Junior A Hurling Championship 2023

Buttevant totally focused on the big ball this year. Didn’t even bother to field in the U21 hurling championship
Joey O Hanlon is over them in both codes, he never hurled and none of his sons play it either. I was told after the match Joey wants them to drop down to Junior B in hurling next year so that the hurling is out of the way before the football starts and they can have a clean run at it.
Would be a shame because they have some good hurlers and were always a competitive team over the last 15+ years.

Joey O Hanlon is over them in both codes, he never hurled and none of his sons play it either. I was told after the match Joey wants them to drop down to Junior B in hurling next year so that the hurling is out of the way before the football starts and they can have a clean run at it.
Would be a shame because they have some good hurlers and were always a competitive team over the last 15+ years.
Joey is a grand fela but he is making a joke of that club. Did well in the football with a team who have always been there-thereabouts anyway and destroying the hurling side in his pursuit of football glory

Joey is a grand fela but he is making a joke of that club. Did well in the football with a team who have always been there-thereabouts anyway and destroying the hurling side in his pursuit of football glory
Cant understand why fellas want to do that in a small community. What happens when the football fails? That's what can create a demise of a club

I heard no one else wanted the Buttevant hurlers, and joey had to step in. Crazy to think his doing it for other reasons only helping the lads he coached in football. Surely he’d rather no one take over and have no team, if he was so adamant of getting rid of it. Conor hanlon also didn’t play the football so that’s no excuse. The interest in buttevant just isn’t there in the hurling and frankly the quality isn’t either. No Michael o neill, John o neill, Michael walsh and niall riordain playing either, all played the football the week before, this clearly shows the players aren’t remotely interested. I think ye are harsh here on joey. Players must be looked at as-well, how can they not get up for a local derby. Have they no pride ?

Did Condon go off for Glanworth does anyone know? Podge Hannon was on free taking duty in the second half according to twitter so I'm assuming Condon wasn't on the field. But Glanworth also tweet the subs they make so it doesn't make sense to me.
Big win for Kilshannig with so many key players missing, for the past few years I've thought this could be the year for Killavullen. They'll be all out to make it out that group now.
Condon missed one or two handy ones near the end so Hannon deputized. He didn't go off at all, but didn't play to his usual heights at all.

I heard no one else wanted the Buttevant hurlers, and joey had to step in. Crazy to think his doing it for other reasons only helping the lads he coached in football. Surely he’d rather no one take over and have no team, if he was so adamant of getting rid of it. Conor hanlon also didn’t play the football so that’s no excuse. The interest in buttevant just isn’t there in the hurling and frankly the quality isn’t either. No Michael o neill, John o neill, Michael walsh and niall riordain playing either, all played the football the week before, this clearly shows the players aren’t remotely interested. I think ye are harsh here on joey. Players must be looked at as-well, how can they not get up for a local derby. Have they no pride ?
I just think it's mad someone who didn't play hurling, never managed hurling and doesn't have his sons play the game would manage a once competitive Junior A side. They were never not going to have a team, I think him taking over the hurlers was just to have full control over what training the lads do. I'd be surprised if it's anything other than 80-20 to football. Even clubs like Clyda and Kilshannig would train more in hurling than that.
You're right about the local Derby side of it, I was nervous going into it because no matter what kind of form either side is in, in either code there's always an upset on the cards. They beat us in the last hurling meeting when we were clear favourites and we beat them in football in the last meeting when they were clear favourites so form matters nothing between the two clubs. So I feared an upset could be on the cards but after watching them warm up they were completely flat, looking like a bunch of players who came to fulfill a fixture and head home.
As far as I know the two O Hanlon brothers and Michael O Neill have never hurled but the O Riordans are fine hurlers underage so I see no reason why they wouldn't tog out for the Junior side. John Buckley another good hurler that played football and not hurling.
I didn't know Joey was the only one who would take the hurlers so fair play to him for at least doing that. There's plenty of hurling men in that club that could take them but with the state it is in now there's no incentive to.

I just think it's mad someone who didn't play hurling, never managed hurling and doesn't have his sons play the game would manage a once competitive Junior A side. They were never not going to have a team, I think him taking over the hurlers was just to have full control over what training the lads do. I'd be surprised if it's anything other than 80-20 to football. Even clubs like Clyda and Kilshannig would train more in hurling than that.
You're right about the local Derby side of it, I was nervous going into it because no matter what kind of form either side is in, in either code there's always an upset on the cards. They beat us in the last hurling meeting when we were clear favourites and we beat them in football in the last meeting when they were clear favourites so form matters nothing between the two clubs. So I feared an upset could be on the cards but after watching them warm up they were completely flat, looking like a bunch of players who came to fulfill a fixture and head home.
As far as I know the two O Hanlon brothers and Michael O Neill have never hurled but the O Riordans are fine hurlers underage so I see no reason why they wouldn't tog out for the Junior side. John Buckley another good hurler that played football and not hurling.
I didn't know Joey was the only one who would take the hurlers so fair play to him for at least doing that. There's plenty of hurling men in that club that could take them but with the state it is in now there's no incentive to.
I was at that game over in ballyclough when the Gaels turned buttevant over in the football in 2019 I believe . It was more of a shock than if buttevant beat the Gaels last Saturday night. From what I’ve heard joey has really stuck up for this group of players. Can’t be nice no one wanting you. And he stood in and soldered with them when no one else would.As you mentioned hondagaels some players didn’t play the hurling that played the week before eg John Buckley. That can’t be joeys fault. There big boys at the end of the day and if they want to they’ll play. Buttevant and joey get a lot of stick on PROC and it baffles me sometimes as I would know some players and they cannot speak highly enough of him.Interest just isn’t there in buttevant in hurling, it’s that simple. This was almost the exact same situation 10 years prior but with opposite codes.

I was actually at the game on Saturday night. Word on the bank is Conor hanlon will be out for the year so lack of interest isn’t the reason he wasn’t playing Saturday. His brother on the other hand has no interest. Michael o neill apparently wasn’t even at the game. Again shows lack of interest on players part. Gaels impressed me, no more so than killeen at six. However I think if his shut down gaels aren’t half the team. Now who will shut him down is the biggest question 😂😂

Buttevant won the Junior A North Cork title in 2010, back when Avondhu had good teams like Charleville, Kildorrery, Ballygiblin, Castletownroche and Newtown's 2nd team. There was much more of an emphasis on hurling that time. Players like Tadhg Healy, Séamus Stack, John Mulshinock and Denis O' Connell were all fine hurlers. Dermot O' Riordan from Mallow was training them. Football wasn't weak but it was second fiddle at the time. But they had good football men like Michael O' Neill, John Buckley, Pat Spratt and Joey Hanlon pushing football in the club over the last 10 or 12 years and all the emphasis seems to be on football, so much so that the hurling in the club has seriously deteriorated. I'm sure the club committee are trying their best to keep hurling alive but they could do more too going by the looks of it. It is up to the hurling men in the club to pick up the pieces again there. Going by results at underage, there seems to a better effort going into hurling. The likes of JD Murphy and Aidan O' Connor are involved in underage teams and both would be good hurling men. But for the hurling to flourish, they need a good hurling set up at minor, under 21 and Junior.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼