Economics Nerd Central/ The Global Inflation Thread

Who could possibly have predicted that rates would increase so much over the past year?

Hope folks took the advice last year and fixed mortgages.

The situation at Silicon Valley Bank is unlikely to be the end of that story.
There's $11 trillion of mortgage backed securities (MBS) in the US alone.

The European Systematic Risk Board reckons there's less than a trillion of equivalent securities in the EU.
1679045455895.png

So there is a chance that the EU avoids a major fall out at a financial system level from higher interest rates, but I really wouldn't rule it out. Don't know what the exposure of EU institutions are to the US MBS market. The last financial crisis was primarily driven by the US market.

Remember CDOs? Collateralised Debt Obligations?
Well a variant of that, the Collateralised Loan Obligation (CLO) is back:
1679045725977.png

It all looks and smells far too familiar. I think it's safe to say that on at least some fronts, this time it's different, but it's concerning when exactly the same sort of issues that caused the last crisis seem to be popping up again.

Who could possibly have predicted that rates would increase so much over the past year?

Hope folks took the advice last year and fixed mortgages.

The situation at Silicon Valley Bank is unlikely to be the end of that story.
There's $11 trillion of mortgage backed securities (MBS) in the US alone.

The European Systematic Risk Board reckons there's less than a trillion of equivalent securities in the EU.
View attachment 19770

So there is a chance that the EU avoids a major fall out at a financial system level from higher interest rates, but I really wouldn't rule it out. Don't know what the exposure of EU institutions are to the US MBS market. The last financial crisis was primarily driven by the US market.

Remember CDOs? Collateralised Debt Obligations?
Well a variant of that, the Collateralised Loan Obligation (CLO) is back:
View attachment 19771

It all looks and smells far too familiar. I think it's safe to say that on at least some fronts, this time it's different, but it's concerning when exactly the same sort of issues that caused the last crisis seem to be popping up again.
The thing is, if you think there is a recession coming due to a banking crisis then you don't want to be on a fixed rate mortgage as interest rates will collapse, like in 2008.

The thing is, if you think there is a recession coming due to a banking crisis then you don't want to be on a fixed rate mortgage as interest rates will collapse, like in 2008.
That's only true if you don't have significant inflation at the same time. Last time out the central banks were able to print money without inflationary consequences.
This time, not so much, especially with the BoE

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Blues Jam (Players Welcome)

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼