GAA and match fixing

After reading about the two U21 football semi finals on line and in the papers there seems alot stories of how bad/bias the referees decisions and performances were, with some peoples making claims (supporters/media) that a Dublin v Roscommon final would bring in a bigger gate in the final.
Thus maybe impacting on the referees and the results.

Do ye think this goes on where top GAA officials be it at intercounty or club level try and influence results with referee appointments for certain games with a nod and a wink to referee before the game?

Whatever about a player trying to engineer something in game, like red card in a game or whatever, there's simply no way some ref wouldn't have spilled the beans if such things happened.

Unfortunately though, I think it can come down, plain and simple, to personal bias on too many occasions from refs. And in that context they may feel their masters might prefer certain results and may look to kiss some ass, but that can go against them when they make to obvious an effort to influence games.

After reading about the two U21 football semi finals on line and in the papers there seems alot stories of how bad/bias the referees decisions and performances were, with some peoples making claims (supporters/media) that a Dublin v Roscommon final would bring in a bigger gate in the final.
Thus maybe impacting on the referees and the results.

Do ye think this goes on where top GAA officials be it at intercounty or club level try and influence results with referee appointments for certain games with a nod and a wink to referee before the game?

Have been a match official at many an inter-county game and no referee that I have worked with has been influenced by any official. I have experienced two separate episodes where one attempt was made to influence the match officials before the game and one where an official attempted to have full-time blown (he spoke to the ref through the radio/ear-piece) because the game was level at that particular moment. NEITHER attempt worked. Just to add that this was two episodes over about three hundred inter-county games and it's never happened at club/county/divisional level (over 3000 matches under my belt at club/county/divisional level).

I don't think I could honestly ref a kerry, dublin or kilkenny game. Even if I wanted to be fair i'm sure I'd subconsciously rob them.

I'd imagine plenty of refs from weaker counties have that problem with cork.

Have been a match official at many an inter-county game and no referee that I have worked with has been influenced by any official. I have experienced two separate episodes where one attempt was made to influence the match officials before the game and one where an official attempted to have full-time blown (he spoke to the ref through the radio/ear-piece) because the game was level at that particular moment. NEITHER attempt worked. Just to add that this was two episodes over about three hundred inter-county games and it's never happened at club/county/divisional level (over 3000 matches under my belt at club/county/divisional level).

With the white jacket or the black gansaí?

Were those 2 efforts reported, if not then the ref was complicit in keeping such practices going?

Whatever about a player trying to engineer something in game, like red card in a game or whatever, there's simply no way some ref wouldn't have spilled the beans if such things happened.

Unfortunately though, I think it can come down, plain and simple, to personal bias on too many occasions from refs. And in that context they may feel their masters might prefer certain results and may look to kiss some ass, but that can go against them when they make to obvious an effort to influence games.

With some refs, I think it's more of a case of having a row with a particular player or club and getting "revenge" in the next game rather than kissing ass with their "masters". There are some refs who are biased against certain clubs for reasons only known to themselves most likely something that has nothing to do with the match itself but rather some slight or perceived slight against the ref himself, the refs club, the refs parish, the refs family etc....

I don't think I could honestly ref a kerry, dublin or kilkenny game. Even if I wanted to be fair i'm sure I'd subconsciously rob them.

I'd imagine plenty of refs from weaker counties have that problem with cork.

If I was reffing Kerry in an All Ireland Final all I would be thinking about is how I would do my Tommy Sugrue moment to them

With the white jacket or the black gansaí?

Were those 2 efforts reported, if not then the ref was complicit in keeping such practices going?

Both with the white jacket and the black jersey. Although I've never been approached directly or indirectly myself when refereeing, I have given a statement to an investigating committee about the one incident when I was a linesman and an attempt was made in the dressing room before a match (this was part of a separate investigation into the runai in question - ref never reported it). I was never called for the one where the call was made over the radio as the ref didn't report that either.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Fist Of Pure Emotion - Spring Fling!

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼