Cyclists

of course you do

thats how insurance works, otherwise everyone involved in a serious accident could never afford to drive again

As do all drivers when they pay their premiums, I'm not in a situation where people who drive green cars don't need it because they have less accidents yet they can avail themselves of the fund. I have no problem paying my share of what insuring drivers costs insurance companies, taking my risk into the equation to try and have some fairness.

Added to this I also have to pay for cyclists who cause accidents, the difference is they make no contribution at all, I don't understand how you can say that's ok

The 'motorists pay tax' line is true, but totally misguided.

We have an astronomical road network in this country. You can rest assured that even if we upgraded up cycling infrastructure to that of the Netherlands it would still hardly make a dent in the overwhelming majority that is spend on actual roads. As someone who pay road tax, my major gripe is that we're spending money on upkeeping every back road in the country. We should let these roads go to gravel, and focus on having higher quality main roads.

In our cities, money should be spent on creating a high quality cycling network because it simply has massive benefits for all, the same we should have to spend money on footpaths and bus stops.

Another point being missed is that the vast majority of cyclists own a car of some sort anyway, and so are paying road tax.

Hence why their insurance is only £40 a year on average.

No one is suggesting it's comparable with car insurance, it's way cheaper for the reasons you've stated. The £40 is based on what insurers currently pay out, I don't think it's unreasonable for cyclists to pay towards that,

Just to be clear, would it be for all cyclists and legally enforced?
Would it mean that my older brother would have to pay £160 annually (assuming the rate is consistent and not higher for children) for the family to be able to cycle together?

Would you have to get some sort of insurance badge, to show you comply with the law?

What if I borrow my wife's bicycle? Or is it only a factor in an accident and, after getting your bones rearranged by a truck, you get landed with a nice little criminal conviction too?

Lot of ambiguity and laws needed here.

Would anyone using a bike rental scheme have to get insurance too? What about repeat claims? Surely £40 isn't a fixed rate? Or would it be like the Obamacare of cycle insurance?

As do all drivers when they pay their premiums, I'm not in a situation where people who drive green cars don't need it because they have less accidents yet they can avail themselves of the fund. I have no problem paying my share of what insuring drivers costs insurance companies, taking my risk into the equation to try and have some fairness.

Added to this I also have to pay for cyclists who cause accidents, the difference is they make no contribution at all, I don't understand how you can say that's ok

You told me you did not pay for bad drivers earlier, now you dont mind paying for them again.. make up your mind :rolleyes:

Ill be watching for green Toyota Yaris with angry looking women drivers like a hawk now

Just to be clear, would it be for all cyclists and legally enforced?
Would it mean that my older brother would have to pay £160 annually (assuming the rate is consistent and not higher for children) for the family to be able to cycle together?

Would you have to get some sort of insurance badge, to show you comply with the law?

What if I borrow my wife's bicycle? Or is it only a factor in an accident and, after getting your bones rearranged by a truck, you get landed with a nice little criminal conviction too?

Lot of ambiguity and laws needed here.

Would anyone using a bike rental scheme have to get insurance too? What about repeat claims? Surely £40 isn't a fixed rate? Or would it be like the Obamacare of cycle insurance?

These are the worst kind of bike nazis, the ones who want to indoctrinate the children regardless of the risk to their safety.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Hollyz

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼