Junior A Hurling Championship 2023

Interesting weekend in Avondhu. Down to the last four, two of which are not one bit surprising, Kilshannig and LC Gaels.

Ballyhooly with the shock of the weekend. They started well, and it was tight throughout. Clyda pulled 5 points clear with a couple minutes injury time to go, only to lose by the minimum. Was there game management sufficient? I would have thought that Clyda was a strong contender at the start of the year. This was backed up by winning the Division 1 league, and their second team winning the Division 3 league. They have a huge panel, a mix of young and seasoned, their fitness from Senior football another asset. Really not sure are they as good as perceived anymore.

Killlavullen and Glanworth I found tough to call. Killavullen can be inconsistent, but I felt they had a real chance vs this Glanworth side. Glanworth had a shocking league, as a result they were not in my top 4 power rankings at the start of the championship. However credit where credit is due, they have impressed in certain championship games this year, the ship seems steadied again, and they have put up one or two big scores. They took care of Killavullen relatively comfortably. With their experience and quality (Condon/Pyne/O Brien), I believe they will challenge LC Gaels in a very close game.

Avondhu final pediction: LC Gaels vs Kilshannig.
Verdict: Kilshannig

Kilshannig to win it, but LC Gaels closer than many expect. If Kilshannig go on a football run (already in the semi final), will they put much emphasis on hurling? LC Gaels continue to develop and deserve credit for same. They got to the final last year, deservedly, but they have not stood still and have improved their game even more.

Interesting weekend in Avondhu. Down to the last four, two of which are not one bit surprising, Kilshannig and LC Gaels.

Ballyhooly with the shock of the weekend. They started well, and it was tight throughout. Clyda pulled 5 points clear with a couple minutes injury time to go, only to lose by the minimum. Was there game management sufficient? I would have thought that Clyda was a strong contender at the start of the year. This was backed up by winning the Division 1 league, and their second team winning the Division 3 league. They have a huge panel, a mix of young and seasoned, their fitness from Senior football another asset. Really not sure are they as good as perceived anymore.

Killlavullen and Glanworth I found tough to call. Killavullen can be inconsistent, but I felt they had a real chance vs this Glanworth side. Glanworth had a shocking league, as a result they were not in my top 4 power rankings at the start of the championship. However credit where credit is due, they have impressed in certain championship games this year, the ship seems steadied again, and they have put up one or two big scores. They took care of Killavullen relatively comfortably. With their experience and quality (Condon/Pyne/O Brien), I believe they will challenge LC Gaels in a very close game.

Kilshannig to win it, but LC Gaels closer than many expect. If Kilshannig go on a football run (already in the semi final), will they put much emphasis on hurling? LC Gaels continue to develop and deserve credit for same. They got to the final last year, deservedly, but they have not stood still and have improved their game even more.
Good review. Agree with everything except I'd put glanworth as front runners at the moment.
They've a lot of experience behind them. I've no doubt L/C will give them a right battle though

I don't know why there's no relegation but infairness to the teams here a lot of them know when to swallow their pride and drop down voluntarily, in the past few years Ballyclough, Castletownroche, Doneraile and Fermoy have all dropped out of junior a by their own accord. I believe Buttevant plan on doing the same themselves next year.
I think Araglin will be the lowest side ability wise next year and after them there really isn't much between all the teams.
Poor Doneraile are gone woeful.

They've won junior b football titles recently but i Can see them fold in next 3/4 years. No underage teams at most ages. Id say their only option is to amalgamate but that isn't straightforward either. Sad because they are a club with tradition of winning and producing players in 80s/90s
They had a couple of top players with Cork when I was playing back then.
Heard they are on the verge of going and heard that their Cork minor footballer earlier this year has already transferred to Mallow recently.

It’s a shame to see any club go. An amalgamation is only possible if the clubs involved are reasonably equal or if not equal the junior partner is realistic about what they have to offer and should benefit from the amalgamation.

Top review of these games North Cork ☝️
I had expected Clyda to win that and even go all the way, especially after being knocked out of the senior football. When they’d the game effectively won, some of their younger inexperienced lads just lost the head and didn’t manage the game out. Unlike Clyda.
I heard the Glanworth game was a poor enough physical low scoring affair with Killavullen hurling in disarray as players and even their coach not turning up to championship games recently. Glanworth weren’t totally reliant on Condon which is a positive for them. I agree that LC should have too much for Goanworth.

They had a couple of top players with Cork when I was playing back then.
Heard they are on the verge of going and heard that their Cork minor footballer earlier this year has already transferred to Mallow recently.

It’s a shame to see any club go. An amalgamation is only possible if the clubs involved are reasonably equal or if not equal the junior partner is realistic about what they have to offer and should benefit from the amalgamation.
Never knew Trevor Kiely went to Mallow. Good addition for them but massive blow to Doneraile.

Never knew Trevor Kiely went to Mallow. Good addition for them but massive blow to Doneraile.
That is 2nd hand information.. I hope that’s right and I’m not wronging anyone. Apologies if I am. Someone from the Barrs told me he was playing for Mallow against them in the minor semi final recently.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Ultan Conlon
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

19th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Hot Blooded Animals

Coughlan's, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼