Guardian UK Editorial on Gaelic Sports

Fair play to us like.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/sep/21/in-praise-of-gaelic-sports

Btw, any chance there could be a separate forum for GAA and other community based sports on the PROC - it's depressing that we have to see that fellas actually get animated enough to post to the Official Liverpool, Everton or Manu or, worse, Chelsea threads. Maybe better, move those threads to a "Circus Forum" alongside any US NFL threads.

Nothing against soccer (played it for years, still play it) but plenty against hollow hype, mercenaries, poor public behaviour and exploitation.

Last edited:
You should be admin you could decide what is worthy

It's obviously wonderful that a uk newspaper gives us a pat on the back the Empire approves

You should be admin you could decide what is worthy

It's obviously wonderful that a uk newspaper gives us a pat on the back the Empire approves

I seriously believe it is a huge waste of time, money, and energy following the nonsense across the water. And its depressing that so many people engage with it. It just bling, no substance. But that's my view

As to the comment about the UK newspaper - I hope you didn't write that that while sporting your newest premiership top. Surely not.

Yet you quote from their newspapers

I don't wear football tops and I appreciate loads of different sports, music, food, culture etc without having to adopt a holier than thou attitude to the stuff I don't like

Just ignore those NFL threads like the rest of us each to their own.....

Fair play to us like.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/sep/21/in-praise-of-gaelic-sports

Btw, any chance there could be a separate forum for GAA and other community based sports on the PROC - it's depressing that we have to see that fellas actually get animated enough to post to the Official Liverpool, Everton or Manu or, worse, Chelsea threads. Maybe better, move those threads to a "Circus Forum" alongside any US NFL threads.

Nothing against soccer (played it for years, still play it) but plenty against hollow hype, mercenaries, poor public behaviour and exploitation.

I've argued on here many times that if all the effort, passion and money that was put into supporting English football teams by Irish supporters was actually directed towards Irish football teams then the national side wouldn't have a reputation of being plucky losers.

The reply is always that Ireland is a small country, GAA is the top sport and football is a minority pursuit - you could make the same argument about Irish rugby yet it thrives internationally from a small base.

Rugby is well established in Ireland, both financially and with a steady support base. This was well before the advent of professionalism.

Soccer by contrast is at best the fourth most played sport in Ireland, the domestic game has a chequered history with several clubs and competitions going to the wall with a very mixed bag of support.

English soccer has a large viewing audience with advent of sky sports but from a participation viewpoint it is always going to be hurling, football and to a lesser extent rugby's poor relation.

Irish rugby thrives internationally?

Really?

Some people believe the hype too much

I go to turners cross

Not many do

And not many go to Dolphin v Sundays well either

Rugby is well established in Ireland, both financially and with a steady support base. This was well before the advent of professionalism.

Soccer by contrast is at best the fourth most played sport in Ireland, the domestic game has a chequered history with several clubs and competitions going to the wall with a very mixed bag of support.

English soccer has a large viewing audience with advent of sky sports but from a participation viewpoint it is always going to be hurling, football and to a lesser extent rugby's poor relation.

That's not what I see on pitches in my local area.
The GAA may be better funded and organised, the local rugby club has the pick of the professional classes but soccer is by far the most popular sport you see being played.
It's not an English thing, Dan, but there just doesn't seem to be any development of players from the teens onwards - the kid goes for a trial with an English club and if he doesn't make it end of story.

The amount of kids playing rugby in non traditional areas surprises me it has been marketed well

Cork winning Sam back will increase football participation

Such is life

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Aideen McQueen & Guests

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼