Gerry Adams taking legal action against Indo & BelfastT

Gerry Adams taking legal action against Indo & BelfastT

GERRY ADAMS HAS asked his solicitor to take “appropriate” action against the Irish Independent and the Belfast Telegraph over what he says are false claims that he was tipped off about the sexual abuse case against Liam Adams.
The Sinn Féin president said today that the allegations that he was briefed about the case before his brother’s trial for sexually abusing his daughter Aine are “untrue”.
He told a press conference today that he has asked his solicitor Paul Tweed to take “appropriate action” over those stories and said the lawyer has been in contact with the Independent and Telegraph this morning.
In a statement made today at a press conference, he said: “It’s totally unfounded, it’s totally inaccurate, it’s misleading and it’s typical of the scurrilous – I hesitate to use the word journalism – scurrilous approach that we get from that group of newspapers when they’re dealing with me or indeed Sinn Féin.
“The assertion that I was tipped off or that I was briefed about the case before the trial is untrue. The assertion that a police officer discussed the details of the PSNI investigation with me before I gave evidence as a prosecution witness against my brother is also untrue.
“The accusation that I was acquiescent or party to any inappropriate to improper conduct in relation to giving my evidence is untrue and there’s no basis at all for publishing what are totally false allegations particularly in circumstances where both the PSNI and the Police Ombudsman in the North are reported as having said that it would be inappropriate to comment on a complaint currently under investigation.”
Liam Adams was jailed for 16 years last November for raping his daughter. Adams gave evidence against his brother at the trail. He later faced questions from the media about the abuse, specifically about what he knew and when he knew it.
Adams was speaking at the launch of the party’s the local elections manifesto. The document includes a commitment to abolish the property tax, build 7,500 social housing units in 18 months, oppose the introduction of water charges, and expand the Dublin Bikes scheme in the capital and across the country.
He criticised Independent Newspapers saying that as far back as the execution of James Connolly the media group has painted “untruths and stories that are absolutely malicious about Sinn Féin”.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gerry-adam...untrue-1466330-May2014/?com_ord=date#comments

Funny how never sued anyone who said he was involved in the murder of Jean McConville.

But who have explicitly said he was involved ?
Only people I can think of are the McConville family, he's hardly going to sue them, could you imagine the public backlash and 2 people in the Boston tapes who are now dead.

As someone who only gets paid the "average industrial wage" where is Mr. Adams getting the money to sue two newspapers?

It's interesting that the Belfast Telegraph still has the story on it's website, so it looks as though they are not giving in to Gerry's threats.

Police briefed Gerry Adams on paedophile brother Liam's case before trial: claim

The Police Ombudsman is investigating an allegation that Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams was briefed by police about details of the case against his paedophile brother before he gave evidence against him at trial.

The Belfast Telegraph understands that the Ombudsman is probing a claim that details of the PSNI investigation into Liam Adams, who was later found guilty of raping and sexually abusing his daughter, were discussed by a police officer with the Sinn Fein leader before he gave evidence against his brother at a Crown Court trial.

If the allegation was to be upheld, it could result in the officer being disciplined and could also constitute contempt of court.

Gerry Adams gave evidence for the prosecution during his brother's trial in April last year. That trial collapsed, but Liam Adams was found guilty during a second trial of raping and sexually assaulting his daughter, Aine Dahlstrom, when she was aged between four and nine in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Gerry Adams was not called to give evidence during the second trial.

Liam Adams was handed a 16- year sentence, half of which he is expected to spend behind bars.

The Belfast Telegraph has learned that in recent weeks Liam Adams' second wife Bronagh made a complaint to the Police Ombudsman's office alleging that information about the PSNI investigation was discussed with the Sinn Fein president ahead of trial.

It has also been claimed that details of the case were discussed by an officer during a public meeting.

A source close to the Liam Adams investigation said that the west Belfast man's wife made the complaint as she believed it led to an unfair trial.

If upheld, it is understood that the complaint to the Police Ombudsman could form part of the basis of Liam Adams' appeal against his conviction.

The Police Ombudsman could not go into any details about the complaint as the investigation is ongoing, but a spokesman said: "We received a complaint that information about an ongoing police investigation was discussed with a witness in the case and also at a public meeting."

He added: "The Police Ombudsman is now investigating that complaint."

The PSNI said it would be inappropriate to comment on the complaint as it is under investigation by the Police Ombudsman.

The Belfast Telegraph attempted to contact Gerry Adams, but he was not available for comment.

DUP Policing Board member Jonathan Craig described the Ombudsman probe as a worrying development.

He said: "I do not want to prejudice the Ombudsman's investigation but it would be an incredibly worrying development if it was upheld.

"The Ombudsman must investigate every aspect of what is alleged to have occurred, especially to discover whether this alleged exchange was instigated by the police or by Gerry Adams."

In a separate probe, the Police Ombudsman is also investigating if detectives properly examined whether Gerry Adams covered up his brother's crimes by not telling police for nine years that Liam Adams had confessed to child sex abuse.

In 2011 PSNI officers recommended that the Public Prosecution Service take no action against the Sinn Fein president.

Both the first and the second completed trial raised serious questions for Gerry Adams. It emerged that as far back as 1987 the Sinn Fein leader was aware of the abuse allegation against his brother – an allegation Liam Adams denied that same year when confronted by his brother in Buncrana, Co Donegal.

Giving evidence during the first trial, Mr Adams told the court that in 2000 Liam Adams admitted to him he had sexually assaulted his daughter on one occasion.

It was not until 2009 that Gerry Adams told police about Liam Adams' partial confession.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/police-briefed-gerry-adams-on-paedophile-brother-liams-case-before-trial-claim-30271996.html

It's interesting that the Belfast Telegraph still has the story on it's website, so it looks as though they are not giving in to Gerry's threats.

So anyone who has taken a libel case against a paper is just a threat on their part in your opinion ? Nothing to do with clearing their name.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Love Lies Bleeding (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼