Cyclists

Sums up cyclist attitude in one imho. Who in their right mind would even think about having a stroll on the South Ring Road? What mindset would you actually require for that to enter your head?
It is in response to this:
In the title alone, Catherine inadvertently references the quasi fascist mindset of many 'Green' types - namely that motorists are somehow less than human, a type of untermenschen. Are motorists not citizens also? Or is that label only reserved for those whose circumstances allow them to travel solely by public transport, foot, or bike?

On the South Ring, everyone but motorists are untermenschen.

If you're living in rural Ireland and don't have a car, you're fairly fucked.

This is the reality today:
1714046260971.png

The balance on Ireland's roads and streets is currently massively skewed towards motorists. Lot of folk on here neither see that reality nor understand the major negative consequences on Ireland's health, wealth, environment and society.

That lady is calling out for a rebalancing, but apparently that's akin to labelling motorists as untermench. Considering the existing biases in Ireland's built environment that's...not sensible.

I have absolutely no idea what happened, but this junction is a classic example of the "paint is not cycle infrastructure" maxim. There is zero separation of cyclists from traffic.

What are you talking about? Sure we have some of the best cycling infrastructure in the world, don't you know...*

*I agree completely, cycling infrastructure in Ireland is generally shite where it exists. And astonishingly many people are against improving it.

See how fast the cops arrest you for being a hazard to yourself and others.
That is exactly my point.

There's massive infrastructure dedicated only to motoring.

There is some dedicated to pedestrians (albeit it's not good enough).

And there is some paint with the occasional protected pole for cyclists.

Apparently the latter is the major problem and the motorists are being oppressed.

Sorry but that makes no sense to me.

When separate cycle lanes (rather than just painted ones) are provided, do you think it should be mandatory for cyclists on the roadways where they are provided, to actually use them? If you think it should be obligatory then fine. If not, then alas insisting that physically separate cycle lanes be provided in the wake of such tragedies, without any stipulation that they actually be used if and when they are provided, rings a bit hollow I'm afraid.
No as its not best international practice.

People use their emotions to debate this, not facts and studies.

You mean the perception of embittered middle aged men like yourself?

Today a woman in her 20s was killed by a motor vehicle, that should give you pause for thought but alas no.

You utterly predictable bore.
If @Meridian is not giving out about cyclists, he is posting racist shite about immigrants and travellers in other forums.

That is exactly my point.

There's massive infrastructure dedicated only to motoring.

There is some dedicated to pedestrians (albeit it's not good enough).

And there is some paint with the occasional protected pole for cyclists.

Apparently the latter is the major problem and the motorists are being oppressed.

I live in one of the most cyclist friendly cities in the world and there plenty roads here comparable to the South Ring.

You can neither walk nor cycle on these because its a fucking insanely dangerous idea which was not considered at the design stage.

Last edited:
In the title alone, Catherine inadvertently references the quasi fascist mindset of many 'Green' types - namely that motorists are somehow less than human, a type of untermenschen. Are motorists not citizens also? Or is that label only reserved for those whose circumstances allow them to travel solely by public transport, foot, or bike?

Hilarious.
Since you are a regular on this thread, you don't see the pejorative way cyclists are talked about?
On the day a woman was killed by a truck, you have others trying to make jokes about how cyclists are perceived with stupid 20-year-old memes.

It ain't cyclists killing people on our roads, its cars and drivers. The onus and change must be on them to get their act together or get off the road.
I am sure you see plenty of bad driving when you are driving about the place in your new black tesla S. You wont say nothing about it though.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼