horror films

what with Halloween approaching no doubt there'll be a new batch of Hollywood horror flicks in the offering over the next few months. Now I quite like the genre, ya know zombies, vampires, serial killers, dream demons etc ... but over the last few years I've stopped watching the newer ones as most of the tension/suspense seems to be removed and replaced by pure shock and goreish psuedo-snuff ... am I right or wrong here? Or am I just not hip into what the kids are into anymore?

For example the early Friday 13ths and Halloweens, Hellraisers were a bit gorey alright but there was also lots of suspense and the most scary thing was the twists ... there was also a reasonable plot ...

now stuff like Saw (whatever the latest one is) just doesn't have that. All it has is extreme violence for its own sake. Maybe I'm over the hill with regards to scary movies ... recommend me some ones that are worth watching ... the last movies I watched that I found scary were "Taken" and "Requiem for a Dream" (for different reasons obviously ... and these weren't even in the horror genre) ..

so please recommend me some good newer horror flicks ...

(any one who mentions "Jeepers Creepers" or the remake of "the Hitcher" will get their names sent to a voodoo practitioner!)

thanks!

what with Halloween approaching no doubt there'll be a new batch of Hollywood horror flicks in the offering over the next few months. Now I quite like the genre, ya know zombies, vampires, serial killers, dream demons etc ... but over the last few years I've stopped watching the newer ones as most of the tension/suspense seems to be removed and replaced by pure shock and goreish psuedo-snuff ... am I right or wrong here? Or am I just not hip into what the kids are into anymore?

For example the early Friday 13ths and Halloweens, Hellraisers were a bit gorey alright but there was also lots of suspense and the most scary thing was the twists ... there was also a reasonable plot ...

now stuff like Saw (whatever the latest one is) just doesn't have that. All it has is extreme violence for its own sake. Maybe I'm over the hill with regards to scary movies ... recommend me some ones that are worth watching ... the last movies I watched that I found scary were "Taken" and "Requiem for a Dream" (for different reasons obviously ... and these weren't even in the horror genre) ..

so please recommend me some good newer horror flicks ...

(any one who mentions "Jeepers Creepers" or the remake of "the Hitcher" will get their names sent to a voodoo practitioner!)

thanks!

That was actually doing alright until the bad guy was given wings and the ability to fly. It all went seriously downhill after that.

wrong turn , and wolf creek are the scariest films out there along with most wedding videos

wolf creek is one messed up movie. Therefore highly reccommended for a scary night in. Oh and anything by John Carpenter is good. Watching Lord of Illusions right now. In the mouth of madness is good as well.

Wrong turn is more of a comedy. Crazy inbreds! And they all deserve to die in wolfe creek. The exorcist still scares the crap outta me. Hows your faith these days father. Shudder

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kevin Quigley

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼