.
Fermoys second team I believe, dropped down from Junior A this year. I watched the first half of Douglas win over Newmarket yesterday. 30+ lads togged out for their 3rd team. They were well on top throughout and I thought Newmarket had a strong Junior B team!

Fermoys second team I believe, dropped down from Junior A this year. I watched the first half of Douglas win over Newmarket yesterday. 30+ lads togged out for their 3rd team. They were well on top throughout and I thought Newmarket had a strong Junior B team!
You'd be thinking a senior club from a town should at least be getting their second team out at Junior A level

Clonakilty were very poor, a couple of handy players but most loooked very weak hurlers - looking back on it they only had to beat Ballinascarthy in Carbery who were going for a 3 in a row in West Cork but had done nothing of note in either Co campaign so form was very moderate
Clon had the county won before the west cork final by there talk. Never do anything once they get out of Carbery.

Ballinora could have had 2 or 3 more goals only for Shane Collins. Saw them play Erin's own this year and they're a good outfit once they click. Should be a good battle with Nemo next weekend.

Who would people have in the other semi? Wouldn't know much about either side really

Speaking of Junior B, how does Avondhu decide who goes into the county when the segregate first and second teams at Junior B level? I see Castletownroche and Doneraile must still play each other but Fermoy are going into the semi final.

Junior A semis are a double header in Pairc Ui Rinn on Saturday,

Harbour Rovers-Carraig na bhFear at 2

Ballinora-Nemo at 4

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼