Gaa brawls

It's bollix of situation really, I was at game a few weeks ago and there was a minor incident in the game with a player being a bit late with a tackle (U12) but one of the supporters kept shouting at the ref (fairly abusive and foul mouthed at times) for the next 15 minutes over it and every free from there.

A m8 of mine walked over to the side where he was standing and quietly and discreetly had a word with him, not a big scene or anything. It worked and it stopped, afterwards the opposing mentor thanked my m8 and said it was an ongoing issue with the same parent.

If a club can't control supporters at kids games then they should be made wait outside the ground. It just spoils the enjoyment for everyone else.

There is no way I would tolerate it from parents at our game, they have lost the plot if they think it is acceptable. In the end kids on the pitch do silly things at times and it gets dealt with by the ref or the coaches. Roaring from the sideline about it doesn't help anyone, least of all the kids who are the subject of the angst!

My own young fella got absolutely buried yesterday morning with a slide tackle straight into his standing ankle, 100% intentional and left him in tears hurt. The tackle was from a young fella completely frustrated because they were being well beaten, no point roaring and screaming at anyone as the young fella just lost the head, its not his managers fault and he will learn himself hopefully.

I know of one incident recently in an U9 camogie match where the mentor
of one team roared at a young girl who had injured one of his players,
The mother of the child he roared at then got involved in a screaming match
with the mentor,

i remember my cousin telling me he daughter had started playing camogie at 7 years of age.In her 1st game her daughter got a blow in the ankle and wandered over to mammy for sympathy only for manny to tell her not to be afraid and to get her back which she duly did to the mortification of her mother.

Anyone who abuses a mentor, referee or player at a juvenile game should be psychologically assessed, it
Only happens in soccer and the gaaaaa of course and will never change with either organisation for lots of reasons

a lad i know big gaa background his son got a scholarship to a rugby playing school in cork. He got selected in the front row for a friendly against pres bray u 14 and was sin binned in the 1st half for taking out the opposition prop forward with a punch to the head as instructed by the trainer.
Rugby is a gentleman's game played by thugs as they say.

I was at Páirc Uí Chaoimh yesterday and brought my kids up to the section where all the young kids were cheering happily for the Barrs (even at the end when they were 10+ points down which was cute - shows the power of fizzy drinks and taytos!).

Just after half time the Barrs keeper made a howler of a mistake for the Rockies first goal and one man in his forties right next to all the kids started roaring "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING BOY!". It was beyond pathetic out of a grown man.

My kids were still at the tuck shop at the time, otherwise I'd have had to say something. He got a few cold looks from other parents around me and I think he got the message.

a lad i know big gaa background his son got a scholarship to a rugby playing school in cork. He got selected in the front row for a friendly against pres bray u 14 and was sin binned in the 1st half for taking out the opposition prop forward with a punch to the head as instructed by the trainer.

Few unsavoury incidents involving a mentor in a large West Cork rugby club as well in recent times. Guy involved quite well known in Cork business circles.

You got that @rseways bb

Rugby is said to be a thugs game played by gentlemen, whereas soccer is supposedly a gentleman's game played by thugs.

Seems VERY weird that a trainer would tell any youngster to punch an opponent in the head. And surprised he only got sin binned for it. If the ref saw it to send him to the sin bin then he saw enough of it to give a straight red card. No place for that carry on even in the adult professional game, much less at U14 schoolboy. The IRB are clamping down a lot on contact with an opponents head even in tackles, never mind a deliberate punch.

I was at Páirc Uí Chaoimh yesterday and brought my kids up to the section where all the young kids were cheering happily for the Barrs (even at the end when they were 10+ points down which was cute - shows the power of fizzy drinks and taytos!).

Just after half time the Barrs keeper made a howler of a mistake for the Rockies first goal and one man in his forties right next to all the kids started roaring "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING BOY!". It was beyond pathetic out of a grown man.

My kids were still at the tuck shop at the time, otherwise I'd have had to say something. He got a few cold looks from other parents around me and I think he got the message.

Ah Jesus you're very soft. Only natural to react like that in the moment to a keeper making a mistake in a knock out game. What did you want him to do, sit there and say "oh fiddly dee", and carry on? Cold looks from the softies...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Dirty Circus
The Pav, Careys Lane

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Tony Cantwell - Litterbox

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼