Junior A Football 2023

By all accounts coming from Barryroe, Friday night is just a formality. I’m not so sure. Both teams have the fire power up top to match one another and neither have the backs to do too much about it. Could make for a cracker and I certainly wouldn’t count out the boys from Kilmacabea if I was a Barryroe man
I’d be very surprised if Barryroe were to come into this game complacent considering they have never won the junior football in west cork (afaik), and as for the post match celebrations, I’d be thinking they’re more than entitled to enjoy their win. They have a good crop of young players who have shown some promise so far this year. I’d question their ability to cope with the lethal Kilmacabea forwards but definitely have the firepower to cause problems up the other end.
A 50-50 game which should make for a great spectacle with the attacking style of football both teams play.

I’d be very surprised if Barryroe were to come into this game complacent considering they have never won the junior football in west cork (afaik), and as for the post match celebrations, I’d be thinking they’re more than entitled to enjoy their win. They have a good crop of young players who have shown some promise so far this year. I’d question their ability to cope with the lethal Kilmacabea forwards but definitely have the firepower to cause problems up the other end.
A 50-50 game which should make for a great spectacle with the attacking style of football both teams play.
☝️Nice one from Jason the Barryroe man here

I’d say there is no comparison whatsoever in the standards between the Duhallow and Avondhu junior championship.
Only 2 teams are gone from Avondhu in the last 15 years or so.. Ballyclough did go up but are back again. Duhallow junior has been decimated.
I’ve seen Kilmac play a good few times over the years and they’ve been disappointing under pressure, no way would will they be up to the heat to win a county junior final. Unless they’ve new players after coming through I see Barryroe if they turn up beating them next Friday by 2+
Last 15 years Kildorrey, Glanworth,Mitchestown,Kilshannig & Buttevent.
Ballyclough and Killavullen would be the the only traditional football clubs left with first teams in Junior A.
LC Gaels,Kilworth,Charleville,
Ballyhooley would be all hurling first.

Last 15 years Kildorrey, Glanworth,Mitchestown,Kilshannig & Buttevent.
Ballyclough and Killavullen would be the the only traditional football clubs left with first teams in Junior A.
LC Gaels,Kilworth,Charleville,
Ballyhooley would be all hurling first.
The Avondhu list of finalists on wiki go back 12 years and the Kildorrery, Mitchelstown or Glanworth have not played Junior championship over that period.
You’ve lost credibility by saying the Avondhu championship now is a similar standard to Duhallows. Very few if any would be able to argue that point. In fact I’d say Castlemagner are the only Duhallow team that might be able to make it out of the groups in Avondhu. No one else would.
I’m not sure what your other point is because the the top 3 hurling teams in Avondhu are all mainly football clubs - Glanworth, Kilshannig and Clyda.

Mitchelstown would have gone up in 2013, Glanworth in 2009 and Kildorrery lost a Junior A final in 2007, did they go up then? They did lost an Intermediate final to Valleys not long after.

Irregardless, Avondhu is probably in the middle somewhere, stronger than Duhallow which is massively depleted, but probably behind the likes of Muskerry and Carbery overall. Odd debate.

Mitchelstown would have gone up in 2013, Glanworth in 2009 and Kildorrery lost a Junior A final in 2007, did they go up then? They did lost an Intermediate final to Valleys not long after.

Irregardless, Avondhu is probably in the middle somewhere, stronger than Duhallow which is massively depleted, but probably behind the likes of Muskerry and Carbery overall. Odd debate.
Thank you for your feedback and contribution to the odd debate 😂😂

Have played in two finals previously, lost to Argideen Rangers back in 1994 and Carbery Rangers beat them back in 2003

Very hard game to call in Carberry but Barryroe could win their 1st ever JAFC on Friday night, they obviously are highly motivated after their much publicised exit from the 2022 JAFC in the GAA Board Rooms of Cork, the pitch should suit their players and ex Tipp Senior/Carberry Rangers Robbie Kiely is the glue that keeps them together - very young side I think, heard around half of them are still U21 - obviously the under age amalgamation with neighbours Argideen Rangers, who were surprise finalists in this competition last year, is starting to pay off at adult grade.

Will be a decent County once it gets going, lot of fancied teams in it. Canovee always flashy but don't always deliver, Mayfield would be my pick.

Very hard game to call in Carberry but Barryroe could win their 1st ever JAFC on Friday night, they obviously are highly motivated after their much publicised exit from the 2022 JAFC in the GAA Board Rooms of Cork, the pitch should suit their players and ex Tipp Senior/Carberry Rangers Robbie Kiely is the glue that keeps them together - very young side I think, heard around half of them are still U21 - obviously the under age amalgamation with neighbours Argideen Rangers, who were surprise finalists in this competition last year, is starting to pay off at adult grade.

Will be a decent County once it gets going, lot of fancied teams in it. Canovee always flashy but don't always deliver, Mayfield would be my pick.
As I said in an earlier post, I think Barryroe are favourites due to their exciting young team and as Boom Boom said Kiely is a huge plus for them and a great driving force. As the week goes on I do feel Kilmacabea's experience of the past 6 or 7 years will count for something especially if its tight with 10/15 mins to go. They've a strong experienced spine with the Collins brothers, Hourihane, Jennings, Gore and Big Dan Donovan and wont be easily turned over. As mentioned again, both defences can concede alot so dont expect Derry or Jimmy McGuinness Donegal style football, Im expecting a very open game with plenty of scores and will say Barryroe to shade it but it really is too close to call a clear winner

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Murry
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Nov 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Last Call

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼