De Tunnel

Several times coming from the East
I've taken wrong exit for the tunnel and have to go to Dunkettle roundabout
And come back.
It's mad when you watch the two videos and the slowdown because of the tunnel and then free again
Just as I say it Bloomfield west is clear, sods law.
There’s probably twice the amount of traffic on it now from people taking the wrong exit and then having to come back around again to find the correct one. (Ok ok I speak for myself!)

I was coming from Cobh side and hoped to go to the city centre, took the wrong turn and had to go to Mahon Point to turn around in their car park to get back through the tunnel to head to town 😂

Some of you here should be prosecuted for not driving with due care and attention.

I have used that intersection more or less daily, even a few times a day and I have never had any issues there.

All in all they have done a good job on this project with the exception of east to west, they've made a hames of that.

I work in little Island and it's a nightmare anywhere near 4 o clock on wards.
While that is arguably true in certain respects, the main issue is that the traffic split is not 50/50 - East/West is more like 75% of the traffic. This causes huge problems at the tunnel westbound as all that traffic is funneled down to 50% of the road space (one lane) approaching the tunnel. Add in the inevitable effects of merging three busy lanes together in a couple of hundred metres and the issue is obvious - inappropriate design. This problem is structural - it cannot be solved while maintaining free flow absent an additional tunnel bore. I think it's a scandal TBH - what was the point of spending quarter of a billion when the experience of the average user has not improved? Those saying it's much better are likely coming from the M8 southbound.

While that is arguably true in certain respects, the main issue is that the traffic split is not 50/50 - East/West is more like 75% of the traffic. This causes huge problems at the tunnel westbound as all that traffic is funneled down to 50% of the road space (one lane) approaching the tunnel. Add in the inevitable effects of merging three busy lanes together in a couple of hundred metres and the issue is obvious - inappropriate design. This problem is structural - it cannot be solved while maintaining free flow absent an additional tunnel bore. I think it's a scandal TBH - what was the point of spending quarter of a billion when the experience of the average user has not improved? Those saying it's much better are likely coming from the M8 southbound.
Another problem they didn't factor in was that the increased flow of traffic East-West in the morning through the tunnel just pushes the problem onto Bloomfield which is now a bottleneck most mornings at peak times.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Duke Special
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

7th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Mad Banners

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 5pm

More events ▼