Cyclists

I think you need to read what I actually type.

I'm not happy for anyone to break the law, but I don't want to turn Ireland into a police state in order to mitigate it either.
You on the other hand have no issues with the latter.
Your attitude seems to be it's great that the gardai are using modern technology to catch errant motorists, but it would only be in a police state if they started using such technology to catch errant cyclists. :rolleyes:

That is a fallacy

Yes, we know that already and I have already dismantled that argument. Repeating it again doesn't make it true.

It wasn't researched, it was a theoretical exercise.
Where is the research where this can work on bikes?

I'm resistant to stupid populist ideas.

Claiming that you've "already dismantled that argument" when you haven't and then lecturing about how repeating it "doesn't make it true" shows some astounding lack of self-awareness, even from such as you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That is a fallacy

Yes, we know that already and I have already dismantled that argument. Repeating it again doesn't make it true.

It wasn't researched, it was a theoretical exercise.
Where is the research where this can work on bikes?

I'm resistant to stupid populist ideas.

Enough of your luddite drivel.

Instead of QR codes we can put transponders in bicycles.

They're already used in cycle racing, so there is no question this technology works and it can track speed, location and an identity number.

The only objection you can have is one based on your inability or unwillingness to follow the rules of the road in an accountable manner.

Your attitude seems to be it's great that the gardai are using modern technology to catch errant motorists, but it would only be in a police state if they started using such technology to catch errant cyclists. :rolleyes:

Implementing facial recognition technology on Irish Streets is something the majority of people would be dead set against. If you want to try and justify it in order to catch the odd cyclist breaking a red light, go ahead and lobby your local TD. You will be laughed out of it.

Catching motorists breaking red lights via technology is something that is done in many Western Liberal Democracies already by the way. So that to me is fine.

You've already claimed you've actually used such a QR system. There's even a phot of one of those QR cards suspended under the saddle been posted here.

Just how hard are you going to try avoid seeing that a QR card unique identifier is practical? Seems you'd do or say anything to stop errant cyclists being prosecuted for disobeying the Rules of the Road.

I've already done this one.

Having a QR code on a bike to be used for a bike-sharing scheme is one thing.
Having a QR code on a bike to be used by existing traffic cameras and CCTV is quite another. For one, the QR code is too small and the existing camera technology doesn't have the processing power nor the high-definition lenses to be able to track and scan a QR code going at speed.

If one was to implement this, its a bill that would be in the millions, if not tens of millions, just to catch the odd cyclist breaking a red light and give them a 40 euro fine. A complete waste of money, especially given cyclists dont kill people on our roads.
If road safety was your primary concern and not your hard-on for getting cyclists, one should put those millions in improving road safety and bike infrastructure.

You tried to claim that there'd be no way of identifying individual bicycles cycled at speeds of 20 to 30kmph. Nobody (other than you obviously) suggested an identifying mark as small as a stamp, but this QR code which individually identifies each bicycle would certainly suffice. And again you try to move the goal posts and suggest hundreds of thousands of cameras on roads to catch cyclists breaking the law. What's been suggested is the technology the gardai use to identify up to 6 cars per second travelling at much faster speeds could be utilised to catch and prosecute cyclists who don't obey the ROTR. Just as with motorists, cyclists that follow the ROTR would have nothing to fear.
You seemed chuffed that the technology was being used against motorists, but now it's shown that it could be used against errant cyclists if such QR codes were used, you don't seem happy. Funny that.
See above.

If it were that easy Soundy, why has it not been done in any jurisdiction in the world?
I sense the words, 'smoking ban' incoming... :)

Good idea. Now you're getting it.

Transponders in all road vehicles including bicycles.

The only objection you can have to this is based on your inability or your unwillingness to follow the rules of the road in an accountabe manner.

I'd say put a chip on every car, van and truck, and ping them each time they go over the speed limit and each time they disobey the rules of the road. Since 99.9999999999% of deaths occur using these vehicles we could well reduce road deaths down to zero.

If cyclists start killing hundreds of people (including children) a year, then we can talk about adding a transponder chip to them. Put first go after the low-hanging dangerous fruit. I'm glad we agree on this. :)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Rebel Frequencies Presents Songsmiths
The White Horse, Ballincollig

20th Apr 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Off Beats

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼