Health care in Ireland

Ethelred

Been in the system now for a while.

Interested in hearing other posters views.

My own experience is that it's chaotic, even with private insurance.

I had to pay over €100 last week to get to see a doc and get antibiotics - and had to wait over 90 minutes for the privilege. I could have gotten the same for 5 euro in any chemist in Spain.

Now the local hospital, which is 30 miles away, say that because of the flu I'll have to stay on a seat (if I can find one) in A&E overnight. And that's with private insurance.

What are your experiences?

I had to pay over €100 last week to get to see a doc and get antibiotics - and had to wait over 90 minutes for the privilege. I could have gotten the same for 5 euro in any chemist in Spain.

Now the local hospital, which is 30 miles away, say that because of the flu I'll have to stay on a seat (if I can find one) in A&E overnight. And that's with private insurance.

Vueling-promotion-650x260.png

I'm trying my third hospital now.

All for a bag of penicillin. And my best option so far is a seat in A&E for a weekend.

Ridiculous.

I'm trying my third hospital now.

All for a bag of penicillin. And my best option so far is a seat in A&E for a weekend.

Ridiculous.

That is terrible, if one spends a night or longer in an A&E, I reckon the chances of getting out of there without picking up something else, would be slim :(

We are lucky enough to have a top medical center within 20 miles of where we live. I find living in the countryside the service is better, no overcrowding and the nurses and doctors and very kind and considerate. The staff are not run off their feet, I guess they have the time to be nice.

My experiences of the health system here are than if it is emergency/serious stuff the service has been incredible - felt very indebted to them. If it’s not that serious though you will get completely sidelined

Republic of Ireland/Life expectancy

81.50 years (2015)

Republic of Ireland
81.50 years

Germany
81.09 years

United States of America
78.74 years

All of this in a country that is one of the highest consumers of alcohol.

That's not bad.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Love Buzz

Coughlan's, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼