European and Local elections thread.

The likes of Roche in Fermoy is popular with farmers etc. I think what was meant is they aren’t one trick ponies unlike the likes of Blighe. They have the racism if a little less extreme but get their support from other issues too.
Blighe's only campaign stance is anti-immigration. I don't see him stand for any other issues. Don't you know, he'll get votes anyway as immigration is a hot topic locally at the moment. The other independents seem to have more strings to their bow. It will be interesting if there is going to be a big shake up this year but as previously said, the established party candidates will probably get back in. Frank O' Flynn is 75 years age and was supposedly retiring but loves a good election so put his name back in the hat. I don't think Nelius Cotter will get in as he will be 3rd pick of the FF voters.

Blighe's only campaign stance is anti-immigration. I don't see him stand for any other issues. Don't you know, he'll get votes anyway as immigration is a hot topic locally at the moment. The other independents seem to have more strings to their bow. It will be interesting if there is going to be a big shake up this year but as previously said, the established party candidates will probably get back in. Frank O' Flynn is 75 years age and was supposedly retiring but loves a good election so put his name back in the hat. I don't think Nelius Cotter will get in as he will be 3rd pick of the FF voters.
Cotter has my vote because of what you’ve just mentioned there. Frank O’Flynn is too old. FF needs younger people in the party. The big difference from 2019 is the number of candidates. A much more crowded field this time.

A quick look at the result for County Cork shows FF and FG dominating most wards.
I can't see the same happening today, given that both are in government and FF polling in the mid-teens.

But name recognition may pull some out of the fire.

Ivan yates declared that FF is going to lose the guts of 80-100 councillors.
Based on current polling figures, that's about right. Based on current polling percentages they stand to lose more than 110 but as you say, profile or good work for local area may save a few despite the party banner.

There will be regional variations too - they may keep most or all cllrs in some rural areas and lose out completely in some Dublin wards.

Fermoy Local Electoral Area - 15 candidates (6 seats)

Deirdre O'Brien, Frank O' Flynn & Nelius Cotter - (Fianna Fáil)
Noel McCarthy & Kay Dawson - (Fine Gael)
Joe O' Brien - (Sinn Féin)
Diarmuid Hanley - (Labour)
Mary Ryder - (Greens)
Ken Brennan - (Independent Ireland)
Derek Blighe - (Ireland First)
Peter O' Donoghue, William O' Leary, Frank Roche, Joe Tobin & Thomas Horgan - (Independents)

Who do ye see getting in? Will there be a big Independent vote or will it be the same names back in again? The general consensus is that change is needed, but it looks like the traditional voters could keep it more of the same. I see Derek Blighe is going for the Local election and for Europe so he will be on both ballot papers. Big competition this year with 15 candidates running for only 6 seats.
I'm guessing that's the same Mary Ryder that ran for the greens in south Central in 2004. She was Turners Cross based at that stage.so is she just a name on the ballot this time around. Seems a strange one not every with the dunkettle interchange could you say she is close by.

I'm guessing that's the same Mary Ryder that ran for the greens in south Central in 2004. She was Turners Cross based at that stage.so is she just a name on the ballot this time around. Seems a strange one not every with the dunkettle interchange could you say she is close by.
Yeah her address is still Turners Cross according to the Cork County Council website. A name on the ballot paper I'd say as there isn't a poster of her to be seen around the place.

He maybe but dont put it on election posters as it trying to promote themselves with a sense of superiority.

I think someone else pointed out that Dr Sheehan has put up the fact that he's a doctor on his posters too. Is your "don't put it on election posters" rule for everyone or just for those of certain parties?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

29th Jul 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Tony Roberts

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼