Cricket world cup

Could Eoin Morgan be the first Irishman to lift a world cup?
England bt S Africa today in the first game and are favourites to win it.
Wouldn't support England in soccer but like seeing them do well at cricket and against southern hemisphere teams in rugby .
Nice if the West Indies do well also.

I'm the same I like "England" - made up of English, Welsh, Scots, and of course Irish, to do well in the ashes against arrogant Aussies. But then when the English arrogance overtakes that of the Aussies, I'm in a bit of a quandary.

Never really took to the ODIs as much as the Tests tbh.

Perfect opening show from England yesterday - SA are by no means shite and were destroyed in the middle of the order. Morgan leading from the front - powered on the England innings with the bat (nailing 2 consecutive sixes at one point) and then deployed the attack perfectly to slice through SA in the reverse innings.

England have the big men to threaten a definite 300+ in every game. Only India can consistently manage that - as long as Kohli is delivering.

That was some catch out of Stokes too. It's a long month ahead but England currently living up to the hype.

Windies hammered Pakistan, all out for 105 . I.like the 50 over game , it's the 5 day test that's a head wrecker. Hope England win it.

Just in case you don't know this already it's on sky sports live, highlights late on channel 4,
And test match special (TMS) live on bbc4 longwave at least when England are playing.
Yip Brilliant catch by Stokes and lovely aggressive pace bowling by Archer which Alma can vouch for. OUCH.

Some great games this week - Bangladesh beating the Windies on Monday, NZ’s nail-biter against SA on Weds and then today’s great win for SL.

Sri Lanka refused to die this afternoon - some absolutely top-class attack from Malinga. It looked like England might make it with Stokes’ consecutive sixes when Malinga handed over but the recovery was short-lived. Some awful shot choices by England in wickets 5 thru 8.

They have their work cut out now - three consecutive matches against Aus, India and NZ. Realistically, one win should be OK and two should be a certainty for them. However, great to see the order slightly rocked after today’s result - SL and Bangladesh will be gunning for it now 8)

Just watched Morgan getting interviewed on SSN...........I get it is allowed by the rules and the structures of cricket but how is a guy from Dublin the captain of England? as opposed to say Ireland.

Just watched Morgan getting interviewed on SSN...........I get it is allowed by the rules and the structures of cricket but how is a guy from Dublin the captain of England? as opposed to say Ireland.

He played for Ireland for years - was a world-class player but never going to play on the highest stage. Ireland didn't even have test status at the time - and barely have it now. So he switched to England. Cricket is a bit different to other pro sports in that the club competitions (with the occasional exception of the Indian IPL) as nowhere near as high a level as the international game. To play on the highest stage you have to play for one of the top 9 countries.

He's like a world-class footballer from Gibraltar transferring to Spain - you could hardly blame him.

He played for Ireland for years - was a world-class player but never going to play on the highest stage. Ireland didn't even have test status at the time - and barely have it now. So he switched to England. Cricket is a bit different to other pro sports in that the club competitions (with the occasional exception of the Indian IPL) as nowhere near as high a level as the international game. To play on the highest stage you have to play for one of the top 9 countries.

He's like a world-class footballer from Gibraltar transferring to Spain - you could hardly blame him.

Arra he's not really Irish,he's from malahide.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Pretty Limited

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼