Fintan O'Toole on Fictional Gerry Adams

It’s time for Gerry Adams to bow out, and take his fictional counterpart with him

Fintan O'Toole

Tue, Nov 5, 2013, 12:02

First published: Tue, Nov 5, 2013, 12:02

One of the main political leaders in Ireland is Joe McGuigan. In March 1972, when Gerry Adams was arrested and interrogated at Palace barracks in Belfast, he insisted that it was a case of mistaken identity. As he recounted in his autobiography, Before the Dawn, “I had seized upon the device of refusing to admit I was Gerry Adams as a means of combating my interrogation. By continuing to assert that I was Joe McGuigan, I reasoned that I would thwart the interrogation by bogging it down on this issue”.

More than 40 years later, Sinn Féin is still led by a man who refuses to admit he is Gerry Adams. Joe McGuigan is a remarkable man. He may, indeed, be unique. In the maelstrom of west Belfast in the late 1960s and early 1970s, Joe stood out as a young man of infinite patience and pacific resolve. While pretty much every other young man was drawn into some act of affray, Joe, as they might put it Belfast, never done nothing.

As he told Gay Byrne on the old Late Late Show, he not alone did not join the IRA, he never took part in a riot or threw a stone at the police or the army.

This pacifism was all the more remarkable because he came from a family that had, on both sides, long links with the IRA, links that it retained even when the organisation seemed moribund before the Troubles.

From that background, one might have expected Joe McGuigan to be a bit more like the man who looked and spoke exactly like him, Gerry Adams. Gerry did not have Joe’s Gandhian principles. Gerry not only joined the IRA but quickly became, in effect, its commander in Belfast.

This was not a secret. Gerry appeared in his beret as part of the guard of honour at IRA funerals. He wrote articles about IRA strategy when he was interned in Long Kesh. He was such an important figure that when, in July 1972, the IRA met the British government’s Northern Ireland secretary Willie Whitelaw for secret talks, it did so only on the precondition that Gerry Adams be released from Long Kesh to take part. He continued to defend the “legitimacy” of the IRA’s violence over the next three decades.

Gerry Adams, unlike the strangely passive Joe McGuigan, is a complex, genuinely enigmatic figure. No one really doubts that he did hideous things: he was a leading figure in an organisation whose sole purpose was to kill people.

Equally, almost no one doubts that he showed remarkable political skill and personal courage both in recognising the futility of these murders and in getting the IRA to stop. And when he was in the process of executing that highly delicate manoeuvre, many people were prepared to accept Joe McGuigan as a necessary fiction, a way to “thwart the interrogation” of a past that needed to remain, at that time, unspoken.

Temporary convenience
But the fiction was also understood as a temporary convenience. Adams himself, in Before the Dawn, published in 1996, made it clear that much of his own story was indeed a fiction: the book has an explicitly fictional chapter – the only one that deals with his experience as a gunman preparing an ambush. (“It might or might not be right to kill, but sometimes it was necessary.”) In the preface to the book, he seemed to suggest that he would tell the true story later: “I am necessarily constrained . . . the participants in any conflict cannot tell the entire story until some time after that conflict is fully resolved.”

Fifteen years after the Belfast Agreement is surely time enough for the “entire story” that Adams implicitly promised to be told. But he won’t tell it. He is still Joe McGuigan and one of our main political parties is still led by a fictional character.

Does this matter? It matters a great deal, on both sides of the Border. In the North, Adams’s stubborn fictions make impossible something that Sinn Féin itself repeatedly and rightly demands – a proper accounting by all the actors in the conflict for the deaths they inflicted.

That right belongs to the families of the 11 people in Ballymurphy killed by the British army in August 1971, to those Catholics murdered as a result of collusion between security forces and loyalist killers, to the families of the Disappeared – to everyone, without distinction.

That accounting simply can’t happen while a key political force is led by a man who refuses even to admit that he is Gerry Adams.

It matters in the South too. Sinn Féin is now a highly significant, and in many ways constructive part of the democratic process. That process desperately needs a radical renewal based on accountability, honesty and morality. It can’t function if those demands apply to everyone except the leader of a party that insists on holding everyone else to account while maintaining a cult-like adherence to an obvious lie.

Gerry Adams has had ample opportunity to end this corrosive fiction. There is now little hope that he will ever do so. He should withdraw gracefully and take Joe McGuigan with him.

So did Aherne but a dark shadow over all of them.

Aherne just took the credit and limelight for Reynolds actually unlocking the vast majority of it

Id like to think Reynolds was not quite as filthy as Bertie but he probably was. He would no doubt point to 2 separate investigations that found otherwise ;)

I won that hoor a fucking fortune one day one the horses while I lost my last few quid :(

To watch the video of the exchange, press the link at the bottom.

Edwin Poots in 'paedophile-protecting' taunt at Gerry Adams

Health Minister Edwin Poots has accused Sinn Féin of being more interested in covering up for their "paedophile-protecting president" than serving the needs of the community.

The accusation, aimed at Gerry Adams, came during an assembly debate at Stormont.

Mr Adams has been accused of withholding information about his niece's sexual abuse by his brother.

Liam Adams was found guilty last month of raping his daughter Áine.

The assembly Speaker, William Hay, shouted "order" and warned Mr Poots to be careful with the language he used, reminding him there was a standard of debate.

Mr Poots said he accepted that but added there was a "standard in life that people expect".

"When people are aware of paedophile activities taking place they should report it," he said.

"And the leader of Sinn Féin, the president, was aware and he believed it and he didn't report it.

Vile abuse
"So don't come with me seeking withdrawals. You'll not be getting any withdrawal from me on this issue."

The DUP MLA's remarks came during a clash with Sinn Féin MLA Caitriona Ruane in a debate over the ban on blood donations from gay men.

Mr Poots said he had received vile abuse in recent weeks, directed at both at him and his family, by so-called liberals.

The assembly later passed a Sinn Féin motion, as amended by the UUP and Greens, urging the health minister to lift a ban on gay men who have been sexually inactive for one year giving blood, or to resign if he feels unable to do so.

Earlier in the debate, Mr Hay chided members of the DUP benches during a speech by Ms Ruane.

The speaker warned he would name members of the DUP who were heckling her.

On Monday in the assembly, Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness had defended how Gerry Adams had handled the issue of his brother's sexual abuse case.

The deputy first minister said both the RUC and the social services had been first told about the allegations in 1987.

He added that Gerry Adams had supported his niece when she reported the abuse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24819527

Paedo gate and all the shit about The Dissapeared is boiling. One more blast of heat and Adams leadership may be cooked.

The TDs like Pearse ODoherty must be thinking the time for Adams to step aside cant be too far away. Gerry is still barstool box office tho.

Paedo gate and all the shit about The Dissapeared is boiling. One more blast of heat and Adams leadership may be cooked.

The TDs like Pearse ODoherty must be thinking the time for Adams to step aside cant be too far away. Gerry is still barstool box office tho.

Sin é.

If Gerry steps down, it will be from his stepping down and not from anybody pushing him. The will isn't there. He missed a trick not owning up to his past when he had the chance to in the way McGuinness partly did. Now he's massively compromised in his role of trying to lead a party in the south dealing with major economic and social issues alien to what brought him to political prominence.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Roy Orbison Reborn starring Dean Bourne

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼