Jesus lads, 'tis looking like BREXIT!

I’ve lived here for just coming up to 20 years, was good up to a couple of years ago but everything is crap now, roads full of potholes , police don’t investigate car thefts, nhs is crumbling, council services are poor (and we pay £3k a year in council tax for nothing) and the country is messy and uncared for and I live in a decent area of the south east.

Labour won’t be able to fix this mess for at least 5 years, scandalous from the tortes and I wouldn’t believe how bad it is unless I lived here. Last week summed it up, shocking figures released on child poverty but everyone talking about Nike and the colour of the flag on the new shirt

I’ve lived here for just coming up to 20 years, was good up to a couple of years ago but everything is crap now, roads full of potholes , police don’t investigate car thefts, nhs is crumbling, council services are poor (and we pay £3k a year in council tax for nothing) and the country is messy and uncared for and I live in a decent area of the south east.

Labour won’t be able to fix this mess for at least 5 years, scandalous from the tortes and I wouldn’t believe how bad it is unless I lived here. Last week summed it up, shocking figures released on child poverty but everyone talking about Nike and the colour of the flag on the new shirt
Even in wealthier areas of London road signs are either filthy or falling down, pavements and roads not repaired, broken street furniture and street lights. A general air of failure about the place and extremes of wealth and poverty side by side.

Which is a shame really as to how how a a decent formally liberal and welcoming country gets to this state in such a short time due to mad politics and headbanger crazy media.

It’s such a shame, have enjoyed living here.

Even the reports this week on the sewage releases at a record level this week is another indicator of the state of the place.

As taxpayers, we’ll still be paying through the nose for a long time to come.

Which is a shame really as to how how a a decent formally liberal and welcoming country gets to this state in such a short time due to mad politics and headbanger crazy media.
The media have been simmering away at this shite since forever in England. Same with fox and co in America. The levy had to break at some stage.

Recognise that all of that is probably generally true. However I have to say that in my particular bit of leafy London commuter belt, the roads are fine (700 resurfaced in the borough in the past 3 years), one of the lowest crime rates in the country, the local health services seem to have gotten a lot more responsive in the past year and the (Labour) council are generally good.

There's an awful lot of investment still going into Reading as a town, e.g. over 3,000 apartments within 5 mins walk of the main station, 2 new leisure centres, a new theatre, 2 train stations opening,

So round here, things are pretty decent however at a macro level, the UK is a mess. Worth having that corrective though, it's not all awful.

It’s such a shame, have enjoyed living here.

Even the reports this week on the sewage releases at a record level this week is another indicator of the state of the place.

As taxpayers, we’ll still be paying through the nose for a long time to come.
Agree entirely and it'll be interesting to see what happens with Thames Water now that they're almost certainly going bust.

I have to admit though, I wonder how much of the sewerage thing is better monitoring and date Vs things actually getting worse. It's very rare in articles on it to see comparisons to previous benchmarks.

I don't doubt the water quality isn't great, but I strongly suspect it has been shit for a very long time, just that the data is better able to reveal how shit it is now.

Even in wealthier areas of London road signs are either filthy or falling down, pavements and roads not repaired, broken street furniture and street lights. A general air of failure about the place and extremes of wealth and poverty side by side.

With the amount of money they are raping people for ULEZ charges and speeding fines etc, you would imagine that there is a surplus of cash for the potholes and cleaning of the road-signs. In the words of the Lettuce PM "That is a disgrace".

With the amount of money they are raping people for ULEZ charges and speeding fines etc, you would imagine that there is a surplus of cash for the potholes and cleaning of the road-signs. In the words of the Lettuce PM "That is a disgrace".
Sorting out the roads isn't a priority in London for the local government. They're more focused on public transport and active travel and reducing car dependency.

That said, it is very much a priority for the UK government:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

11th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork/Brittany maritime Residency Exhibition

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 1pm

More events ▼