Jeffrey Epstein has many friends

“ Ken Starr, the lawyer who hounded Bill Clinton over his affair with Monica Lewinsky, waged a “scorched-earth” legal campaign to persuade federal prosecutors to drop a sex-trafficking case against the billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein relating to the abuse of multiple underaged girls, according to a new book.
In Perversion of Justice the Miami Herald reporter Julie K Brown writes about Starr’s role in securing the secret 2008 sweetheart deal that granted Epstein effective immunity from federal prosecution. The author, who is credited with blowing open the cover-up, calls Starr a “fixer” who “used his political connections in the White House to get the Justice Department to review Epstein’s case”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/13/ken-starr-jeffrey-epstein-book

"I think it would be very ill-advised for Prince Andrew to ignore judicial process."

Virginia Giuffre's attorney, David Boies, tells #Newsnight if the Duke of York “thumbs his nose at the courts”, there will be a “default judgement against him”

Now , this is a one for Matlock..

If there is a a default judgement against him , what does it mean for him legally ?
If there is a judgement against him , does this give credence or validation to the claims made against him in the criminal investigation against him or does one not potentially impact the other at all ?

Now , this is a one for Matlock..

If there is a a default judgement against him , what does it mean for him legally ?
If there is a judgement against him , does this give credence or validation to the claims made against him in the criminal investigation against him or does one not potentially impact the other at all ?

It is a civil case rather than a criminal one so if there is a judgement against him it will be for a financial award. He can't be extradited to go to the trial as extradition only exists for criminal cases.

If he doesn't defend the case, it is more likely that a Judgement will be made against him and once the plaintiff has a judgement then she can seek to enforce it. She can put a lien on his property, or seek that his bank accounts are frozen until he pays etc.

I don't know if there are any particular rules pertaining to debt collection against royalty, or if his title impacts on that in any way.

Technically it can't be used against him in a criminal trial. The evidence needed for a civil judgement is that the alleged thing happened "on the balance of probabilities" and in criminal court it is "beyond reasonable doubt" so success in one does not guarantee success in the other, but it can be really useful for prosecutors to see how witnesses behave under oath and also they can generally use any evidence given in the civil trial in the criminal trial.

I would guess that the reason Prince Andrew won't engage is that he doesn't want to give evidence under oath. He would rather take the financial hit (or potential financial hit).

So he will most likely payout and hope it goes away quietly.

Is he likely to face any further repercussions in the criminal case ? I know the authorities there said he refused to cooperate but surely that means nothing for him legally speaking?

As in , he is unlikely to be extradited to the US ?

Surely him travelling to the US isnt a good idea for him ?

Thank you for the detailed write up.

The Met Police are assisting the F.B.I. and willing to pounce according to it boss."No one is above the law" according to Chief Plod Cressida Dick

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Home In Ireland: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 1:30pm

More events ▼