Is it time to ban the sale of alcohol in Ireland?

Roxetten

Seriously, most of the problems with people not obeying the covid-19 regulations are alcohol related, be it in pubs which are flouting the rules or people having house parties where people are turning their front rooms into pubs.

A blanket ban on all sales of alcohol would put manners on this lot, just until the pandemic is under control.

Such a measure would also take pressure off our hospital A&Es because so many people who end up there do so because of alcohol related mishaps and or violence.

It would also lead to a reduction of violence in the home where alcohol abuse leads to domestic abuse.

Sure this would inconvenience those of us who drink responsibly but seeing as we are in a crisis situation maybe we all need to make this one sacrifice.

So, instead of reopening the pubs, let's ban the sale of alcohol until we have covid-19 defeated. This ban would also disincentivise tourists from coming here and disregarding our 2 week self isolation rules, which are not being applied anyway.

It's time to take one for team Ireland.

Seriously, most of the problems with people not obeying the covid-19 regulations are alcohol related, be it in pubs which are flouting the rules or people having house parties where people are turning their front rooms into pubs.

A blanket ban on all sales of alcohol would put manners on this lot, just until the pandemic is under control.

Such a measure would also take pressure off our hospital A&Es because so many people who end up there do so because of alcohol related mishaps and or violence.

It would also lead to a reduction of violence in the home where alcohol abuse leads to domestic abuse.

Sure this would inconvenience those of us who drink responsibly but seeing as we are in a crisis situation maybe we all need to make this one sacrifice.

So, instead of reopening the pubs, let's ban the sale of alcohol until we have covid-19 defeated. This ban would also disincentivise tourists from coming here and disregarding our 2 week self isolation rules, which are not being applied anyway.

Well it worked for the USA in the 20s.

Rox, fantastic idea.

It would be all the one to me if that poison drug was banned forever but it will never happen and neither will it happen in the short term.

Alcohol is part of the gene of Irish people and they will deny it, the fact of the matter is, some consider the consumption of alcohol as essential as eating.

Just watch how this thread goes.

So you don’t work in tourism, agriculture, hospitality, Entertainment.

Maybe we should ban driving as well because people die in crashes, and flying, boating, cycling, sport.

Go way ya gowl.

I dunno about your logic here, I haven’t had a pint since March or whenever so getting back into the pub is not high on my register.. but I’m also not seeing the evidence that the VFI are putting out there to suggest that pubs are the only safe place to drink. The A&Es have never been quieter, so that’s not an issue

Here’s the thing - my 5 a side match was back tonight. 3 of us in the office play in it, the discussion came up and I asked why we would resume playing in a cage sweating and hitting off each other, sweat droplets flying everywhere... when we are spaced out all over the office and staying 2m apart during the day

I would guess that there will be more 5 a sides than house parties this week

Rox, fantastic idea.

It would be all the one to me if that poison drug was banned forever but it will never happen and neither will it happen in the short term.

Alcohol is part of the gene of Irish people and they will deny it, the fact of the matter is, some consider the consumption of alcohol as essential as eating.

Just watch how this thread goes.
Obviously it was part of the gene of the yanks as well.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! all players welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼