Fuck off with your Jazzing!

Jazz is the last refuge of the untalented. Jazz musicians enjoy themselves more than anyone listening to them does - Tony Wilson (24Hour Party People)

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Its a shame there will be little evidence of it in Cork this weekend as most that is passed for Jazz is generally some lame cover band playing Mustang Sally and other dross.

I'm rather indifferent to jazz, some good some bad and all that. However it never ceases to amaze me how everyone becomes a jazz expert this time of year.
You usually get some smug plonker telling you how he's been a lifelong fan of some obscure pianist who is considered a genius because his set includes a radiohead cover. Strange that when jazz gigs are on the rest of the year without a huge sponsor promoting them they are usually attended by about 10 people. And that's including the 8 piece band.

Jazz might be the stupidest thing anyone ever came up with. The band starts a song, but then everything falls apart and the musicians just play whatever they want for as long they can stand it. People take turns noodling around, and once they run out of ideas and have to stop, the audience claps. I’m getting angry just thinking about.

Extract from 'The Daily Shout'.

Thats like summing up every sport as 'you throw/kick a ball around a field for 70/80/90 minutes'.

Love the weekend meself. Great buzz around. Fuck the begrudgers.

Thats like summing up every sport as 'you throw/kick a ball around a field for 70/80/90 minutes'.

Love the weekend meself. Great buzz around. Fuck the begrudgers.

That the best analogy you can dream up? Pathetic. 'Great buzz around' You sound like that Jazz plonker they parodied on The Fast Show...Wouldn't you be a 'blast' to be stuck in an elevator with...

Maybe endure ten minutes of Miles Davis...then I'm off, not quite a grim as Jedward...but...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Tony Milner

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼