Handing in your notice?

whats the correct notice to give your boss when handing in your notice.

ive gotten mixed answers, some say it should be how your paid, as in if you get paid weekly u give a weeks notice, likewise is you give a months notice if you paid monthly. but i reckon two weeks would be best? ive never handed in my notice in a ''proper'' job before?

i just found this on recruit ireland. com.

What notice period am I entitled to before my employment is terminated?
The Minimum Notice Acts 1973 1991 provide for a minimum periods of notice. This applies to employees who have been in continuous service of the Employer for 13 weeks or more. For example, an employee who has been working with the employer for between two and five years is entitled to minimum notice of two weeks. If the Contract specifies a longer period then the longer period of notice prevails. An employee who is resigning from their employment is obliged to give one week’s notice unless their contract of employment specifies a longer notice period

the boss had a few words to say to me last weeks ya see that werent very nice so, im not in the frame of mind to be considerate of his situation, if u get me?

i'm there over 3 years now. i dont have a contract, i'll try for 2 weeks i told my new employer today that i'd have to give 2-3 weeks notice. that way if my boss pushes me i can work for another 3 weeks.

##linda## said:
the boss had a few words to say to me last weeks ya see that werent very nice so, im not in the frame of mind to be considerate of his situation, if u get me?

i'm there over 3 years now. i dont have a contract, i'll try for 2 weeks i told my new employer today that i'd have to give 2-3 weeks notice. that way if my boss pushes me i can work for another 3 weeks.

fair enough, the thing to be careful of is that your boss is the person who will be giving your reference, dont wanna fuck it up after three years.

Don't have a contract and you're there 3 years.That's breaking the law,but usually,when the time to work out notice is not specified in contract,it is expected that 2 weeks at least be given.

Jaysus. Irish law is very much on the side of the employee. I'm in Belgium, hoping to resign in the next couple of weeks, but my employer is entitled to up to 3 months notice. Usually can be negotiated down to something like 6 weeks, but still....
But whatever your urge to give your boss the finger, don't. Bite your tongue, otherwise it'll come back and bite your ass.

All going well with my (soon-to-be) previous employer, I would give one month's notice if I was leaving, for some reason that I can't explain even to myself. Even if I was on bad terms with them I'd give them the maximum notice that I could, without compromising my own position. Nothing material to be gained from pissing off a former employer. You'd be surprised what contacts they have.

faircop said:
fair enough, the thing to be careful of is that your boss is the person who will be giving your reference, dont wanna fuck it up after three years.
its illegal for your boss to give you a bad reference...
he can give you a good reference or no reference at all, but can give you a bad one.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! all players welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼