Junior A Football 2023

Are Charleville good enough to win a county if the hurling finishes early Honda?
I'm not really sure, purely on the fact that I've not seen much junior football in any division besides Avondhu and Duhallow. They've lots of big athletic lads who can run all day for you.
That being said I went to see them play Kilmacabea a few years ago in the county when I thought Charleville were probably at their strongest and they were second best on the day by far. You really never know what you'll get with them

Mid Cork Weekly Roundup:

Group 1:
Inniscarra 3-13 v 12 Donoughmore - Was a competitive game for 40 minutes, Dmore went in 1 point up at half time. As the old saying goes "Goals win games" which came quick and easy for Scarra in second half. Donoughmore ran out of steam as Scarra started rolling their subs. Scarra look to have a very good squad, some of the subs they brought on were better than their starters.
Blarney v Grenagh Cancelled due to weather conditions Friday, refixed for next Saturday

Group 2:
Ballincollig 1-4 v 8 Kilmichael - Exciting finish in this one could of went either way. Kilmichael grinded out the win with an injury time winner. Kilmichael showing good momentum winning all champo games in both codes. Great strides for a team that was considering going B at the start of the year. Credit is due to them, they could surprise any team in knockouts apart from Canovee. Great progress made by Kimichael this year
Canovee 2-14 v 5 Dripsey - 15 point win for Canovee, they'll stroll into a semi final. Lack of competitive games could be their downfall. Again very strong squad from Canovee, subs are very sharp looking when introduced. Dripsey will be happy to shift focus onto the hurling.

Group 3:
Eire Og 4-13 v 1-8 Clondrohid - 14 point win for Eire Og. As second teams go Eire Og are very strong at the moment. Clondrohid yes were missing 2 from injury and few players on J1s but they'll be disappointed and will find it hard to turn the tide over the next year. If I was them I would stay up A and try get back to a competitive level. A lot of country teams are on the same boat, lose 2-3 players and there isn't bodies with quality to replace and can turn a good team to a poor team very fast. Eire Og will be tough to beat come knockouts
Aghinagh v Beal Atha Cancelled due to weather Friday, no refixed date on this yet but would assume it will be sometime next weekend?

Overall not a great weekend in terms of games with victories at 10 points, 14 points & 15 points, we only had one close game

Mid Cork Weekly Roundup:

Group 1:
Inniscarra 3-13 v 12 Donoughmore - Was a competitive game for 40 minutes, Dmore went in 1 point up at half time. As the old saying goes "Goals win games" which came quick and easy for Scarra in second half. Donoughmore ran out of steam as Scarra started rolling their subs. Scarra look to have a very good squad, some of the subs they brought on were better than their starters.
Blarney v Grenagh Cancelled due to weather conditions Friday, refixed for next Saturday

Group 2:
Ballincollig 1-4 v 8 Kilmichael - Exciting finish in this one could of went either way. Kilmichael grinded out the win with an injury time winner. Kilmichael showing good momentum winning all champo games in both codes. Great strides for a team that was considering going B at the start of the year. Credit is due to them, they could surprise any team in knockouts apart from Canovee. Great progress made by Kimichael this year
Canovee 2-14 v 5 Dripsey - 15 point win for Canovee, they'll stroll into a semi final. Lack of competitive games could be their downfall. Again very strong squad from Canovee, subs are very sharp looking when introduced. Dripsey will be happy to shift focus onto the hurling.

Group 3:
Eire Og 4-13 v 1-8 Clondrohid - 14 point win for Eire Og. As second teams go Eire Og are very strong at the moment. Clondrohid yes were missing 2 from injury and few players on J1s but they'll be disappointed and will find it hard to turn the tide over the next year. If I was them I would stay up A and try get back to a competitive level. A lot of country teams are on the same boat, lose 2-3 players and there isn't bodies with quality to replace and can turn a good team to a poor team very fast. Eire Og will be tough to beat come knockouts
Aghinagh v Beal Atha Cancelled due to weather Friday, no refixed date on this yet but would assume it will be sometime next weekend?

Overall not a great weekend in terms of games with victories at 10 points, 14 points & 15 points, we only had one close game

Inniscarra could be dark horses now that they are out of the hurling. They always had good footballers in that club but play second fiddle to hurling ..

Canovee will be hot favs and will take a very good performance from any teams to beat them imo . I thought at start of year Aghinagh would be their main challengers but after drawing first game with Eire og they will have to improve a lot if they want to challenge canovee ..

What teams have an actual chance at winning the county here lads, haven't seen much of it, seems pretty depleted with the restructuring with the teams that got promoted last year.

Inniscarra could be dark horses now that they are out of the hurling. They always had good footballers in that club but play second fiddle to hurling ..

Canovee will be hot favs and will take a very good performance from any teams to beat them imo . I thought at start of year Aghinagh would be their main challengers but after drawing first game with Eire og they will have to improve a lot if they want to challenge canovee ..
Ship isn't sailed for the Inniscarra hurlers, there will be a big emphasis on surviving in Senior A hurling.

Aghinagh will come strong yet, when it comes to Canovee I think on a dry day no one will beat them but if it's wet, pitch gets soft and teams set up defensively to make themselves tough to beat, all it will take is one team to get that right on their day. That could be an Aghinagh, Scarra, Eire Og or maybe a Kilmichael but a tall ask for any

What teams have an actual chance at winning the county here lads, haven't seen much of it, seems pretty depleted with the restructuring with the teams that got promoted last year.
Very hard to call county at this early stage with divisions still all to play for. Tried to list below who main contenders from each division would be for those who don’t know much.

Seandun: you’d assume Douglas would be front runners provided they don’t lose any more to senior, mayfield Dillons delaneys should be in contention there also.

Carrigdoun: Shamrocks, Ballygarvan, Ballinhassig

Imokilly: Carrignavar Lisgoold or Fr O’Neills

Avondhu: Charleville, Kilworth, Killavullen

Duhallow: hard to look past Castlemagner

Carbery: difficult to call. Kilmacabea were looking good again with Gore fit but he went off injured early yesterday, not sure how serious it is. Argideen runners up last year. Tadhg macs always strong, barryroe going well too. Ballinascarthy worth a mention.

Beara: not sure what teams are up A here since Urhan moved up to premier junior

Muskerry: Canovee or Aghinagh

Very hard to call county at this early stage with divisions still all to play for. Tried to list below who main contenders from each division would be for those who don’t know much.

Seandun: you’d assume Douglas would be front runners provided they don’t lose any more to senior, mayfield Dillons delaneys should be in contention there also.

Carbery: difficult to call. Kilmacabea were looking good again with Gore fit but he went off injured early yesterday, not sure how serious it is. Argideen runners up last year. Tadhg macs always strong, barryroe going well too. Ballinascarthy worth a mention.

Great stuff Cork93. Canovee would of been my initial pick prior to reading this. As far as I know Seandun have a bye to the semi this year as Beara don't have a team competing. Open to correction on that though.

Naming 3 of the 4 teams left in Imokilly as possible winners was a big call 😂

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼