John Arnold

One doesn't give the fox the freedom of the hen house is John's thinking but it doesn't look good from a PR perspective. I doubt he's alone in his thinking but maybe he has a point €250K is small money maybe the GAA should be looking at getting a greater share of the match revenue that will probably come in at circa €1M. Who's getting the tuck shop takings on the night?

Fock that. The public purse paid for c 50% of this stadium. The public purse should be compensated for 50c on every euro it generates.

One doesn't give the fox the freedom of the hen house is John's thinking but it doesn't look good from a PR perspective. I doubt he's alone in his thinking but maybe he has a point €250K is small money maybe the GAA should be looking at getting a greater share of the match revenue that will probably come in at circa €1M. Who's getting the tuck shop takings on the night?
250k is not small money for Munster rugby or Cork GAA in their respective financial situations.

It is most certainly adequate compensation for the renting of an otherwise unused open air venue for a once off event on a Thursday night in November in Ireland.

If you want to overcharge Munster then they will just host it in Thomond instead because there is no point in going there just to pay off Cork GAA's debt and not their own. With an alternative venue available, Cork GAA has little leverage here to bargain for a higher price.

Kids just want to play sport and it does not matter which one as long as they participate and enjoy it and have no problem playing GAA,Soccer and Rugby etc as their timetables allow.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a giant stadium and conference facility hardly used for 7+ months of the year which makes no sense whatsoever and it has to pay its costs to run itself and pay off its massive loan and people will always be "against" things no matter what and they will never be pleased anyway.

Attendees, the County Board and city itself will benefit.

John Arnold is just phoning it in from the 1950's
That's so true, we all move on except Johnny, 2022's Denis Conroy. Even I moved on, from the other side....if you had said 20 years ago that any son of mine would be caught playing GAA, you would have been laughed at, however I was impressed by the opening up of Croke Park. My own son even played GAA before playing rugby, and it had a very positive benefit for him.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼