Hwch 2011

Interesting graph....

HWCH-Breakdown.jpg

Once again, Cork is criminally under-represented.

It seems that way, but how many bands from Cork can stand up against Cloud Castle Lake, Turning Down Sex, Bats, Squarehead, or Spies?

It seems that way, but how many bands from Cork can stand up against Cloud Castle Lake, Turning Down Sex, Bats, Squarehead, or Spies?

I can think of at least five, from my own perspective. Some bands have no interest in going through the bullshit application stuff you have to do. Others perhaps don't see the merit in the festival at all.

I can think of a few bands too.

The application is pretty bullshit alright. Well mainly the question where they ask you to describe your last 3 gigs. I mean come on, what kind of a retarded question is that.

And another thing, rock/metal is almost non-existent in the competition. It seems to be infested with indie, as usual

Christ I hate this country.

The application is pretty bullshit alright. Well mainly the question where they ask you to describe your last 3 gigs. I mean come on, what kind of a retarded question is that.

And another thing, rock/metal is almost non-existent in the competition. It seems to be infested with indie, as usual

Christ I hate this country.

The indie thing is getting a bit out of control alright. We're moving closer to the English scene perhaps, where fashion and dress style are becoming considerations for bands. I'm a cynical fucker though as well.

The indie thing is getting a bit out of control alright. We're moving closer to the English scene perhaps, where fashion and dress style are becoming considerations for bands. I'm a cynical fucker though as well.

Well Im just hoping for a rock revival some time soon. We've had the indie phase, and the electro-indie spin off, so its time for a change. I can't see urban/rnb making a comeback and most forms of dance have been integrated into pop at this stage.

So I reckon music will gravitate to the weirder and weirder side of indie (see: Noah and The Whale, Foster The People) before eventually collapsing on itself and come to its senses.

Maybe that is where some Cork or non-Dublin bands fall down though. If you can't be bothered applying then how can you complain. Everyone knows you have to jump through at least a certain amount of hoops to get anywhere in the music industry. Pity there are not more Cork bands represented but it is a Dublin-based showcase in fairness and they do have 3+ times the population size so not surprising.

I am more inclined to say well done to :

- Zombie Computer
- Leaflog
- Eleventyfour
- Freezer Room
- Superblondes
- Carried By Waves

We applied, didn't get picked. Was fairly pissed to be honest but what can you do!

I didn't think the application process was much hassle though. I mean if your turning your nose up at a gig because it requires filling out an application form and sending off €10 then you have to be asking yourself some serious questions.

The application process wouldn't be the sole reason why I wouldn't apply (I have applied before). By no means would I turn my nose up at the gig either as you're likely to be seen by a few people who haven't seen you play in Dublin before.
I just know a few decent bands who don't have much interest in playing at it and who play up in Dublin regularly at promoter-run gigs or nights and are happy with that. I'm happy with that too.

Well the main fault I found with the application was the question about describing the last three gigs. To me that is pointless. That has nothing to do with the band or their music or even their performance. It is purely based on their grasp of the English language and their ability to talk-up their previous performances.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼