Irish international Football Thread

Kenny's been dealt a shit hand and the start has been poor but people have exceptionally short memories. Big Mick had Glen Whelan starting every game. It was shit on a stick.

There are encouraging signs here. It won't happen overnight.
Hypothetical new appointments are just fanciful nonsense at this point.
Dan
I would love for Kenny to do well but reality is hitting a table now.
Where is Obbefimi or Parrot and James Collins before them .
I think he is getting a lucky ride on this because if this was Mccarthy the Media would be all about it.
Granted Kenny is on a fraction of The predecessors but this is an awful start and in any other country he would not get the same sympathy imo

Dan
I would love for Kenny to do well but reality is hitting a table now.
Where is Obbefimi or Parrot and James Collins before them .
I think he is getting a lucky ride on this because if this was Mccarthy the Media would be all about it.
Granted Kenny is on a fraction of The predecessors but this is an awful start and in any other country he would not get the same sympathy imo

Obafemi isn't playing for Southampton. Parrott has played 25 mins for Millwall.

Mick got an absolute pass from his pals in the Dublin media. Wales have a great defensive record, they are an ask for most sides.

Most intelligent commentators and pundits can accept that it's a cultural reset that Ireland are attempting. Michael O'Neill did similar with Northern Ireland but it takes time.

He is in the job since the 7th of April. Pot 2 or pot 3 doesn’t make a whole pile of difference imo.

Kneejerk calls for his head on the basis of a Covid disrupted series of matches is misplaced. Irish football is in the toilet. Kenny needs to be and will be given time.

Unconfirmed reports that Doherty and McClean are out of the Bulgaria game with covid. ouch.

With covid, other injuries and suspensions it's getting hard to keep track of who is actually left in the squad.

I've never actually said he should be fired fwiw. Just that it's going very badly and we don't seem to be progressing and with each poor result the pressure on him will increase.

I do think there's a real danger the players will stop believing in him if results don't pick up, despite what might be said publicly.

On the covid side it does seem we are being hit more than other countries... not surprising that a few more lads have got it as Browne had it after all. If the rumours of Doherty and McClean are indeed true, you'd have to think there will be a few more cases come Wednesday?

Someone on another forum pointed out that keeper aside we're missing what would be a reasonble side with all the illness/injuries/suspensions:

Coleman Doherty Egan Stevens
Hendrick Arter Molumby
Robinson Connolly McClean

Each one of the following are unavailable for Bulgaria for varying reasons.
Stevens
Connolly
Robinson
Coleman
Mccarthy
Arter
Egan
Mclean
Doherty
Hendrick
Molumby
That's some list of absentees especially for a team like ours with limited options at the best of times.

Hopefully Ryan Manning gets a run at left back now instead of persisting with the tried and failed Cyrus Christie. Will hopefully call Parrot in too.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Brian Gallagher Plus Guests

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼