Fitzgibbon/Sigerson

I was at the game today and although I'm a proud Cork man I have to admit I was there to support MIC today due to them being captained by Colin O'Brien from my own club.
One notable and concerning matter on the UCC side compared to Mary I was they seemed to be playing for themselves rather that the team today unlike MIC, plenty of wasted scoring opportunities for Ucc when an extra pass off the shoulder would have been a certain score. I say it's concerning because these lads have nearly all played underage intercounty with eachother, I would have thought they'd be well gelled at this stage. Shane O'Brien was unmarkable at times and I can see him being a thorn in our side for years to come, Graham Mulcahy out the door and this lad straight in I'd say. Thought Mark Howell would have been brought on to try nullify him considering he was Corks go to man for Screeney last year. UCC just never got going, slow start, looked to come back in to it and then held at arms reach again. As someone said above, UCC's subs walk on to that Mary I team, but they were out worked and out played today.
Would love to see Wall involved at some level with Cork underage teams, I think he's done very well with limited assets with MI recently, they don't have the superstars they used to have but he still gets a few scalps.

I was at the game today and although I'm a proud Cork man I have to admit I was there to support MIC today due to them being captained by Colin O'Brien from my own club.
One notable and concerning matter on the UCC side compared to Mary I was they seemed to be playing for themselves rather that the team today unlike MIC, plenty of wasted scoring opportunities for Ucc when an extra pass off the shoulder would have been a certain score. I say it's concerning because these lads have nearly all played underage intercounty with eachother, I would have thought they'd be well gelled at this stage. Shane O'Brien was unmarkable at times and I can see him being a thorn in our side for years to come, Graham Mulcahy out the door and this lad straight in I'd say. Thought Mark Howell would have been brought on to try nullify him considering he was Corks go to man for Screeney last year. UCC just never got going, slow start, looked to come back in to it and then held at arms reach again. As someone said above, UCC's subs walk on to that Mary I team, but they were out worked and out played today.
Would love to see Wall involved at some level with Cork underage teams, I think he's done very well with limited assets with MI recently, they don't have the superstars they used to have but he still gets a few scalps.
Thanks for that, very interesting (and not v reassuring). One thing - Howell is a handy player but he was mis-matched with Screeney, they moved him after ten minutes or so. He might have done better on Shane O'Brien, but he is a very dangerous forward as well.

Diarmaid Ryan, Declan McLaughlin, Colin O Brien, Adam Hogan, Shane Meehan, Shane O Brien. That’s a very strong list of players. The other lads on that team are very good hurlers as well, just not household names. Mary I have probably done a lot more work together I would say compared to UCC. No way they should be losing by 8 though.

What happened Rob Downey? Hope it’s not too serious. How did Ben Cunningham play? Away to UL in the quarter final is a verg tough route. Mary I have a fine team. Shane O’Brien is a serious inside forward.

How did Colin go @HondaGaels
I thought it was his best game he's played in the Fitz, thought for the past 2 years he didn't stand out as a potential county player but he looked it today. Threw himself about and imposed his size on UCC.
Thanks for that, very interesting (and not v reassuring). One thing - Howell is a handy player but he was mis-matched with Screeney, they moved him after ten minutes or so. He might have done better on Shane O'Brien, but he is a very dangerous forward as well.
To be fair Screeney would have taken any of the Cork backs 1 on 1 with the space left in front of him that day. SOB rotated his position today and they never left one man on him directly which I thought was strange. None of the backs got time to adjust to him really before he was out on the other corner.
Diarmaid Ryan, Declan McLaughlin, Colin O Brien, Adam Hogan, Shane Meehan, Shane O Brien. That’s a very strong list of players. The other lads on that team are very good hurlers as well, just not household names. Mary I have probably done a lot more work together I would say compared to UCC. No way they should be losing by 8 though.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying MIC had a poor team, but you've the likes of James Dwyer, Mark Howell, Colin Walsh not getting any game time, Barrett, Flynn and Iarlaith Daly coming off the bench. It's a strong UCC panel. MIC are just lacking a bit in a few positions, nice club players but maybe not enough to really win this out. Big scalp taken today but I expect UCC to bounce back.
What happened Rob Downey? Hope it’s not too serious. How did Ben Cunningham play? Away to UL in the quarter final is a verg tough route. Mary I have a fine team. Shane O’Brien is a serious inside forward.
I thought Ben was probably the main culprit for not making the extra pass. William Buckley seemed to get rightly annoyed at him at one stage in the second half for not putting him through. He was always flying off the shoulder and I thought UCC should have utilised him more. UCC's biggest mistake was letting Diarmuid Ryan have so much time to deliver dangerous ball in to MIC's full forward line

Good to hear that about Colin O'Brien. I've been posting on here about him for a while, might be too late for him but I'd love to see him given a run during the league.

Very poor result considering some here would have half of that team starting for Cork come championship.
They really wouldn't- the majority of the UCC players that are in and around the Cork squad are still fairly green.
Agree with whoever said that as of now Downey and Millerick are probably the only certified regular starters.
For the others they will have to show up like demons in training and fight their way in.
Consistency of performance is I guess the main challenge for most of them.
Have high hopes that this year will be a strong one for Barrett.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Io Capitano (15A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼